Arizona Aloha Festival - March 12 &13

Peace Train

Reaction score
The Arizona Aloha Festival is coming March 12 & 13 to Tempe Beach Park. It’s a free family event that brings awareness of Hawaiian and other South Pacific Islander cultures and heritage to the Valley. Food, music, live stage performances, classes, vendors, and arts & crafts activites are available from 10 am - 5 pm daily. Enter the raffle for a chance to win one of two trips to Maui.

I went a few years ago and had a great time! Last year, more than 175,000 people attended.

The best part for UU’ers?

Aunty Aloha’s Ukulele Corner. Instructors have loaner ukes available to teach your friends, family, or anyone else wanting to learn how to play. Ukuleles are also on loan if you forget yours and want to join in on the Kanikapila jam.

More info on The Arizona Aloha Festival facebook page

And, in case you didn't know, Kimo Hussey is going to be at Aunty Aloha's Ukulele Corner, at least some of the time.

I'll be there Saturday early day, for sure.

Kimo is going to be there?! Any details on when specifically? He would be amazing to see/meet.

And, in case you didn't know, Kimo Hussey is going to be at Aunty Aloha's Ukulele Corner, at least some of the time.

I'll be there Saturday early day, for sure.

Kimo is going to be there?! Any details on when specifically? He would be amazing to see/meet.

I IM'd him for details, but don't have them yet. I will post them when I get them. He is also doing a class/concert at ASU on Saturday.

If any of you folks plan on being there Saturday morning, we could have a mini-meetup.

Ok, here's the scoop: They prefer people sign up for Kimo's class by mail in the link provided above. You may alternatively sign up at the festival on Saturday or at the door of the event, before it starts.

If any of you folks plan on being there Saturday morning, we could have a mini-meetup.

I'd be in for that. What's a good time and spot to meet?

I have to leave the grounds by 1 or so. How about 11? I have a friend with a booth there, or we could meet at Auntie Aloha's.

To AZ UU'ers or visitors to the Valley - - We'll be meeting at the Aloha Festival at the Goo Enterprises booth this Saturday at 11 am. Private message for further details. Shaping up to be a great event!

Just got home from the Kimo Hussey class. He and Zanuck were great. I wish the class had actually been longer though!
Also, I got to meet fellow UU'er Peace Train, who is a downright cool guy. We'll have to hang out sometime again.
I got to play with others for the first time ever, which was fun/ a good experience/ a good feeling of togetherness.
I also got to briefly try out a Blackbird Clara and a Kamaka 6-string.
An all-around awesome night!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds great, Igor - sorry I got called away for work. Let's all get together sometime. You can try my Kinnard, which is a total winner too.

Amazing night on Saturday! I really enjoyed the group. Between Kimo's chord changes and Zanuck's blues improv's, they both made playing the uke a totally fun experience!
:music:

Arizona Aloha Festival 2016 0 Cary and Kimo.jpg

Surprised at how many people in town are not forum members, but we located a weekly group in Chandler with some cool people. Thanks for the compliment, Igor. And likewise on the cool factor, great to meet you!

Kimo Hussey.jpg

I went to the Aloha Festival today where I played for 2 1/2 hours with Kimo and Zanuck. Learned more chord changes and ways to do improv. We also practiced singing while playing--talk about rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time! I found out about other groups around the Valley, including one in Scottsdale. The group experience is definitely enriching and rewarding!

Let's all get together sometime. You can try my Kinnard, which is a total winner too.

Would be fun, Greenie, love the Kinnard sound!

Top Bottom