Bonanza Ukuleles - EDIT: Apparently Closing

WebParrot (s2)

Wisconsin, U.S.A.
UU VIP
Reaction score
Edit: See Baz comment below (comments #10 & #12) Thanks Barry.

Is anyone aware of, or know why Bonanza isn't "open"?
I went searching for their website (bonanzaukuleles.com) and got a blank screen with this message:

"Thank you for visiting! We are currently not taking orders for a few months.
We will be back online to serve you within 6 Months.
Thank you for your patience!"

I was hoping to browse for cases for a thinline case (for another UU poster) and couldn't even browse their offerings.

Hope everything is ok with them.... [ Edit: Everything IS !]

Last edited:
Huh. no announcement on the Facebook page 🤔

Is anyone aware of, or know why Bonanza isn't "open"?
I went searching for their website (bonanzaukuleles.com) and got a blank screen with this message:

"Thank you for visiting! We are currently not taking orders for a few months.

I was hoping to browse for cases for a thinline case (for another UU poster) and couldn't even browse their offerings.

Hope everything is ok with them....
"Bonanza Pete" is a member of the board, hopefully all is well and he's just totally booked.

"Bonanza Pete" is a member of the board, hopefully all is well and he's just totally booked.
That’s good to know.
It seemed kind of curious that they would completely blank the whole website rather than just including a splash note on the homepage. I always look at Mims website when she closes orders. She leaves everything else up… Good marketing, good branding.
I just hope everything‘s OK.

Last edited:
Pete has decided to retire and is no longer making ukuleles. Both are doing well.
If so, bless them both. They’re good people who brought some welcome innovation to the mid-level ukulele market.

They may have become victims of their own success.

They are fine - had message from him a week and half ago. He's retired!

From the sound of it they are taking a lengthy break and plan on coming back. In any event, I'm glad I bought my Bonanza when I did, I really like it!

From the sound of it they are taking a lengthy break and plan on coming back. In any event, I'm glad I bought my Bonanza when I did, I really like it!
I don't think so - at least not in the message he sent me. He's a cabinet maker first and foremost and that business is continuing by his son - but his son isn't wanting to do the ukes.

I don't think so - at least not in the message he sent me. He's a cabinet maker first and foremost and that business is continuing by his son - but his son isn't wanting to do the ukes.
The message left on the Bonanza ukulele site gives the impression they will be back. Maybe they're still trying to decide either way. If he's anything like my Dad he'll start to get restless with more time on his hands and he'll want to do something! :) Maybe he could do limited runs and have a sales model kind of like Cocobolo. Then he can work/not work depending on whatever mood hits him.

As of 4/19: "Thank you for visiting! We are currently not taking orders for a few months.

Last edited:
I love my Ranchhand that I got for the RV. I’m not sure what else would fit in that cabinet as well.

On the one hand, I was looking at other models to see what I might want next, and on the other hand, I am happy for anyone that retires on their own terms. That’s my goal for myself in a couple of years, so good for them and best wishes!

FYI... if you have an order outstanding and haven't yet had an update, their FaceBook page has their phone number listed.

Having known Pete for a number of years now, I don't think there would be any doubt if he had taken an order that it would be fulfilled. I don't even think this is an issue (e.g. unfilled orders and lack of contact from them)--and it troubles me a bit because it adds some alarm to a non-alarming situation.

I had contacted Pete a few months ago if he would ever hold another Bonanza Homecoming (there was one pre-COVID) and he had mentioned that once he hits ukulele #1000 (which is his wife, Shelley's), he was going to retire--and that the Kitchen business is their main focus right now (which is understandable, as it actually generates income). They did display at the Minnesota Kitchen and Bath Show this past winter (and as expected, do very fine work).

It has been extremely enjoyable to watch Bonanza these past years--to see a (somewhat) local craftsman come up with a solution that worked (those first HPL ukuleles), then move to other types of construction, using state of the art technology. The only other company that I know of that has pushed the boundaries of ukulele construction is Kanile'a, though KoAloha and Kamaka are now using CNC machines and laser engravers as well. I have had the pleasure to buy 3 Bonanza ukuleles, one for a former school program (it had the school logo and the school song as a rosette), one Tenor Amoeba (now sold), and a Mahogany Ranch Hand, which I still need to review. Pete and Shelley, I am sure, will still be involved in the Minnesota ukulele community, whether or not they are selling ukuleles--and we have been lucky to be enriched by Shelley's passion (which is why Pete started building) and Pete's ingenuity.

Having known Pete for a number of years now, I don't think there would be any doubt if he had taken an order that it would be fulfilled. I don't even think this is an issue (e.g. unfilled orders and lack of contact from them)--and it troubles me a bit because it adds some alarm to a non-alarming situation.
Sorry if you were under the (false) impression that I was implying there was an issue. FWIW, I received an email notice (at 5:53pm on the 27th) that there was a post to this thread. He/she briefly commented that an order was 'just placed' and they hadn't received a reply and (now) didn't have a way to check on it.

I simply thought it would be nice to offer them (and anyone else in the process) information that there was still contact info available.

Clever poster, that they were .. they deleted their post (or someone did)!! Regardless my intent seems to be misread.

Clever poster, that they were .. they deleted their post (or someone did)!! Regardless my intent seems to be misread.
Yes that is unfortunate that the deleted post takes away the context of your reply, I'm sorry that got misconstrued. For future reference, that's one reason it's worth replying to a post to quote it within your reply - your quote of the post doesn't get deleted when the post itself gets deleted.

Yes that is unfortunate that the deleted post takes away the context of your reply, I'm sorry that got misconstrued. For future reference, that's one reason it's worth replying to a post to quote it within your reply - your quote of the post doesn't get deleted when the post itself gets deleted.

For the record, the poster deleted their own comment, which is of course their prerogative. There are some folks here who delete quite regularly, again, their prerogative (although I'd honestly rather they didn't do it quite so often-- it wreaks havoc with our Google reputation!)....all the more reason to heed @ploverwing's sage advice: if a comment is necessary for the context of your reply, please quote it! It's good for everyone when threads are readable! :)

For the record, the poster deleted their own comment, which is of course their prerogative. There are some folks here who delete quite regularly, again, their prerogative (although I'd honestly rather they didn't do it quite so often-- it wreaks havoc with our Google reputation!)....all the more reason to heed @ploverwing's sage advice: if a comment is necessary for the context of your reply, please quote it! It's good for everyone when threads are readable! :)
Further off topic : -) ... FWIW, I would have normally "quoted" the poster, but her/his timing was quicker than mine. I received/read the email notice (of the comment) some time after the comment was deleted.

Having sensed the concern they expressed, I felt -in the context of a PSA- it might be helpful to share that there is still a way to contact the owners by simply placing a phone call. Wasn't critical, wasn't implying an issue, simply saying.... nuff said : -) I don't mean to sound defensive, only clarifying.

Top Bottom