Baritone GCEA

Why is the tension lower on a concert than a tenor? I've read that in several threads and just been too afraid to show my ignorance and ask....seems contradictory in my simple mind?
The larger—and, generally, more sturdily-braced—soundboard of a tenor needs heavier strings to drive it effectively. The late Dirk Wormhoudt of @southcoastukes has much more info here (scroll down to the tenor section) if you want to do a deep dive!

The larger—and, generally, more sturdily-braced—soundboard of a tenor needs heavier strings to drive it effectively. The late Dirk Wormhoudt of @southcoastukes has much more info here (scroll down to the tenor section) if you want to do a deep dive!
Wherahiko...that was great! Talk about going down a rabbit hole! I'm a little surprised I was even able to follow it lol. That's a really good link.

Sounds like a ton of fun! Which one do you find yourself playing the most?
about2, I always seem to start and end with the same one, the Pono tuned with regular DGBE strings it came with. I have no idea what they are, but the G and C strings are wound and E and A are plain flurocarbon. My least favorite, as I noted with Kei, was the low octave GCEA. And I think that has more to do with my playing ability and style of play. I personally think you just gotta have 2-3 bari's to keep one tuned low octave. But to be fair, I have yet to receive the "normal" GCEA strings I ordered that will fit the baritone, but I've got 4 different sets of those coming with different variations of low g, high g, and both smooth and unwound strings.

about2, I always seem to start and end with the same one, the Pono tuned with regular DGBE strings it came with. I have no idea what they are, but the G and C strings are wound and E and A are plain flurocarbon. My least favorite, as I noted with Kei, was the low octave GCEA. And I think that has more to do with my playing ability and style of play. I personally think you just gotta have 2-3 bari's to keep one tuned low octave. But to be fair, I have yet to receive the "normal" GCEA strings I ordered that will fit the baritone, but I've got 4 different sets of those coming with different variations of low g, high g, and both smooth and unwound strings.
I like your thoughts. I have two baris. One turned low gcea and the other dgbe. If I need a normal gcea I just capo it at the 5th fret.

I really like the sound of a re-entrant ukulele. I play guitar and I have a baritone ukulele that I seldom ever play. I'm thinking about putting on a set of Aquila 23U baritone ukulele strings, high G. Has anybody done that?

I have plans to put on a set tomorrow. The same Aquila’s. I also got a set of low g PHD’s in the same package, a set of wound and fluorocarbon coming from Aaron Kiem and a set of Living Waters coming from Ken Middleton later in the week. All recommendations from this one thread, I think lol. I need some more baritone ukes without a doubt….

Reading and rereading this thread convinced me to change the Pono from the Classical Guitar strings to the Worth Browns like the Kala. I tried to leave the wound A string on but it was too much for the others and also tried the wound D which just doesnt blend with the three Worths. Putting the Worth D on between work emails and looking forward to sound once it settles as the other three are very nice after a week. (just too many turns from stretching so I have to unwind, take up extra and rewind them on the posts)

Looking forward to hearing your test results Keith.

I have been playing my Beansprout baritone (GCEA) daily for almost a month now. I have trouble putting it down! The sound is just so full compared to any of my low G tenors including my KoAloha's. I can't speak for other brands but Aaron's string set really works on this instrument. :cool: (y)

Hello Baritone players. I've never had a Baritone and I'm thinking of getting one but I'd like to tune it GCEA. Any advice on doing that? I see that Aquila 117U Lava is designed for just that. I was under the assumption that I could use any tenor strings, but I guess I was wrong. I'm fine buying the Lavas, but if I want to put a Low G on what would you suggest? Thanks
DGBE. Bonus: it helps with guitar playing also. If you are committed to playing a baritone uke GCEA I'd suggest getting strings manufactured for that and not do any funky stretching with other options. I did GCEA for a good while on my baritone and found I wanted more depth to the sound. I found it with the Martin 630 DGBE tuning and strings.

This is sorta of an old thread, so I'm hoping some of you are still following it. This regarding putting regular GCEA strings on a baritone.
I have on hand, a tenor set of Aquila reds and a concert set of Aquila reds. Would either of these work GCEA on a baritone with 20" scale? Or maybe a low gCEA using a Freemont Blackline low g I also have in the string drawer.

I have another baritone tuned DGBE, and one that I've just put a set of Perry's low octave gcea strings on. So if I put a regular set of Aquila reds tuned GCEA, if it will work, I'll have a really unique trio of baritones. And have a heckuva time getting my head to correspond to my fingers holding the same sized body and playing different chords. A completely different type of insanity lol.
Down a rabbit hole I go. I dislike changing strings but love all the possible variations on ukulele.

Well I think I stated results in another thread, but will post here as well. I only have inexpensive baritones, and I love the look and sound of the Pono Kalele Bari Acacia so much I didn’t want to chance it with Perry’s strings. So I put them on a Ohana BK-35 that needed some love. The Ohana was a 19.5” scale vs 20” on the Pono so I knew I was taking somewhat of a chance. They’re just ok to me. I like them, but the lack of tension on the 19.5” scale just muddies the sound(my first time hearing muddy when taking about strings). I’ve got another DGBE set to replace them with, but every time I take it down to re-string it, I screw up and strum it first…then I can’t change it. @Kei pointed out in the other thread I referred to earlier, that he thought they’d sound great as a compliment to other ukuleles in a group(I’m paraphrasing here not quoting) and that’s how they hit me. Low volume, really neat sound though.

Top Bottom