Backpack?

Kekio

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time choosing a bag for my soprano Uke. The cheap bags don't really protect the headstock and body from bumps, and the hardshell cases are too bulky to carry alongside bags and backpacks.

I'm considering a nice, padded backpack and a large handerchief to wrap the Uke while inside it. This way I can protect it and use the extra space to carry soft items. Thoughts?

I'm having a hard time choosing a bag for my soprano Uke. The cheap bags don't really protect the headstock and body from bumps, and the hardshell cases are too bulky to carry alongside bags and backpacks.

I'm considering a nice, padded backpack and a large handerchief to wrap the Uke while inside it. This way I can protect it and use the extra space to carry soft items. Thoughts?
I carry my soprano ukulele (and other gear) in a backpack. I put the ukulele in a thinly padded gig bag that fits in the backpack to give the ukulele a little protection.

Make a bag with bubblewrap and tape and stick it in a concert gigbag

My thoughts:
Where would you get a padded bagpack?
Lots of backpacks have padded compartments for laptops, but a big enough bagpack completely padded?
And perhaps a towel or something would provide a bit more protection than a handkerchief? Every time you wrap and unwrap the ukulele, you would need to be careful it doesnt roll off and land somewhere hard. Well, it can probably be handled. One of the cool things about the Enya Nova ukes is their thin protective shells that doesnt take up space and lets them fit in a bag. I guess it is possible to craft something similar for a wooden ukulele, if you are not afraid it is not enough protection.

Anyway, you mention problems with cheap thin gigbags and hard cases. Why not simply get a high quality gigbag? If you want to carry the gigbag and a bagpack at the same time, I suggest a gigbag with just one strap.
Perhaps something like this?:
I have never tried them, but they look nice.

Edit:
There are probably similar gigbags from other brands. This one boasts of 19 mm (3/4 ") padding, and a plastic frame to make it keep its shape. The linen/cotton blend outside with the single strap also look classier than your average gigbag to me. Again, I havent tried it, but it sounds kind of like the one I have for my acoustic bass guitar and for my aNueNue - and these are nice.

Last edited:
I think I would look for a high quality gig bag with more/larger pockets than average. I have a Headway ukulele with a great backpack case, seriously the best I’ve seen, but I’ve been unable to find the gig bag available for sale anywhere. It has a pocket on the front that goes about 2/3 of the way up the case, much larger than other gig bags I’ve had, and I love it. The straps are also well constructed, with padding and a comfortable contour.

Last edited:
A gig back and other bags take up about the same room as a hard case, but tend to be lighter and much easier to carry. It is also protective to give peace of mind. When I flew recently (to the LA Ukulele Festival), my concert gig bag fit inside my day pack to drop my carryon bag count to two.

The one I recommend for price and value and overall great quality is:

I received one when I purchased an ukulele from them. I bought a second one when another member pointed out that they were on sale for under ($20). Currently $10 off and may go on sale for the end of year, but worth it for $29. Good to have even if it is used for a local trip.

The Gator 4G gig bags have 20 mm padding, which is quite a bit thicker than the 10 mm that’s seems to be common on lower end cases. I have one, and it offers a lot of protection, for a gig bag. The Gator Transit bags look really nice too, with more pockets, but I don’t know how thick the padding is and I’ve not seen one in person.

TUS/HMS has pretty nice gig bag backpacks:

Top Bottom