baritone truss rod wrench

soxparkuke

Reaction score
Can somebody tell me what truss rod I should buy to use on a Kala baritone? (I tried Kala, they wouldn't answer.)

Ummmm... I'm not so sure you can add one. Are you trying to replace one? They tend to be built in.

Here might be a shortcut? Get a Pono baritone that already has one... that's what I did! It sounds awesome!

Try emailing Kala... they always get back to me pretty quickly... Easier than phoning.

If you're talking about the tool to adjust the truss rod, check this old thread > Kala truss rod tool. Per that post, it is likely a 4mm Allen key.

Yes, sorry, I'm an idiot, a truss rod WRENCH is what I'm talking about.

If a moderator is reading this: any chance you could edit the thread title to clarify it's the wrench? I don't seem to be able to edit it myself.

Typically an Allen wrench. If it's made overseas it'll almost certainly be a metric size. Buy a good set of Allens (you'll be glad you did) and use the appropriate sized one. Personally I like Bondhus ball-end allens in the plastic carrier over all others.

A number of years ago, I changed the way I adjusted a truss rod on a guitar or bass. It may not apply to your Kala, but with older guitars it was recommended and I do it for all of my guitars, although it has been a very long time since I started playing a ukulele.

It is the process of pre-setting/pre-adjusting the neck before turning the truss rod nut/screw. When you just use the nut/screw all of the pressure to straighten the neck is placed on that tiny truss rod. You want to slightly back bow the neck by hand first, and then tightening the truss rod nut/screw.

There are a couple ways to do this. The best way is to use blocks on the fretboard and protecting the back of the neck, straddle the blocks with a rigid bar and use a clamp to pre-set the neck. I have found, at least on guitars, that I can get a slight bow to the neck by supporting the body and flexing the neck by hand. The truss rod is just keeping the neck set in place and not trying to get it straight. It is better to slightly over-bow the pre-set and then back off the nut/screw to the proper adjustment.

This may not apply to your baritone, but it is a good truss rod saver approach.

John

Top Bottom