Back To My Flutes

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
I’ve returned to my flutes. I’ve been playin’ slow, easy scales to bring back my embouchure (I hope). I‘m remembering the fingering pretty well but not perfectly. It’s been a long time since I played my flutes and piccolos very much, so it may take me a while to pick it up again.

This month is a mandolin month too, so it should be a fun time with lots of learnin’.

🎶 Zippin' up my boots,
Goin' back to my flutes, yeah… 🎶

Yay! I have to get back to mine too. Usually winter is when I have more time. I have been spending my free time with guitars, ukes and dulcimers.

I had to take flute for my Music Ed degree. Although my main instrument was trumpet, I took to it pretty easily. I performed several times in public.
When I retired from teaching, I sold my flute, clarinet and alto sax. Lately I've been thinking about getting another flute. I still have 2 professional trumpets that rarely come out of the case. Thinking of selling one and getting another flute.
I was fortunate to once see the great flutist Jean Pierre Rampal in concert.

Yeah, peanuts, I’ve played lots of other instruments too. I’ve played all the brass ones, including the bugle, and I still have an old, beat up cornet that a friend gave me, two baritone horns and my beloved upright tuba. I don’t play them much any more because I live in a condo. I have lots of different kinds of flutes too though, which I do play sometimes. I’m self taught on all my instruments, but I can play well enough on ‘em to have a good time.

I like to play Celtic stuff and other folk music, and I also like to play classical. Right now I’m workin’ on world folk music. I like it because many of the pieces are in minor keys. I really enjoy playing and singin’ in minor keys. I even retuned some of my harmonicas to minor keys.

Way to go! I love the flute. 2 of my friends were floutists, and my late cousin taught flute.

Yeah, peanuts, I’ve played lots of other instruments too. I’ve played all the brass ones, including the bugle, and I still have an old, beat up cornet that a friend gave me, two baritone horns and my beloved upright tuba. I don’t play them much any more because I live in a condo. I have lots of different kinds of flutes too though, which I do play sometimes. I’m self taught on all my instruments, but I can play well enough on ‘em to have a good time.

I like to play Celtic stuff and other folk music, and I also like to play classical. Right now I’m workin’ on world folk music. I like it because many of the pieces are in minor keys. I really enjoy playing and singin’ in minor keys. I even retuned some of my harmonicas to minor keys.
Yamaha makes a device for brass instruments called Silent Brass. It's a mute with a microphone inside and a device that looks like an old Walkman. You use headphones from the device to hear yourself. I had one and it works pretty well. I gave it to a young trumpeter I know. I stopped playing years ago. Too lazy to practice and not much work in my area.

Way to go! I used to play flute but switched to Irish Whistle. Just played with a group over thanksgiving. Was pure fun. Whistle is so so much easier.

My husband and dogs didn't care for my tin whistle, so I chose to sell mine. I really appreciate a good tin whistle in a Celtic band, though.

After playing flute and alto saxophone in school bands, I've moved on to Native American Flute. The household inhabitants can tolerate those (except for the high G pocket flute).

Yeah, I have some Indian flutes too, but I don’t play them. I just use them for decorations. I do play wooden flutes and piccolos though.

Still workin’ on the flutes. My lip is gettin’ stronger and I can play longer. I now consider the flute (s) my main instrument, and the string instruments my “extra” instruments. I just enjoy wind instruments more.

Lately, I’ve been playin’ my fifes. They’re more difficult to play cleanly, but I’m enjoying them. Anyone else ever play a fife?

I have a plastic Yamaha fife. I sometimes play it to develop my embouchure. The instrument doesn't need a lot of special care. I'm not very keen on the sound though, and the fingerholes feel rather sharp. I much prefer the sound and feel of my Yamaha piccolo.

Keep us updated, Down Up Dick! You sometimes send me off to play my flutes as well.

I never tried a fife, despite playing flute in band in grade school and junior high, before switching to alto saxophone. I have messed around with various recorders and the tin whistle. Since my dogs and husband don't care for the shrillness of the whistle, I don't think fife would set well with them either. So, to make them happy (I don't disagree with them), I've settled into the beautiful, woody, mellow tones of the Native American Flute.

Last edited:
I never tried a fife, despite playing flute in band in grade school and junior high, before switching to alto saxophone. I have messed around with various recorders and the tin whistle. Since my dogs and husband don't care for the shrillness of the whistle, I don't think fife would set well with them either. So, to make them happy (I don't disagree with them), I've settled into the beautiful, woody, mellow tones of the Native American Flute.
Maybe try an Alto Flute. I have one, and it has a nice, mellow, romantic tone. Mine seems easier to play too. I like it a lot.
I have a plastic Yamaha fife. I sometimes play it to develop my embouchure. The instrument doesn't need a lot of special care. I'm not very keen on the sound though, and the fingerholes feel rather sharp. I much prefer the sound and feel of my Yamaha piccolo.

Keep us updated, Down Up Dick! You sometimes send me off to play my flutes as well.

Glad to help out. I’m gonna keep it up as long as I can. My tone’s a bit wheezy still, but good enough for an old guy.

Maybe try an Alto Flute. I have one, and it has a nice, mellow, romantic tone. Mine seems easier to play too. I like it a lot.

Glad to help out. I’m gonna keep it up as long as I can. My tone’s a bit wheezy still, but good enough for an old guy.
Nice to see that you're really enjoying your wind instruments. A variety of instruments in my life (since 1973) has always been a joy.
Play on! 🎶 😎

Top Bottom