Best sounding cedar tenor uke?

I have a few cedar top ukuleles and one tenor, but it is a one off.

However I have a couple of 18” scale tenors, one I have played extensively. They are koa.

An 18” scale gives more room for fingering up the neck. It may make some stretches a bit tougher, but if your hands can handle it that is a non-issue.

The extra string tension is interesting. I find it to be more focused tone and at one time I ran strings at a 1.75mm.

A correctly built ukulele will handle the tension without resorting to lighter (brighter) strings.

John

As a collector of trivia, I have learned that Port Orford Cedar is actually a member of the sycamore family not cedar. Thought I would share.
Port Orford cedar and Alaska yellow cedar are members of cypress family and are not hardwoods like sycamores.

I got the Kala KAATP-CTG-CE in late 2013 for $379 at McCabe's after I compared it side by side to a Kamaka and KoAloha, which were around $1200 each. The Kala was so very close to the sound of the others, I picked it. It was my go-to uke for years, until I found I couldn't play deep ukes anymore, now only thinline. I raffled it to my uke group, with the proceeds going to The Ukulele Kids Club.

View attachment 156417
Hallelujah! I agree a thousand and one percent.

I just love cedar top ukes. Love the projection and warmth from them. I currently have the Anuenue Cedar Bird and the Lion, both strung with high-tension Uke Logic low g. Both are great but I give the nod to the cedar bird (UT214) if I had to choose one. But I like the cedar bird more because it is warmer in sound. I think my Lion has a more balance sound.

Edit: @Leongdad. Sorry just saw that you played a cedar bird already. Did you not like the cedar bird because of its warmth with Low G? I think for some it could be a little muddy if folks like some nice highs. That Red Label on TUS looks awesome! Do it!! lol

IMG_0335 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I’m looking to get a cedar uke. Anyone one have an opinion on their favorite? The ukulele site just posted a koaloha red label tenor that looks great, but I like the sound of the Kamaka cedar better. It’s hard to tell just from the YouTube audio. I thought I might ask those of you who have one if you would give an opinion. Thanks!

Sound is in the ear of the beholder. A few years ago, I had two virtually identical tenor, cedar ukes - a Pono and a Kala. I decided to sell one of them, so I did a detailed comparison. When it came to the sound, the Kala won, according to my ears and the ears of several other people.

I love the Kala cedar tenors. I have them in 4, 5, 6, and 8-string models.

So the theory of cedar top instruments seems to be that the sides and back are a much harder, denser wood, like rosewood. What is the tone difference going to be (well, your guess, anyway) between all cedar and cedar top, "other" sides and back?

You’re gonna read all this and then regret your decision. Buyer’s Remorse will consume you. Still, you’ll have an ukulele from Hawaii. And that is all that matters. That was always the dream.

The KoAloha SUS models were special.

Except they're out of stock. I did message SUS and am asking if these will be restocked.

I think an Ono cedar would be very suited to your playstyle! Jazzy voice IMO and very clear and distinct voice from each string that doesn't get muddied. My Ono is extremely light and has a clear/mellow tone you'd expect from a soft top/hard back and sides as well as cedar. On the Ono's in particular I love the tone, the responsiveness of the 18in. scale, the feel of the fretboard and frets. It's a high quality custom instrument, really everything is great about it, it's more if it just suits your taste :) The only downside to my own Ono is that I think it could use a slight setup adjustment as it's a touch too high for me and results in me sounding like some notes have a staccato. Nothing truly related to the quality of the instrument though.

Sound sample of my Ono from a recent SOTU

Thanks for the video! Nice playing. I was able to try a Ono yesterday. It was a 17 scale. I would like to try an 18 to see the difference. I liked the Ono I tried as it did have a lot of volume and sustain. I think I would have purchased it but the action was too high for me to play, especially when I played it next to a koaloha cedar and a kinnard cedar that both played like butter ie. low action. I’m discovering that playability and low action is what I’m looking for. The difference between koa and cedar is so slight to my ears :)

I just love cedar top ukes. Love the projection and warmth from them. I currently have the Anuenue Cedar Bird and the Lion, both strung with high-tension Uke Logic low g. Both are great but I give the nod to the cedar bird (UT214) if I had to choose one. But I like the cedar bird more because it is warmer in sound. I think my Lion has a more balance sound.

Edit: @Leongdad. Sorry just saw that you played a cedar bird already. Did you not like the cedar bird because of its warmth with Low G? I think for some it could be a little muddy if folks like some nice highs. That Red Label on TUS looks awesome! Do it!! lol

View attachment 156473
The cedar bird I played was very nice looking and felt good to play. It had a low g but I did not care for the string set. It was too soft and I could not dig in to it. I think maybe with different strings than what the factory had on it might have made the difference for me. I felt that the uke sounded a bit thin when I compared it to the koa bird which sounded nice an full.

especially when I played it next to a koaloha cedar and a kinnard cedar that both played like butter ie. low action.
How could you play these two and not buy one, the other, or both?

Where do you go to play an Ono, a Kinnard, and a KoAloha cedar?

Top Bottom