Setup Broken Bracing

Joralin

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

i bought a used ukulele and it came with a broken bracing at the bottom.

Well the seller tells me it wasnt there when he sent it to me. More or less he says that i damaged it myself to get a lower price...

Well im quite sure he tries to trick me but he has only positive ratings.

So i would like to know if anybody every had something like this? Can this happen on shipping because of lower temperatures ?( not lower that 5 degree celsius)...

Its on the bottom of the ukulele.

Attachments

• IMG_20231111_100930.jpg
    IMG_20231111_100930.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 43
That kind of break is usually caused by a knock/impact. Cold wouldn't do that.

If nothing else has been knocked loose it's an easy repair.

Well, you should give a negative rating. Accusing you of deliberately causing this crack is crazy! How would you even do that?

I would be pissed at the seller. Enough to even go beyond a Yelp type rating to file a Better Business Bureau complaint.

Hello Guys,

i bought a used ukulele and it came with a broken bracing at the bottom.

Well the seller tells me it wasnt there when he sent it to me. More or less he says that i damaged it myself to get a lower price...

Well im quite sure he tries to trick me but he has only positive ratings.

So i would like to know if anybody every had something like this? Can this happen on shipping because of lower temperatures ?( not lower that 5 degree celsius)...

It’s on the bottom of the ukulele.

It’s unlikely that you’ll get anywhere much with the seller. If they resell a lot of stuff then the damage might have been unnoticed by them and if it’s a private seller (player) then they‘re likely not completely honest. The damage could still have somehow happened in transit, but with good packing then it shouldn’t have done and I can’t see how temperature could cause this damage either.

Why and how any purchaser would do this damage escapes me, I certainly can’t see any buyer making money out of compensation.

Whatever, I suggest that you seek our repair advice / costs and hope that the instrument wasn’t expensive.

Thank you for your opinions guys.

Well i bought it on reverb. The instrument costed 500 Euro and i was quite a bit surprised that he took my offer immediately withouth haggling ( he wanted 690, the new price was about 1000 Euro).

After some talk he offered me 100 Euro reduction. The other option is that i ship it back but he will ship it to thomann so they can take a look at it.

But he said that he had it once that somebody damaged a ukulele he sent to scam some money. He got to police and won the court case.

Well on the other side he has only positive ratings ( but only 3), and is the chief officer of a hospital. On the other side thjs sounds fishy as f..

Long terms short: i dont want a court case, but i also dont want to get scammed.

How is the refund system at reverb?

Can he just wait with my refund as long as he wants, since reverb has no idea when my return arrived?

That kind of break is usually caused by a knock/impact. Cold wouldn't do that.

If nothing else has been knocked loose it's an easy repair.

I found nothing else that is loose. But the upper part of the bracing is very stiff and not moving. How can you bend it down for a repair?

Last edited:
Sounds fishy all the way around...

Chief officer of a hospital? With time enough to sell at least five ukuleles (3 ratings, the court case one, and yours)? And the police are going to follow up on a dispute about an ukulele? Do you think the police will come to your house and inspect the ukulele so that they could testify in court on his or your behalf? So even his story about being scammed sounds like a con job.

I would follow up with Reverb BEFORE ever shipping the ukulele. They have to be experienced here and should be able to advise you as to how to proceed. Just the fact that he took almost 200 less than asking price indicates he knew something was wrong (and offering another 100 off).

I recommend getting your money back through Reverb (you can get proof of delivery and submit to them if that works) and moving on.

That's not acceptable damage for an instrument to have. It could get worse as it gets older.

I would go through Reverb. It is not as if it's a cheap instrument and you could fix it (or pay someone to fix it but that's not a trivial bit of damage. I don't believe that you would get sued - the seller would have to prove you damaged it. I think Reverb will probably sort out returning it for all the money you paid..

Top Bottom