Attaching the neck....

Lilo Ukulele

Reaction score
I'm using a dovetail joint and furniture screws to pull it tight. On a guitar I can get my hand into the sound hole to tighten the screws...but with the uke its just too small. What are other builders method of tighten the screws?

I'm using a dovetail joint and furniture screws to pull it tight. On a guitar I can get my hand into the sound hole to tighten the screws...but with the uke its just too small. What are other builders method of tighten the screws?
I use small socket head cap screws when I do bolt-on necks, and these are some of the tools I've used. The smaller drive bit is something I made using a short 1/4" drive extension with a piece of hex driver stock fastened in it. This was made to the exact length I needed for sopranos. I could have just have easily bought a longer bit like the other one shown and cut it down to length, but at the time I just used what I had on hand. The larger handle with the red crank at the handle end is something I found called a Sidewinder. Once you get your screw lined up with the threaded insert, you turn the crank and it runs the screw in. It saves a lot of small back-and-forth movement using the rachet, and therefore can reduce the risk of banging the edge of the soundhole. tools.jpg

Last edited:
If you are not using a pickup with an output jack then use an endpin - the hole will still be large enough (circa 7 mm) to insert one of those super-long screwdrivers or hex keys (eBay). If you can't find one long enough for the larger size ukes they are not that difficult to extend or fabricate. I made my own for baritones by cutting the L end off a standard hex key and silver soldering it into a length of 6mm steel rod.
I tried to upload a photo, but the file is apparently too large!

For a bolt on neck, I use a furniture bolt with matching threaded insert. A long T handled hex wrench does the job of tightening the bolt. Although there's a socket wrench shown in the photo, I don't recall ever using it.

Attachments

• attaching neck with bolt.JPG
    attaching neck with bolt.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 13
I use small socket head cap screws when I do bolt-on necks, and these are some of the tools I've used. The smaller drive bit is something I made using a short 1/4" drive extension with a piece of hex driver stock fastened in it. This was made to the exact length I needed for sopranos. I could have just have easily bought a longer bit like the other one shown and cut it down to length, but at the time I just used what I had on hand. The larger handle with the red crank at the handle end is something I found called a Sidewinder. Once you get your screw lined up with the threaded insert, you turn the crank and it runs the screw in. It saves a lot of small back-and-forth movement using the rachet, and therefore can reduce the risk of banging the edge of the soundhole. View attachment 138304
The last movie I watched showed a guy placing tools like that on a table before he questioned someone. 😆

Top Bottom