Blackbird Clara- or-??

MarTay6

Reaction score
I've been mulling over a Pineapple uke for some time, kind of in the back of my mind.
Then I heard a Blackbird 'Clara' Concert, and was pretty well blown away by the tone and volume.
First of all, as a lifelong woodworker, I love wood! Also, as a former guitar player, I had an Ovation guitar, and did not like the bowl-shaped back experience. I wouldn't particularly like having to add a strip of sandpaper to the back of it to keep it from sliding around.
I'm a fingerstyle player, and love the way the Clara sounds when fingerpicked!
Would have to order with no fingerboard dot inlays, as the thought of aluminum dots turns my stomach...
SOOOoooo... my question is, is there another Pineapple concert out there that could compete with the Clara?

1) Every ukulele player needs a concert.

2) As a Clara owner I can vouch for the sound of the Clara and the articulation of the notes when picked. That said, I use a strap when playing standing. With practice you can use your arm to hold the body while you play.
That said, I usually play it sitting down. 🤪

Although not exactly pineapple-shaped, the Romero Creations "Tiny Tenor" is a wonderful-sounding, easy-playing, loud instrument. The overall body length is no more than an average concert uke. It's available in several wood combinations and priced well under the excellent Clara.

Get the Clara add grip strips from Magic Fluke. Certainly not sand paper.
Or just those rubber bathtub patches/stickers?

Don't have one (yet), but I don't think the Clara has any competition in that category (alt materials concert).

Or just those rubber bathtub patches/stickers?

Don't have one (yet), but I don't think the Clara has any competition in that category (alt materials concert).
Klos just launched their concert sized carbon fiber uke. Might be worth considering as well.

My wife has a Clara, but uses a strap because of how slippery the back is. She has it low G and I feel like it's a little boomy as the opening is on the bass side.

Klos just launched their concert sized carbon fiber uke. Might be worth considering as well.

My wife has a Clara, but uses a strap because of how slippery the back is. She has it low G and I feel like it's a little boomy as the opening is on the bass side.
Boomy or too bright? Take your choice. The Clara is responsive and loud. I’ve searched for dull strings to take the edge off. I prefer my Clara low G.

Boomy or too bright? Take your choice. The Clara is responsive and loud. I’ve searched for dull strings to take the edge off. I prefer my Clara low G.
I just put Aquila Lava loyalty G on my Clara. Big full sound all the way across and up neck

I love my Clara, dearly. It's the first uke I grab. The back is super slick as mjh42 mentioned. I use a Uke Leash with it, but I still need more grip against the body. I had some KT Tape lying around so I applied that to(Therapeudic Kinesiology Tape) the back. Have used that for years and its a convenient solution. KT tape is easily found at pharmacies.

As to it having a booming sound: it's all in how you play it, but if you want to let it rip, the Clara punches above it's weight.

Bluesy.

Sorry, not really adding to this, but my ears prick up at any mention of Ovation guitars 😊. I’ve owned two Ovation Glen Campbells in the past. Loved em both. Never had any issue with them sliding around because of the built-in “rough patch” where they’d sit on your leg.

I, too, tend to play sitting down, but I have no problems playing the Clara standing up and without a strap, either, for what little it’s worth. And the nice thing about the bowl back is that there’s no sharp rear edge to jab you!

If you buy one, I’m pretty confident you won’t miss having fretboard markers. I’d never been without them before, either, but side dots are all I need.

A longneck Koaloha pineapple might be worth a look, too, if the Blackbird’s materials aren’t a selling point for you.

Top Bottom