Asonu whale tail uke

derbyhat

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with these? I have always thought about getting one, and then never did because reasons. Am I missing anything fun and awesome?

I have one (actually the one in the link you posted :p). I have mine tuned Tahitian-style, and as a result I haven't played it much. It is super easy to play; the fishing line strings are super easy on the fingers and have a lot of "give" to them. I've considered restringing it with ukulele strings so I'll play it more, but I haven't yet gotten around to it.

The downsides to it are that it is a pain to tune. I'm not sure if it's because of the tuners or the strings, but it seems like you'll turn and turn and turn and nothing happens and then suddenly it'll "jump" up way too high or down way too low. It's very fiddly to get the tuning right.

If you're anywhere in/near the West Coast I'll offer to let you come play it if you want.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, but I’m on the other side of the country. Thanks for the info. It sounds like it’d be a fun play, and that I might want to replace the friction tuners with UPTs.

They are geared tuners, they're just fiddly. But yeah, might need to be swapped out.

I can see why the tuners could be an issue. They shouldn't be installed like that, and I don't mean for aesthetic reasons. Geared tuners are meant to be installed with the gears facing one specific way (The way you normally see it with the gear closest to the string nut side of things when looking at them from the back). If you have them like on that uke, or even worse flipped upside down from normal, the tuning post can lean (towards the nut) into the wood and not turn smoothly, among other things.
Also, there is a pretty extreme angle from where the string is on the posts to where they go through the nut. This is yet another thing that worsens tuning.
The instrument looks neat, but the design is poor as far as tuning function goes.
Maybe they should put the machines in more normal positions and just have the tail extend out past that.

Last edited:
Like a slotted headstock maybe?
Hm. Not sure. I was just thinking putting the machines down before you get to the end of the tail. Really though, if they got some sort of planetary geared tuners like banjo tuners or the Gotoh UPT they'd eliminate the problem of having the gear in the wrong place. You'd still have the big angle of the string from tuning post to nut though. Then again, you could move the tuner machine location down farther with those type tuners too since you don't have to compensate for anything sticking out the sides.

Hm. Not sure. I was just thinking putting the machines down before you get to the end of the tail. Really though, if they got some sort of planetary geared tuners like banjo tuners or the Gotoh UPT they'd eliminate the problem of having the gear in the wrong place. You'd still have the big angle of the string from tuning post to nut though. Then again, you could move the tuner machine location down farther with those type tuners too since you don't have to compensate for anything sticking out the sides.

Yeah, that all makes sense. Maybe someday I'll take it to a luthier and see if it's worth fiddling with. For now though, even if I'm not playing it, it looks great hanging on my wall. Like a piece of art, but a lot cheaper.

Yeah, that all makes sense. Maybe someday I'll take it to a luthier and see if it's worth fiddling with. For now though, even if I'm not playing it, it looks great hanging on my wall. Like a piece of art, but a lot cheaper.
Yeah, It is a really neat and unique looking instrument....or piece of art...both. I remember looking at the more standard version of these years ago and thinking about buying one but never did. They are really cool instruments though from what I've gathered through videos and such.
Also, I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone from buying one of these...just stating why I can see the tuning issues happen. Their other instruments are designed differently at the headstock.

Yeah, It is a really neat and unique looking instrument....or piece of art...both. I remember looking at the more standard version of these years ago and thinking about buying one but never did. They are really cool instruments though from what I've gathered through videos and such.
Also, I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone from buying one of these...just stating why I can see the tuning issues happen. Their other instruments are designed differently at the headstock.

Wonder if the type of strings make any kind of difference. I have the really thin fishing line on there for the Tahitian tuning.

Wonder if the type of strings make any kind of difference. I have the really thin fishing line on there for the Tahitian tuning.
I'm not sure. If it's already fluorocarbon fishing line then that stuff is more stable than any other strings I know of. You'd have to be careful not to go too big with string diameter unless you are okay with modifying the nut slot to fit. A string fitting too tightly into a nut slot is another tuning issue waiting to happen.

Top Bottom