Band Saw

I've looked at the Craftsman 10", but was somewhat put off by the spotty reviews - some like it and others hate it. I went back for one more look, though, and saw the 12' - it's in my price range, gets pretty good reviews and looks like it might be a good compromise. It isn't a 14" (or a 16" or larger, all of which would be nice) and I don't expect that it would resaw too well, but it would fit in my space and do - I think - most of what I need to have done. It also got a Best uy from Consumer Reports

Anyone have any experience with this saw?

You have to work out what you want it to do. A 10" is too small power wise for most things, so scratch that off the list.

If you are only going to make ukes then there are 12" bandsaws out there that are more than adequate. I have a 12" Jet made of cast iron that is plenty powerful enough for resawing for ukes. It is my only bandsaw. I also make guitars and it frustrates me I can't resaw for guitars unless making 3 or 4 piece backs, but I don't have room for the 14" and as an amateur I am happy enough buying guitar back and sides from suppliers.

But if I was only making ukes the 12" would be just fine. That isn't to say all 12" bandsaws would be fine, but some are like the Jet model.

A smaller saw as you describe will cut plywood and MDF in 3/4" if it has a decent sized motor but. I suggest you set up a Craigslist search that sends you a text every time a bandsaw is listed for sale in your area. Buying new bandsaws is not necessary unless you need one right away. I have bought several 14" bandsaws for less than $100. I buy them when I find them cheap at a garage sale or on Craigslist. It's a luxury to have several each with a different blade for a different task.

It's a luxury to have several each with a different blade for a different task.
I would totally agree with this statement if I had the room. But I don't. Bandsaws can take up a lot of space.

I also agree that you can pick up bandsaws on the cheap if you keep your eyes out looking. People buy them and end up never using them and need the room so the wife says get rid of that thing in the garage right now so they sell them cheap. Just haul it away. Please. It is typical of a guy to think he is going to finally get into woodworking when he retires so he buys a bunch of expensive power tools and then... realizes he has no aptitude or desire to be in woodworking and dumps what are basically new tools on the market.

I picked up mine on the cheap for $100 bucks. Hardly used. It an okay bandsaw. Nothing fancy or powerful but it will resaw. Back when Craftsman made decent tools. I rarely use the tilt feature because it always has to be realigned to perfect plumb. Also came with a sanding belt I never used. 12 inches is adequate but 14 would be better.

bandsaw.jpg

Well, I would love a 14" saw, but I have had great luck with my 10" Rikon. Very compact and fits in my little shop. I do lots of resawing, up to 4 5/8" wide, enough to make up to a 9" wide uke. 1/2 Woodslicer blade is the key. I can easily get 3/32 slices of walnut, maple, etc. So, just saying, it's possible.

When I built the new extension on my workshop I had plenty of room in it ..since then I have purchased several power tool items . eg: Spindle sander, Jointer, bench drill. 14" bandsaw, 8" bandsaw, disc/belt sander, tool and cutter grinder. to name a few...and now I hardly have any working bench space left, and I'm constantly lifting equipment from off the bench top to store under the bench and vice-versa just to make space to work.
On the good side i recon it's keeping me fit...Its my birthday tomorrow 82 and still up and at it.

When I built the new extension on my workshop I had plenty of room in it ..since then I have purchased several power tool items . eg: Spindle sander, Jointer, bench drill. 14" bandsaw, 8" bandsaw, disc/belt sander, tool and cutter grinder. to name a few...and now I hardly have any working bench space left, and I'm constantly lifting equipment from off the bench top to store under the bench and vice-versa just to make space to work.
On the good side i recon it's keeping me fit...Its my birthday tomorrow 82 and still up and at it.
I beat you by a couple of years, Ken, I'll be 85 next month, but not quite as fit as you seem to be! I'd be ready to hang it up, but I have a garage full of tools that need to be used! So as not to hijack the thread, I bought a used 12" Craftsman years ago on Craig's List and it has served me well. Like others have said, if you're not in a hurry, do a Google search for a 14" bandsaw for sale and I'm sure one will turn up, or try Craig's List.

A smaller saw as you describe will cut plywood and MDF in 3/4" if it has a decent sized motor but. I suggest you set up a Craigslist search that sends you a text every time a bandsaw is listed for sale in your area. Buying new bandsaws is not necessary unless you need one right away. I have bought several 14" bandsaws for less than $100. I buy them when I find them cheap at a garage sale or on Craigslist. It's a luxury to have several each with a different blade for a different task.

I've found that there used to be good deals on band saws on Craigslist where I live, but those deals seem to have gone away. I ended up buying a brand new one about this time last year after watching Craigslist for months and not seeing what I really wanted period (I really wanted a 14" Delta, 1960s or earlier), and what was in the ballpark of what I wanted was going for not much below the price of a new saw anyway. Maybe it was just a weird time in the market with covid going on, but it didn't seem like spending time waiting for the right tool was likely to pay off.

The other thing about buying old woodworking tools is that sometimes you're buying a hobby you didn't necessarily want to pursue. Which is cleaning out decades of crud, replacing bearings, sourcing out-of-production parts and accessories, etc. I know this because I've owned several power tools made in the 1960s or earlier. If one doesn't mind doing those things, and the price is right, then go for it.

Top Bottom