Buy used rather than new?

I'm a fan and pretty much play, Martin Sopranos. 20 years ago I could only afford distressed ones. After some basic fixes, I discovered the sound of these vintage ukuleles. I then buy used with the exception of one of the first Bushmans because of the price and bling. Last year, I gave it to a local fire victim. Tried New Martins at the local stores but wasn't moved to pull out the Wallet. It is a narrow field of interest as regards to the initial post, I just wish they would build them like they used to.

I love the hunt. Sometimes you find a gem, sometimes you find a dud.

Sometimes I’ll see a sad old vintage Uke that I know that I can fix up. I’ll buy it and give it to a kid.

It makes the kid happy and I’m happy that there is one more old Uke thats a step further from the grave. :)

I probably wouldn't feel guilty about buying a mass produced ukulele used, but when a smaller company (like Kamaka) or luthier (like Kinnard, Ono, LoPrinzi) loses the sale because of a used ukulele being available instead, I start to feel conflicted. And a seller, like HMS, Mim, or Uke Republic doesn't get the business either.

You concern and empathy for retailers and manufacturers is admirable but I have to wonder, does it also apply to car dealerships?

Unless those entities also carry used ukes they are not losing the sale at all. They simply don't carry the item in question. Used ukes are a different product than new ones and that's reflected in the price difference between the two.

Someone who's only looking to spend $x isn't even considering buying from HMS, Kamaka, etc. if a comparable, but new uke, is going to cost them $xxx. The person who sells the used uke may well be liquidating their collection to make room and $ for something that they DO plan to get from the sources the OP lists.

You concern and empathy for retailers and manufacturers is admirable but I have to wonder, does it also apply to car dealerships?

I'm not sure I get what you're saying, but my car didn't come with a ukulele. Maybe it was an upgrade?

I have bought used, (here on UU), as well as new, & buying used allowed me to try some ukuleles that I wouldn't have been able to try otherwise. I'm not suggesting that it shouldn't be done, butI do think that, like trying something locally & then buying on the internet instead (other thread someone started), there are pros & cons. It was interesting to hear responses. And maybe I'll feel less conflicted now, since I seem to alone in being conflicted. :)

I'm not sure I get what you're saying, but my car didn't come with a ukulele. Maybe it was an upgrade?

You expressed concern over the supposed loss of business HMS etc. would see if someone bought a used instrument.

I just wondered if you had the same kind of concerns for retailers of other more expensive items which can also be purchased on the used market.

I see where you're coming from though. I have an old VW that I continue to upkeep/upgrade and I prefer to buy from vendors who specialize in providing the unique parts needed to keep it on the road versus my local car parts shops - because I appreciate having those vendors around. But, at some point, frugality has to come into play as I simply can't make purchases solely on the basis of charity toward a commercial enterprise.

How about property developers? Do you feel for them or are you ok buying a used house?

Just to be incredibly clear, yes I'm being daft and this is a poor attempt at humour :D

And a seller, like HMS, Mim, or Uke Republic doesn't get the business either.

Ahem.. I have seen HMS sell used ukes, I have a resonator that was purchased from HMS that sold it after TLC to make it nicer.. infact buying used ukes from a website that knows what setup/TLC is, would be preferred!

Ahem.. I have seen HMS sell used ukes, I have a resonator that was purchased from HMS that sold it after TLC to make it nicer.. infact buying used ukes from a website that knows what setup/TLC is, would be preferred!

Yes, but they do make money from the sale, so it does help keep them in business.

At least that's how it works when I sell outright (vs. consignment - but they make $ from consignment too) to places like Elderly, or to a local store. They give me X amount of $ upfront when I sell outright, and then when they resell it, they sell for the X amount + extra to give them some income.

Again, I have bought used from UU, too, so that does bypass that, so it's not a judgement on the various routes of buying an instrument, new or used.

This is silly. If a homeowner wants to sell their house without using a realtor, that is perfectly fine and they have every right to do so. They have no moral obligation to use a real estate agent. That said, they are likely to get a better price and a quicker sale with a realtor (with a lot less work!), so there is a trade off.

All the above is true for ukes as well!

Last edited:
I must not be stating things well.

Of course anyone has the right to buy or sell in any way they choose.

Thanks for all the interesting responses.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying, but my car didn't come with a ukulele.

I would bet anything that a car dealer in Hawaii has given a uke away with the purchase of a car. : )

If people bought nothing but new ukuleles, that would be great for dealers, but what would happen to all the old ukes? I wouldn't be too quick to donate a $600 uke.

Top Bottom