Baritone Help - Pono Nui or ULN4

DonRikkles

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a Baritone. I love my tenor but am looking for something with a deeper sound to mix in some more versatile playing and to more closely match my vocal range. I'm really taken by Pono's big baritones but am having trouble deciding between the Nui and the ULN4. I love the warmth and resonance of the cedar topped Nui, but the ULN4 seems to be a bit more articulate. For those that have played either or both, which would you recommend?

I'm in the market for a Baritone. I love my tenor but am looking for something with a deeper sound to mix in some more versatile playing and to more closely match my vocal range. I'm really taken by Pono's big baritones but am having trouble deciding between the Nui and the ULN4. I love the warmth and resonance of the cedar topped Nui, but the ULN4 seems to be a bit more articulate. For those that have played either or both, which would you recommend?
You can call the folks at Theukulelesite and talk with them about it… or email. They are super helpful in guiding choices in the right direction.

You can call the folks at Theukulelesite and talk with them about it… or email. They are super helpful in guiding choices in the right direction.

I did, and they were wonderful. I was hoping to get some insight from folks who have owned or played for another perspective.

Personally, I prefer the shorter scale and smaller body size of the ULN. But in terms of full sound, I'd opt for the Nui. As for wood options, nothing beats the warm sound of Pono's Cedar and Rosewood instruments.

I've had both. I really wish I hadn't moved the ULN along but I don't miss the Nui. ULN sounded like a perfect baritone to me but the Nui sounded like a guitar that was missing some strings. Don't get me wrong, it sounded great, but it made me want to play my guitars whereas the ULN made me want to play the ULN.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don’t think Pono makes a spruce/rosewood combo in these models anymore. I’m tending toward cedar/mahogany in both models.

Interesting thread. I've not played the Nui, but I do own a steel string version of the ULN. I like the size of it a lot. My hands are not huge, so I was somewhat concerned about the 21.5 scale length. I've actually grown to prefer it over a tenor or normal bari scale. I'm still not able to stretch from say 2nd fret to the 7th very well, but I love having room for my fingers to easily be side by side on a fret. BTW, the ULN steel string is really nice. Mine is solid mango.....very sweet sounding. It the type of instrument that makes you want to play all day long. Easy to play, resonant with huge sustain, pure joy. If I were doing it again, I'd opt for the cedar/rosewood steel string combo they have only because It sounds incredible on the videos. Good luck making your decision.

I have a ULN4 cedar and mahogany. I will keep it! It is the baritone sound I looked for and couldn’t find. Ended UAS. I might like a spruce too version too.

I have a ULN4 cedar and mahogany. I will keep it! It is the baritone sound I looked for and couldn’t find. Ended UAS. I might like a spruce too version too.
🤣
Sentence 1: Ended UAS.
Sentence 2: Might like spruce top too.
😂

Reactions: TCK
Here is something to try: Put a set of Pepe Romero baby baritone strings onto your tenor (Set UBB, by La Bella, from Strings by Mail) and you instantly have a baritone.

I just put a set on my Pono AT-CR and I can even believe what it sounds like now. Unbelievable! This is the set of strings my Pono has been waiting for...

I have a Pono PB- (mahog) baritone as well with Worth browns that I absolutely love.

But this new set up is absolutely amazing... and so much easier to play for someone like me with smaller hands.

In fact, I'm going to go and start a thread on these "Baby Baritone" strings and see if anyone else is trying this.

Congratulations, enjoy and let us know how you like it when you get your hands on it!

Last edited:
Here is something to try: Put a set of Pepe Romero baby baritone strings onto your tenor (Set UBB, by La Bella, from Strings by Mail) and you instantly have a baritone.

I just put a set on my Pono AT-CR and I can even believe what it sounds like now. Unbelievable! This is the set of strings my Pono has been waiting for...

I have a Pono PB- (mahog) baritone as well with Worth browns that I absolutely love.

But this new set up is absolutely amazing... and so much easier to play for someone like me with smaller hands.

In fact, I'm going to go and start a thread on these "Baby Baritone" strings and see if anyone else is trying this.

What's the tension like on the baritone strings on the tenor, tuned to DGBE (Iassume)? I'd think they'd be loose.

Top Bottom