Blues for U - song demo for 3D printed electric uke

jwnicholson

Reaction score
I recently designed a 3D-printed ukulele. The most recent iteration on it is an acoustic-electric version with an under-the-saddle piezo pickup.

The song in the video below, Blues for U, is an original song that I wrote and recorded as a sound demo for the 3D printed electric uke.

For those who have a 3D printer and want to print their own, you can download the print files from websites like thingiverse or printables. Links are available in the description on Youtube. The video also serves as build instructions for the printed uke.

I'd love to know what folks think of the recording, or the uke!

jeff

Impressive, Jeff. Not only the 3D build, but also the tune, your playing, and the resulting sound of the uke. Very cool, indeed.

I'm more of an acoustic gal, so I find it really difficult to discern the right voice from the other parts enough to evaluate it, so I can't really tell you what I think of the sound of the ukulele. I like the song a lot, though, really cool. And I adore the concept of the 3D printed ukulele, and open source just makes me happy. I see that you also have the actual beast for sale on Etsy:

Really neat!!

I'm more of an acoustic gal, so I find it really difficult to discern the right voice from the other parts enough to evaluate it, so I can't really tell you what I think of the sound of the ukulele. I like the song a lot, though, really cool. And I adore the concept of the 3D printed ukulele, and open source just makes me happy. I see that you also have the actual beast for sale on Etsy:

Really neat!!
Thanks! For the original acoustic demo song, I I tried to capture the acoustic sound of the uke as well as I could. For a plastic uke, I think it sounds pretty good, especially given that it's 3D printed.

For this demo song for the electric uke, I put it through lot's of distortion, reverb, delay, eq, etc., so there's not too much of the original acoustic sound left :) I really wanted to see if I could get a nice crunchy bluesy sound out of it.

I love open source, too and sharing my designs for others to print. I was contacted by a user on printables, who downloaded my uke design and started printing it to give away to schools as a charity. I thought this was awesome!

The Etsy store was an afterthought. I was having a lot of fun designing and improving my little ukes, but it was eating up a lot of filament. So my goal with the Etsy store is just to sell a couple of ukes every now and then to fund the materials for the next design. So far so good! :)

jeff

Top Bottom