Song Help Request Best Beginner Songs?

Reaction score
Hi! I'm just about to embark upon the playing of the uke (picking up my uke next week) and am going to need some good beginner material to teach me all the basics, and was wondering what songs are good starting points for teaching me the technical basics. The Uke I am currently looking at comes with an Absolute Beginners booklet, but alledgedly the jingles it teaches are dull as dishwater! Any recommendations?
Cheers
Jack

first question: Approximately how old are you? That will help us determine what time frame to pick songs from.
second: what kind of music do you like?

first question: Approximately how old are you? That will help us determine what time frame to pick songs from.
second: what kind of music do you like?
I'm 16, but in terms music I like some 60's and 80's stuff as well as more modern stuff, and I really like a bit of everything, so I'm rather impartial as to what you recommend, as long as it teaches me a variety of skills!
Jack

Pick songs with just a few easy chords, like C, G, F, Am. You'll find tons of songs that all use the same simple chords.

Something like Uncle Rod's Boot Camp will give you some basics to go on.

http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com/

What you will need to work on first is being able to accurately form and transition from one chord to another in tempo with the music. Don't worry about fancy strumming yet, just a simple up/down will do until you can at least get some chord changes down.

start with "stand by me" C, Am, F, G7. speed it up and you got the everly brother's "Dream" (plus a couple more chords :) )

Jack, google uke tabs for My Sweet Lord by a fellow named George Harrison. You might know the song if you hear it. It sounds fantastic and authentic on the ukulele. You'll learn it and play it for years and years. Even if you aren't particularly religious. It's more about Zen and a state of mind than God, so that's good.

Top Bottom