Shipping
Included. Ships to CONUS only.
Size
Soprano

ookooleilei

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is an absolute gem, and it pains me to sell it, but I have a Style 1 that I don't think I'll ever part with, so this one's a little redundant.
Feather-light build, as are all of these vintage Martins, with that sweeeeeeet mahogany tone.

A couple of issues with this one, neither effects playability or tone -- there's a very neatly cleated crack on the back that I couldn't even capture in a photograph, and it looks like the bridge was reglued at one point, with a very nice job there, too. Original tuners, that are in great shape, and hold tune well.

Don't see too many nearly 100 year old instruments that look as nice, or sound as nice as this one.

Asking $XXX $XXX $725, shipped, in the Gator hard case pictured, to CONUS.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0077.jpeg
    IMG_0077.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0079.jpeg
    IMG_0079.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0080.jpeg
    IMG_0080.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0081.jpeg
    IMG_0081.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
This is a "must have" uke for those that have multiple ukes! These vintage Martins have a voice all of their own, often imitated but rarely reproduced. And because they produced so many, they come up for sale pretty often. But their condition varies a lot! I have a 1916 that's still unrepaired and even with the wooden peg tuners, holds it's tuning and gets played regularly. This is a great looking Martin!

Great instrument! These are super light and produce a sound that is very full and resonant.The tone and projection that comes out of these is really surprising. They almost seem to defy laws of physics and acoustics.

Price drop to $XXX. I can almost guarantee this will be the liveliest, lightest, most responsive, warm-toned soprano you've ever played. It's an absolute steal at this price, especially in this condition. Not sure I can go any lower than this without just deciding to keep it.

Last edited:
Love the figure 8 shape of these senior beauties! Would love to compare the sound to my 1918 style 2 soprano :) GLWS and I hope it sells soon (so I don't have to buy it!)

-Steve

Love the figure 8 shape of these senior beauties! Would love to compare the sound to my 1918 style 2 soprano :) GLWS and I hope it sells soon (so I don't have to buy it!)

-Steve
Wow! Those pre-1920s Martins are quite rare, aren’t they?

Do my eyes deceive me, or is the finish on this uke as awesome as it looks? While looking at other Martins of this vintage on the market I saw a lot of understandable dings, edge chips and worn finishes. This one looks clean as a whistle.

Do my eyes deceive me, or is the finish on this uke as awesome as it looks? While looking at other Martins of this vintage on the market I saw a lot of understandable dings, edge chips and worn finishes. This one looks clean as a whistle.
It's pretty darned clean, yes! Was obviously well taken care of over the years, and I've tried to continue that since I bought it about a year or so ago... it's a beauty.

Price drop to $700! Wanted to update this listing to indicate that this ukulele absolutely has some bumps and bruises that have happened during its 100-or-so years. There is some light bellying, too, as these vintage Martins are built extremely lightly -- I'd say it's totally stable at this point, a century later! Just wanted to be clear about it, as I really only mentioned the major points -- the repaired bridge and back crack that was nicely cleated. And the bumps and bruises don't photograph well, but they are there. Thanks!

Last edited:
BIG PRICE DROP. $600, shipped, to CONUS only. Really need to start selling some ukuleles! My predicament can be your gain -- this is a wonderful vintage soprano at a great price!

And...those Gator cases are great. They fit the Martins really well and are very solidly built

This is a seriously great deal. That it has not solid at this price shows how bad the market for sopranos is here right now. If I were not selling a few, I would have snatched this up. Somebody buy this today--it is better deal than the one I am selling, so buy this one!

all I can say is 😮

if I hadn't just bought a new tenor, I would love adding another 100+ yr old Martin to my music room. I mean, I was already SO tempted with Rich's soprano!

as for the perceived reluctance to buy sopranos...I'll say that Martin really knew how to make the fretboard on these early ukuleles play like a larger instrument. when I go from a newer soprano of mine to playing on my Martin, my fingers just feel less cramped, even though the newer soprano has a slightly wider nut. hard to explain and I don't know all the dimensions of either uke. my point is, that some sopranos, especially these vintage Martins are VERY playable (obviously) even with fingerpicking. (disclaimer: unless you have hands like Andre the Giant!)

good luck with your sale!

-Steve

This is a seriously great deal. That it has not solid at this price shows how bad the market for sopranos is here right now. If I were not selling a few, I would have snatched this up. Somebody buy this today--it is better deal than the one I am selling, so buy this one!
Thanks, Rich. I do have to say though that the Talsma Ditson and the Barron River are both extremely tempting, excellent deals...

all I can say is 😮

if I hadn't just bought a new tenor, I would love adding another 100+ yr old Martin to my music room. I mean, I was already SO tempted with Rich's soprano!

as for the perceived reluctance to buy sopranos...I'll say that Martin really knew how to make the fretboard on these early ukuleles play like a larger instrument. when I go from a newer soprano of mine to playing on my Martin, my fingers just feel less cramped, even though the newer soprano has a slightly wider nut. hard to explain and I don't know all the dimensions of either uke. my point is, that some sopranos, especially these vintage Martins are VERY playable (obviously) even with fingerpicking. (disclaimer: unless you have hands like Andre the Giant!)

good luck with your sale!

-Steve
That's a great point, and I can't explain the relative comfort of the vintage Martins fretboard in concrete terms... but it's definitely a thing!

Thanks, Rich. I do have to say though that the Talsma Ditson and the Barron River are both extremely tempting, excellent deals...
Sounds like a chance for a nice trade! ;)

Top Bottom