Banjolele under 300€ in Europe?

ppalma00

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have reviewed the previous threads on this topic but many are too old so I decided to ask again.
When looking for a banjolele to buy in European Union, I cannot see too many options:
  • Deering, too big for what I want and expensive,
  • Firefly Magic Fluke, maybe too expensive (400€ concert size),
  • APC (from Portugal), not sure about the quality and also heavy
  • Gold Tone, expensive and not many good reviews.
  • Kala, not available at Europe as far as I can see
  • Luna, not very good opinions on finish of the product

I know there are options with vintage ones but too risky for one starting in the banjolele world. I bought an Aklot and returned it because the sound was too toy I think..

Any suggestion?
thanks for your help

why is an old one risky? Mine was 15 quid - a Windsor mandolin banjo and I turned it to 4 strings, removing the metal ones, and its now my go to instrument for playing with people. Largely as it can compete with ukulele players with little speakers...
It will quickly teach you to fettle, and its is the most reponsive of "soundboards". Just buy one where the top doesnt need replacing - lots around for 40-50 quid.

why is an old one risky? Mine was 15 quid - a Windsor mandolin banjo and I turned it to 4 strings, removing the metal ones, and its now my go to instrument for playing with people. Largely as it can compete with ukulele players with little speakers...
It will quickly teach you to fettle, and its is the most reponsive of "soundboards". Just buy one where the top doesnt need replacing - lots around for 40-50 quid.
thanks for your reply. I meant risky because it can bring many issues due to the pass of time unless one is expert enough to distinguish the good from the bad ones, but this is not my case, fully newbie here :)

Where do you say I can find old ones in good condition to not needing repairing at all?

thanks again for your help.

What about this one?

I don’t know brands from those old years…

put an advert on your local network and see what comes out of peoples' attics? Getting a BU working is quite fun. And its practically impossible NOT to be able to get sound of one however bad...

I own a Gold Tone BU-1 and I like it a lot:

really think about what you want it for. Anything with a proper big resonator is going to be obnoxious unless you are with BU people - or alone doing BU things. The ones in a simple wooden case back that are only 7-8" across (vellum perhaps 5-6") are loud enough in company when you need, but you can get one out in a group with out looking odd.
I've got a 4 string converted one of these... slightly shorter scale length than soprano and feels great. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304909396409?

Last edited:
Top Bottom