Blunders, Eight-stringed Ukuleles and Random Winged Insects: Voran's blog

So apparently there's outrage going on over women having to make the first move on a dating app called Bumble.

I will never understand.

Back when I dated as a teen and a very young adult I absolutely did make the first move. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to. I didn't know gender roles even still existed.

I don't see what's so hard about saying 'hey would you like to go to a metal concert together'.

I'm not really a relationships person though. I find even a wonderful healthy relationship is a bit hard on my introversion. My pink moth plushie is enough company :D

A friend of mine insisted on gifting me a massage gun because I was always complaining about muscle knots.

OMG.

This thing has unlocked a whole new world of instant regeneration. If I have a back or neck issue I can just get rid of it in a few minutes rather than wait hours or days for a heat pad or NSAIDs or stretches to take effect.

I wish I could go back in time to about 10/11 and give young me one to carry through life.

I still make the effort to move around more and not sit for long periods. I still think it would be worth seeing if we can restructure society so that large chunks of people don't have to sit for long periods and develop back or shoulder issues. Still. This device is the best.

I'm having to be super frugal right now but I want to get her an expensive gift at some point.

She has often mentioned wanting a custom chess set...if I reach a point where I can afford to spend a bit more again Imma commission for her that pink-on-purple set she always wanted.

I still feel a bit raw sometimes listening to heavy metal. I love my old 2008 era bands but sometimes they dig up too much nostalgia to deal with.

I miss moshing.

I miss the time we were lined up for a wall of death and Matt Heafy screamed the word annihilate and somehow we all collectively decided this was a command we should obey and we sprinted across the auditorium and smashed into each other at Mach 11.

I'd love to wear 3in razor sharp spikes but they're no longer so practical when you have a disabled family member to help with.

On the other hand...I realize I'm idealizing something in my head that definitely had downsides in real life. I do love wailing lead guitars and ground-shattering bass. I do love being the only female in a mosh pit full of attractive men. You can slam into them and they can lift you up and throw you through a metal barrier and you can ask them out afterwards! What more could a 18 year old girl ask for? But I absolutely do not miss being around drunk and stoned people. I don't miss my attempts at scheduling a band rehearsal always going down the toilet because someone would rather do drugs. I don't miss leaving parties early because cannabis smoke smells revolting and everyone is too drunk to have a coherent conversation. Even as a leather-clad teenage metalhead I had zero desire to sample any of that.

I can't wait to get my friend a custom chess set. She deserves one for this lil device. Used to be simply being female was a life limiting disability. Every month like clockwork I would be twisted up in agony drugged to the eyes unable to move even with pain meds.

I can make it all go away now simply by applying some shockwaves to my back.

For some reason the entire problem all starts with a muscle by L1. I don't know how that works or why one muscle in my lower back responds to female hormones so hard.

I am loving this massage gun. So good on my damaged area from a mountain bike crash when I was 17. Definitely a big reduction in how often I crack my back.

I can't wait to be able afford a custom chess set for her.

I see there's currently a big ol social media furore going on over an incident in which a man shoved his kids into the path of a group of marathon runners right while his wife was winning.

I have...conflicted thoughts on this.

There's a debate over whether it was a genuine but clumsy attempt at a cute gesture or whether it was deliberate sabotage.

I think 50/50 chance of either. I definitely notice there's this ominous element when men try to sell me on having children. They push it so hard that I'll be this cored-out wreck if I don't have kids before it's too late...and I'm not sure I buy the line that it's out of concern. I feel like I'm trying to reason with a grizzly bear who insists that ripping me open and munching on my viscera is really for my own good.

It might have been a genuine mistake. I do think if so it hints at a wider societal issue in which people put a bit too much value on dramatic gestures. It reminds me of those disastrous public proposal videos you see on Youtube.

I know I've gushed about it twice already but I'm so loving having this massage gun my friend gifted me.

I am almost back to pre-mountain-bike-crash young me...I have a damaged area in my middle/upper back from a brutal collision with a rock. All my life I would constantly feel the need to stretch and crack it.

I still do but only about 3 times a day as opposed to constantly messing with it every five to ten minutes.

I see there's currently a big ol social media furore going on over an incident in which a man shoved his kids into the path of a group of marathon runners right while his wife was winning.

I have...conflicted thoughts on this.

There's a debate over whether it was a genuine but clumsy attempt at a cute gesture or whether it was deliberate sabotage.

I think 50/50 chance of either. I definitely notice there's this ominous element when men try to sell me on having children. They push it so hard that I'll be this cored-out wreck if I don't have kids before it's too late...and I'm not sure I buy the line that it's out of concern. I feel like I'm trying to reason with a grizzly bear who insists that ripping me open and munching on my viscera is really for my own good.

It might have been a genuine mistake. I do think if so it hints at a wider societal issue in which people put a bit too much value on dramatic gestures. It reminds me of those disastrous public proposal videos you see on Youtube.

I know I've gushed about it twice already but I'm so loving having this massage gun my friend gifted me.

I am almost back to pre-mountain-bike-crash young me...I have a damaged area in my middle/upper back from a brutal collision with a rock. All my life I would constantly feel the need to stretch and crack it.

I still do but only about 3 times a day as opposed to constantly messing with it every five to ten minutes.
My huband runs marathons. He says it is great for after race recovery, I tried it once and it was too much for me.

My huband runs marathons. He says it is great for after race recovery, I tried it once and it was too much for me.
Unsure I'd go as far as a marathon but I most definitely want to try a 10k.

Unsure I'd go as far as a marathon but I most definitely want to try a 10k.
The furthest I ever ran was 5 miles and that was decades ago. Now I am a desk potato.

The most fun I ever had was doing a sprint distance triathlon. I was slow as molasses, but I enjoyed it and was ahead of last place by at least 20 people ;)

The furthest I ever ran was 5 miles and that was decades ago. Now I am a desk potato.

The most fun I ever had was doing a sprint distance triathlon. I was slow as molasses, but I enjoyed it and was ahead of last place by at least 20 people ;)
I did a 5k once. Super fun because it was a night event with glow sticks and free face paint.

Where is Orlik. I want some Orlik snuggles.

(He's the tall skinny black alley cat you may have seen in my pictures and I have not seen him in a while.)

Napalm says hello (ie my local orange alley cat). He's on my shed roof.

I covet him but he's super shy. I shall work on it. I would love an orange cat of my own.

I read Split Tooth by Tanya Tagaq.

I'm...unsure how I feel about it.

On one hand the descriptions of the Arctic are exhilarating. I can feel the brute physical strength of those polar bears just sitting at my computer reading her words. I can taste the cold air. I can feel the annihilation when you realize how small you are in the face of those ice sheets that go on for miles.

I also found that the perspective change helped me get out of a chess study slump. I was trying to learn positional concepts and no amount of effort went anywhere. Reading about the Arctic helped me get back in touch with reality and realize that a board game is just a board game.

On the other hand...some of the sexual scenes were a bit much. I wanted to hear about beauty and purity and ice and snow...I didn't really want to hear the word 'anus'.

Also LOL @ how chess terminology creeps into my everyday speech. I say blunder and annihilation all the time. I never used to.

Top Bottom