Best single source of uke books?

oldjazznut

Reaction score
Now that cold weather is starting, I'm thinking maybe a few new books might motivate me to actually learn something. Elderly used to have a big selection, but now there are either fewer books, or Elderly just doesn't want as many. I want to get books from one place, one package, one shipping cost. I'm leaning more toward knowledge than songs. Please no "30 Disney Favorites in 30 Days" crap. .. 🤪 ... Chord structure, progressions, scales, etc.. I want more improvise, not copy. Remember I'm an old jazz nut. Those guys had the basic structure on their music stands, but half of what they played wasn't on the paper.

My main resources now are a half dozen antique methods, several chord books, "Fretboard Roadmaps', "Ukulele for Dummies" and "Jazz For Dummies". My favorite is a small "Learn To Play Ukulele" book by Phil Capone. Uses photos and diagrams for everything. It has a lay-flat binding, 6 X 8, 190 pages, with a CD, but it's well organized.

I am 98% ignorant of reading music. I have three books on it that just don't grab my brain. Maybe a fresh one would ring a bell.

Who has the largest number of books for me to peruse?

1701414763303.png

Last edited:
I gave up and went to Elderly. Found four books that looked useful. Two blues, Kev and Bruce Emery. One chord inversions, Mark Kailana Nelson. One chord melody, Bruce Emery again. They came up dry on reading music, I'll give what I have a better look.

U.S. eBay has a lot listed as well, I searched "Ukulele Book" and got 5400. I think what I ordered from Elderly Instruments will do well. Four books, one transaction, two day shipping 14 dollars. If I was looking for one specific book, eBay would be fine.

I'm in the USA. When I search EBay for "ukulele book", I get "5,900+ results for ukulele book", but I don't see how to limit the search to only books of tablature. I do see some categories along the left side of the page, but none are "tablature". Any suggestions?

Thats great.

Other members may not think to try eBay when they are looking for hard copy music material. Sorting through 5400 items may be a chore, so a more focussed search would probably be a useful strategy. The list I looked at included all sorts of books including detective novels with a ukulele theme and other novels, so its not just sheet music and TAB, its all sorts of material related to the world of ukulele.
eBay has everything.

Thanks. I hadn't really thought to check Ebay for books, but they've got some really great deals.
One thing to be wary of: if you're buying a book that has a download code for music examples, then the codes may have already been used if you're getting a secondhand copy.

I'm in the USA. When I search EBay for "ukulele book", I get "5,900+ results for ukulele book", but I don't see how to limit the search to only books of tablature. I do see some categories along the left side of the page, but none are "tablature". Any suggestions?
Just include Tab or Tablature in what you put in the eBay search window. like "Ukulele tab books". Sometimes it takes several tries to hit the magic words that bring up what you want.

One thing to be wary of: if you're buying a book that has a download code for music examples, then the codes may have already been used if you're getting a secondhand copy.
I stay away from any books requiring a computer to be useful. Some of the books I got years ago have CDs or DVDs. The latest editions are online, so I'm glad mine are old versions! A website may disappear anytime, discs don't. Two of the books I bought have online songs, only to hear them, no instruction. One book has a CD with examples of each action, but not essential using the book.

I got my four books today. Three of them have online feature access. I hate that. Music books used to come with CDs, a lot of my older books did, but newer editions are online. At least in the case of these books, you can download everything and burn it to a disc. Some books don't do that.

So I dug out my blank CDs, extra jewel boxes, and ultra fine tip Sharpies. I'm glad I already had all of that. Spent well over an hour downloading, burning and marking the discs.

I feel for people that aren't set up for that, chained to the online. I have CD players in three rooms.

I have no idea how deep you are into "jazz" chords or which era, but if you are interested in playing with others:

The Daily Ukulele: full-sized spiral
The Daily Ukulele Leap Year Edition: (only available) full-sized spiral

...will show how "jazzy" chords were used in popular music. Low entry price for playable arrangements (and their appropriate progressions) that can be transcribed if necessary. They are just plain fun to play with others of that ilk. You will learn recognize how fragments of progressions show up in other progressions.

The books cover quite-easy to spaghetti-noodled chords. You learn at your own speed. I'm about 3 years into them and still learning.

To work out voicings, I heavily lean on:

<edit> Now if you are wanting to play real jazz with just few "up-the-neck" shapes and inversions, I can't offer any help.

Last edited:
Your initial post led me to find hardcopies of O'Neills Music of Ireland. It was compiled before CDs. I do have a PDF version, but its 300 pages and costs not much less than the collectible 1996 Hardcopy version to print. And the hardcopy is set up to be easy to read already.

Burning CDs is a lot of fun. Once you have them, there is no need to buy data or bandwidth to play the CD. I believe that On-Line streaming and most Apps should have similar labelling to cigarettes indicating that the listener is paying for the data and if you listen all day for several years you are costing yourself a lot of disposable income.
Are you on a phone? My standard Internet is high speed cable, $90 a month, no limits on anything. Also sounds like an inkjet printer being so costly. My laser jet is only black and white, but I get about 2000 pages out of a $40 toner cartridge. My paper is about $10 per ream getting cases of 10, 5000 sheets. So all total, it costs me about $80 to print those 2000 pages.

My old flip phone is just a phone, with one camera, no limits, $5 a month. Now that's a "smart" phone !

Top Bottom