Big Red Book of Lutherie Vol. 1

Sporky

Reaction score
Hi luthiers,
I admire this form of art that combines aesthetics and science. I have not had a chance to try my hand at crafting an instrument yet, as I live in a rented apartment where a workshop is impossible. Actually, that is one of the main reasons I'd ever live in a house somewhere away from the city, to have the freedom to experiment with woodworking.

Nevertheless I'm very interested in learning and I enjoy watching lutherie videos. But one thing I've had a hard time with is finding a thorough text on the acoustic physics of guitars and ukuleles. The title of this thread stems from the fact that the secondary sources I read always refer to volume 1 of the Big Red Book. I have not been able to find a copy of this and in fact it is not even in print. I've had a look at Left Brain Lutherie, but it also references the Big Red Book.

For example I've read about Helmholtz resonators but have not found discussions of the shape of the chamber itself, or shape of the soundhole, or multiple soundholes. I've seen tables of qualitative descriptions of tonewoods but not found frequency response figures. I'm unable to find in depth discussions of resonant frequencies of instruments. In fact I wonder how much theory manufacturers impart to their ukuleles? To avoid booming notes for example, like having resonance right on the low G in tenors which is quite unfortunate.

Anyway thank you in advance if you choose to share some of your wisdom with me 🙂

Sorry if you already know this, but the Big Red Books of American Lutherie are 3 year compilations of the GAL ( Guild of American Lutherie) quarterly magazines. The first volume is indeed out of print, but many of the other volumes are still available. StewMac is currently selling volume 7. Any of these are wonderful sources of all things about stringed instruments. I first joined the GAL in 1988 and have a large collection of the quarterly publications as well as volumes 3 and 4 of the Big Red Books. And by the way, the Helmholz calculations are based on a spherical container.
Brad

Helmholz calculations are based on a spherical container
Helmholtz calculations also work for other shapes. I used them to calculate the pitch of gemshorns made from cows' horns which are tapered cones which bend around a corner. I know other people who used the calculations for making ocarinas. I suppose an enclosed body of air doesn't really care what shape it is.
Miguel

Top Bottom