Blunders, Eight-stringed Ukuleles and Random Winged Insects: Voran's blog

Being a complete teetotaller myself doesn't help cuz I have no first hand idea what I'm writing about. But the plot kind of requires drunken hedonism at this point to make a point about people escaping their harsh work life

Just had an odd experience...I felt anxious and couldn't get past the idea that there was a spider in the room.

There was a spider in the room.

I trapped the Nopeling in a cup and let him out the back door. What the hell.

Also: Why are spiders terrifying but venomous snakes not?

A blue insularis could kill me but I swoon over them. And yet I crap my pants at a harmless spider.

What's the evolutionary psychology there?!

I didn't say I hated them I said I ...um...you know. I've been asked to cut down on bathroom language

I didn't say I hated them I said I ...um...you know. I've been asked to cut down on bathroom language
Fair. But even then. They are the least scary spiders.

I don't love surprise spiders. Those startle me, sometimes even more than that.

Found two cute green tree frogs in my kitchen last week... I bought some potted basil plants to give out as gifts for the end of school. The frogs either jumped in while they were outside or came with them from the nursery. I caught them and sent them back outside.

Look at this image...this just doesn't come off as even being a spider to me. Just a stout-limbed little powerlifter who for some God knows what reason happens to be blue and oddly shaped.

Look at this image...this just doesn't come off as even being a spider to me. Just a stout-limbed little powerlifter who for some God knows what reason happens to be blue and oddly shaped.

The color is so stunning, the spider hardly seems real.

The color is so stunning, the spider hardly seems real.
I legit feel weird even using the word 'spider' though it obviously is.

Something about the combo of a heavy stocky body and glitter blue fur trips my OOOOO SHINY circuits rather than the AAAAAAARGH HELP OMG IVE JUST SOILED MY PANTS reaction.

Also it's odd that we use the term 'to soil' something meaning to dirty it.

You need soil to live.

My spiders and I have an unspoken agreement. My house is constructed with bigas (exposed logs serving as rafters). The black widows can do what they want up there, but don't come down to my level. Then it is turf-warfare and I have to exact penalties for the infringement. I even let them crawl on the walls with impunity (unless of course my wife sees it, then I am honor-bound to serve my homicidal tyrant and extinguish the trespassers. I am a bit frightened of the black widows because they are so harshly angular and martial, but the little jumpy wolf spiders are kind of cute. I have heard that along the eastern seaboard of the U.S. a spider is showing up with an eight-inch leg-span. That kind of gives me the jimjams.

OK, fair warning, this is a spider picture, and you could interpret his stance as "aggressive", but it's actually a "hey, baby, look at me, aren't I sexy?!" sort of pose. Look at the colours!! Plus, the peacock spider is a type of jumping spider, so by definition (IMO), adorable. I mean, so fuzzy! And the eyes are so cute!

I am a bit frightened of the black widows because they are so harshly angular and martial, but the little jumpy wolf spiders are kind of cute.
Fair enough.

I have heard that along the eastern seaboard of the U.S. a spider is showing up with an eight-inch leg-span. That kind of gives me the jimjams.
Australians will laugh at us. "A spider?! That's not a spider. THIS is a spider!" kind of response. They have that kind of spider as everyday run-of-the-mill garden spiders, and they aren't poisonous. "Pbtht. Poisonous?! A black widow isn't poisonous. Let me show a poisonous spider to you."

Do not visit Australia if you have a thing about spiders that leaves your trousers less than pristine. Even though the adorable peacock spider does reside in Australia, it's kind of the fairy wren version of the spider world, and is sort of an exception to the Australian spider rule.

OK, fair warning, this is a spider picture, and you could interpret his stance as "aggressive", but it's actually a "hey, baby, look at me, aren't I sexy?!" sort of pose. Look at the colours!! Plus, the peacock spider is a type of jumping spider, so by definition (IMO), adorable. I mean, so fuzzy! And the eyes are so cute!
Looks more like it's sighing and throwing up it hands because someone forgot to put the toilet seat down again.

Fair enough.

Australians will laugh at us. "A spider?! That's not a spider. THIS is a spider!" kind of response. They have that kind of spider as everyday run-of-the-mill garden spiders, and they aren't poisonous. "Pbtht. Poisonous?! A black widow isn't poisonous. Let me show a poisonous spider to you."

Do not visit Australia if you have a thing about spiders that leaves your trousers less than pristine. Even though the adorable peacock spider does reside in Australia, it's kind of the fairy wren version of the spider world, and is sort of an exception to the Australian spider rule.
You could not pay me to visit Australia. Nope. I would rather walk backwards into a burning building and shut the door. So irrational I know: 'NOOOOO AAAAAAAARRGH HELP...oh wait I DO like this stocky blue species.'

I do want to visit NZ sheerly because those big ol green puriri moths are glorious. I also love their birds. Pukekos are beautiful.

No insult meant to Australians. I know a few and they're great people but I'm not going near a country full of gigantic spiders.

Top Bottom