Aspiring luthier. First time checking out this board.

BiosphereDecay

Island Punk Rock
UU VIP
Reaction score
So yeah, I've enjoyed working on my own ukuleles quite a bit. I kind of think I want to take that a step further and maybe learn to do more advanced luthier stuff. I'm disabled, so 98% of jobs are impossible for me, but I think instrument maintenance, modification, or repair would be something I could probably handle. Maybe I could get off of disabilities because of this. Lots of maybes though. I try not to get too excited for maybes.

So what advice or recommendations would you give someone who's just starting at this practice and has very few tools to work with, and even less money?

I'd be happy to do some Zoom workshops with you, and discuss whatever it is you are wanting to learn to get you started. Are you looking to learn more about building or the tech side of things?

I'd be happy to do some Zoom workshops with you, and discuss whatever it is you are wanting to learn to get you started. Are you looking to learn more about building or the tech side of things?
I'm not sure if I'm interested in building yet, maybe in the future. Honestly my primary motivation is that modifying my own instruments was fun, and even with my disabilities, I think this is a job that I could do, especially if I were allowed to specialize in ukuleles. Also I just need a hobby.

So there is one really big barrier though. I have no money, and I have only a single room that I rent, and there is basically no space for me to work. I've been thinking about getting a new desk so I can use it for both PC and luthier purposes.

I'm more or less finished with my first project and don't have anything in particular in mind currently. I'm on the lookout for inspiration though. I can tell you what instruments(including variants) I'm interested in owning though. I think that might help.

So yeah, I've enjoyed working on my own ukuleles quite a bit. I kind of think I want to take that a step further and maybe learn to do more advanced luthier stuff. I'm disabled, so 98% of jobs are impossible for me, but I think instrument maintenance, modification, or repair would be something I could probably handle. Maybe I could get off of disabilities because of this. Lots of maybes though. I try not to get too excited for maybes.

So what advice or recommendations would you give someone who's just starting at this practice and has very few tools to work with, and even less money?
If you are at some point going to make a living in repair work you will likely need to repair other stringed instruments, guitars, mandolins, etc.

Don’t pass up on this generous offer.
I probably should have been a little more explicit, but my previous post was me accepting the offer. I think right now might not be the best time to do it though, because I don't have any specific projects in mind currently. If I come across something I like that's not in the best shape, I might grab it just to get a project going.

Fair warning though. I have unbelievably intense anxiety. The thought of doing a zoom call in general scares me, as do most things in life, but I agree, this is a big opportunity that I shouldn't pass on.

The thought of doing a zoom call in general scares me, as do most things in life, but I agree, this is a big opportunity that I shouldn't pass on.
Maybe just a simple meet and greet with no expectations to start would be helpful? Small steps. Even if you aren't ready with a project, maybe an ideas "session zero" would still be good? Zoom is really meh, but it's a wonderful opportunity to work with people you wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity to do so. But I get it. Anxiety is a hurdle.

You are very thoughtful and generous.

Reactions: Kei
I'm not sure if I'm interested in building yet, maybe in the future. Honestly my primary motivation is that modifying my own instruments was fun, and even with my disabilities, I think this is a job that I could do, especially if I were allowed to specialize in ukuleles. Also I just need a hobby.

So there is one really big barrier though. I have no money, and I have only a single room that I rent, and there is basically no space for me to work. I've been thinking about getting a new desk so I can use it for both PC and luthier purposes.

I'm more or less finished with my first project and don't have anything in particular in mind currently. I'm on the lookout for inspiration though. I can tell you what instruments(including variants) I'm interested in owning though. I think that might help.
Hey you know we all start somewhere! Feel free to circle back around when you have the need or a question. I only suggest Zoom because it is really hard to convey something that is being worked by your hands through text. It's much easier to show it, and also describe it that way. Plus 99% of the people I teach how to build instruments watch me do it, and then can do it on their own. No rush! Keep reading and watching videos on Youtube about the process, it'll help in more ways than none.

Maybe just a simple meet and greet with no expectations to start would be helpful? Small steps. Even if you aren't ready with a project, maybe an ideas "session zero" would still be good? Zoom is really meh, but it's a wonderful opportunity to work with people you wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity to do so. But I get it. Anxiety is a hurdle.

You are very thoughtful and generous.
Yeah that's a good idea thank you. :)

Hey you know we all start somewhere! Feel free to circle back around when you have the need or a question. I only suggest Zoom because it is really hard to convey something that is being worked by your hands through text. It's much easier to show it, and also describe it that way. Plus 99% of the people I teach how to build instruments watch me do it, and then can do it on their own. No rush! Keep reading and watching videos on Youtube about the process, it'll help in more ways than none.
Perhaps a good starting point would just be for you to show me what sort of stuff you're working on currently? I can show off my first project in progress, but all I did was change strings and tuners. I am quite a bit more intimately familiar with geared tuners now though lol.

Zoom is fine. I have many phobias, and one of them is talking on the phone, which this is similar enough to be a little bit of a hurdle, but if we both have video, that makes it a lot easier. There's something weird about not being able to see the person or be seen by the person while talking that drives up my anxiety a lot.

I have very few time constraints, so we can work primarily around your schedule.

Top Bottom