Baritone GCEA

Why is the tension lower on a concert than a tenor? I've read that in several threads and just been too afraid to show my ignorance and ask....seems contradictory in my simple mind?
The larger—and, generally, more sturdily-braced—soundboard of a tenor needs heavier strings to drive it effectively. The late Dirk Wormhoudt of @southcoastukes has much more info here (scroll down to the tenor section) if you want to do a deep dive!

The larger—and, generally, more sturdily-braced—soundboard of a tenor needs heavier strings to drive it effectively. The late Dirk Wormhoudt of @southcoastukes has much more info here (scroll down to the tenor section) if you want to do a deep dive!
Wherahiko...that was great! Talk about going down a rabbit hole! I'm a little surprised I was even able to follow it lol. That's a really good link.

Sounds like a ton of fun! Which one do you find yourself playing the most?
about2, I always seem to start and end with the same one, the Pono tuned with regular DGBE strings it came with. I have no idea what they are, but the G and C strings are wound and E and A are plain flurocarbon. My least favorite, as I noted with Kei, was the low octave GCEA. And I think that has more to do with my playing ability and style of play. I personally think you just gotta have 2-3 bari's to keep one tuned low octave. But to be fair, I have yet to receive the "normal" GCEA strings I ordered that will fit the baritone, but I've got 4 different sets of those coming with different variations of low g, high g, and both smooth and unwound strings.

about2, I always seem to start and end with the same one, the Pono tuned with regular DGBE strings it came with. I have no idea what they are, but the G and C strings are wound and E and A are plain flurocarbon. My least favorite, as I noted with Kei, was the low octave GCEA. And I think that has more to do with my playing ability and style of play. I personally think you just gotta have 2-3 bari's to keep one tuned low octave. But to be fair, I have yet to receive the "normal" GCEA strings I ordered that will fit the baritone, but I've got 4 different sets of those coming with different variations of low g, high g, and both smooth and unwound strings.
I like your thoughts. I have two baris. One turned low gcea and the other dgbe. If I need a normal gcea I just capo it at the 5th fret.

I really like the sound of a re-entrant ukulele. I play guitar and I have a baritone ukulele that I seldom ever play. I'm thinking about putting on a set of Aquila 23U baritone ukulele strings, high G. Has anybody done that?

I have plans to put on a set tomorrow. The same Aquila’s. I also got a set of low g PHD’s in the same package, a set of wound and fluorocarbon coming from Aaron Kiem and a set of Living Waters coming from Ken Middleton later in the week. All recommendations from this one thread, I think lol. I need some more baritone ukes without a doubt….

Reading and rereading this thread convinced me to change the Pono from the Classical Guitar strings to the Worth Browns like the Kala. I tried to leave the wound A string on but it was too much for the others and also tried the wound D which just doesnt blend with the three Worths. Putting the Worth D on between work emails and looking forward to sound once it settles as the other three are very nice after a week. (just too many turns from stretching so I have to unwind, take up extra and rewind them on the posts)

Looking forward to hearing your test results Keith.

Top Bottom