uk instead.

I believe the Bugs Gear uk is slightly bigger than
the Woodi

Should I go for the Woodi or wait a month or so?:confused:

Just a newby,
Tom Welch
Mesa, Az

Last edited:
My impression of the Woodi that I own is that it is more of a toy than a uke and I suspect the bugs gear would be the same. I've tried several Makala Dolphins in the same price range and they are actually ukes.

The Makala Dolphins appear to be the best value for only
$49 + shipping...thank you all this evening

I don't have a Woodi but happen to love the 2 BG's I have. They have a different plastic like sound but have good intonation and are a fun attraction, great for just leaving in the car in the heat without worry. I left one mine (as an experiment) in the car all summer and there is only a slight lifting of the bridge. Does not seem to have affected the intonation. Here is a sample video I made at the time of purchase :) The only thing I don't like is that the frets are the same color as the rest of the uke which makes it hard to see the frets for a far sighted person.

Same position as OP, I'd get a Flea, Fluke or Kala.

I have 2 plastic ukes, a Macciferri Islander and a woody. the Islander is a real uke with it's own distinct sound. the Woody was a nice try, but falls short of being a uke you can set up and play well. more a toy. so wait, or buy a used Islander.

The bugsgear is not a bad ukulele. Two things about it I didn't like, one is fixable.

If you notice the string spacing is narrower than a typical ukulele. The action for me is high as I'm a low action guy and the string spacing makes it worse.

Also the strings are very unstable. Look at them funny and they fall out of tune. I'd walk outside with the ukulele and it would right away sound bad. I'm pretty sure the "aquilas" on the rubin sopranino I recently got are the same chinese strings and are just as frustrating.

I went to Namm with the mission of checking out all the plastic ukes. Aqualele seems better/louder/sweeter then woodi, also larger and heavier/heaviest of the bunch. Woodi's zero fret is annoyingly placed. And the action was a little high.

MaKala' Waterman sounded pretty good, looks really good. They look a lot like the Woodis except the zero fret is placed better, they play better too. their action was lower. The Makala Dolphins sitting next to it sound better, handily. I would like to A and B the Aqualele to the Waterman. The waterman had its plastic frets painted and the demo's all had it pretty much off in places.

Another company Alan music Co had some pretty cool plastic ukes. Some with lenticular tops that where pretty fun. They also had plastic rounded backed ukes with laminate tops wood necks and plastic fretboards. This made for a startling cheap and good beginner uke, they where like $15 a piece I just had to buy 100 of 'em.

Another company Alan music Co had some pretty cool plastic ukes. Some with lenticular tops that where pretty fun. They also had plastic rounded backed ukes with laminate tops wood necks and plastic fretboards. This made for a startling cheap and good beginner uke, they where like $15 a piece I just had to buy 100 of 'em.

When are you expecting delivery ? I am interested the lenticular top model as well as the other model. (Do you have website and retail price info ? )

Lenticular Ukes,

When are you expecting delivery ? I am interested the lenticular top model as well as the other model. (Do you have website and retail price info ? )

Sorry, I unintentionally implied I was a dealer. I am a filmmaker (editor) and Uke geek. I'll e-mail the and see if they can e-mail me the catalog to share.

Sorry, I unintentionally implied I was a dealer. I am a filmmaker (editor) and Uke geek. I'll e-mail the and see if they can e-mail me the catalog to share.

No worries, would love to know where to buy a lenticular ukulele, wondering what they look like (pictures) and even a little what the sound like (but that is a far second for novelty ukes in my book).

Lenticular uke

No worries, would love to know where to buy a lenticular ukulele, wondering what they look like (pictures) and even a little what the sound like (but that is a far second for novelty ukes in my book).

They didn't sound bad, at all. It's been my experience uke sound is subjective, depending on the last ukelele you played.

The waterman sounded fine until I picked up the dolphin. My aqualele comes today. I e-mailed the company for an e-brochure but haven't heard back, it's been days.

I've got a friend in china ill have him write in Chinese, maybe that will help.

Last edited:
I guess I am currently a little obsessed with plastic ukuleles, having a toddler and many kids of various ages coming and going all the time. Have both the bugsgear and the woodi, and prefer the bugsgear. Mine came with good strings, jury still out on woodi strings. Find the bugsgear easier to play, but my hands are not the largest and woodi neck is fat. Bugsgear sounds better to me, and strings hold tuning much better. I do prefer the overall look, one pop color, of the woodi.

I have a Woodi that I've played for several months. I also have a Kealoha plastic which I acquired about a month ago. I like them both. I play one every morning while taking my regular tub soak. The Woodi's sound is somewhat softer and darker than the Kealoha's. They are both plastic, but the material is obviously different. The Woodi's plastic seems softer, more flexible, whereas the Kealoha's plastic seems harder and more brittle. That gives the Kealoha a correspondingly brighter, louder sound. Neither sound like wood, but to my ear, the Woodi comes close to a Mahogany sound. The Kealoha's sound reminds me of a resonator Uke tone. It's not bad or unpleasant, just full of high frequencies. The Woodi is smaller, with about a 13 1/2 inch Soprano size scale, and the Kealoha is bigger, with a 15 inch Concert size scale. I find the Kealoha easier to play, partly due to its larger size, and partly due to its more squared off, higher frets. Both have molded frets, integral to the fretboard. If you're fussy about set up, you'll find both have their strings set pretty high. There is no way to adjust the set up on the Woodi. The Kealoha has a molded nut, but it looks like it has a conventional, removable saddle in the bridge. I haven't changed the strings yet, so I'm not 100% sure of that. The Woodi seems to be a sturdier instrument, but the Kealoha is well built too. The fit and finish of both are good. The top plate on the Kealoha headstock has a slightly overlapping rough edge, but it is hardly noticeable. I wouldn't want either of these instruments for general playing. The sound quality just isn't good enough. But for the bathtub, they both work just fine.

My review about gotaukulele's review

I respect Barry's passion about instrument review but, unfortunately, he looks lack of sound evaluation capacity.
Of course, evaluating which sound is good or bad is personal taste but, it's too much far from other reviewers as below and my ukulele is not candy so, please don't compare mine with other ukuleles using word "sweeter".

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2014/04/08/bugsgear-aqulele-plastic-ukulele-review/
http://home.ukulelecorner.co.uk/home/in-the-corner/soprano-or-standard/bugsgear-aqulele
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1643893

Reviewing many things about musical instrument without(or almost no comment) sound is same as restaurant reviewer reviews
restaurant's parking lot, toilet, waiter's service without foods taste.
So, we are sorry you are not welcome to review for my future ukuleles.

Thanks
Philip.K

I really DIDN'T like the BugsGear - just felt bad in the hands. Some rough finishing and it sounded like a plastic ukulele...

The Woodi - I wouldn't say it sounded better, but i kind of fell in love with it - it wasn't trying to be serious, felt great in the hands, wider nut too.

Reviews of each below

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2014/04/bugsgear-aqulele-ukulele-review.html
http://www.gotaukulele.com/2014/06/woodi-rocket-soprano-ukulele-review.html

Last edited:
Just got my MaKala' Waterman in red from Mike @ Uke
Republic this morning

Will consider buying another plastic uke soon, would like
a concert sized uke

Thank you all,
Tom Welch
Mesa, AZ USA

Last edited: