Buying guidance please

ravenclaww

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm stepping into the guitar world again. Had a couple of old Yamaha's years back. Can you guys suggest some, around $1000, I have arthritis in my hands

You need to be much more specific what kind of guitar you want as there is a lot more variety and choice than for ukes. E.g classic vs steel string guitar, archtop vs flattop. And then for flattop there are at myriad of sizes and options for the different playing styles and genres. For ease of playing with weak hands nothing beats a US made Ovation, and they can be quite reasonably priced.

I think I'd like a flattop dreadnaught, do you happen to know any nice Mahogany ones?

You need to be much more specific what kind of guitar you want as there is a lot more variety and choice than for ukes. E.g classic vs steel string guitar, archtop vs flattop. And then for flattop there are at myriad of sizes and options for the different playing styles and genres. For ease of playing with weak hands nothing beats a US made Ovation, and they can be quite reasonably priced.
I’ve owned a couple of late 70s Ovation Glen Campbells in the past, and can’t fault them. Must get another one of these days.

I think I'd like a flattop dreadnaught, do you happen to know any nice Mahogany ones?

Are you looking for an all mahogany or spruce top with mahogany back and sides??? There are a lot more options if spruce and mahogany is your choice. One you might be interested in is a Yamaha Red Label FG3, it's a fantastic guitar that gets rave reviews. I've played them and it has a beautiful tone. Sweetwater sells them for $879.00.

Eastman are making great guitars, again alot of love and respect on the guitar forums. The E6D-TC at $1199 is an amazing guitar, also the ED-1 deluxe at $799.

Last edited:
Buy used from a trusted seller. There are a few flatpicking forums out there like this that have a Marketplace section.

As I was still able to play guitar, I saw some Yamahas with various narrow necks/fretboards, which was better for my arthritis, but I don’t know if they have a model that is all mahogany and everything else you would like

As I was still able to play guitar, I saw some Yamahas with various narrow necks/fretboards, which was better for my arthritis, but I don’t know if they have a model that is all mahogany and everything else you would like
I have had a fair share of playing Yahamas back in the day, looking for something different, something super easy to play. Can't risk spending and not being able to play :(

I have had a fair share of playing Yahamas back in the day, looking for something different, something super easy to play. Can't risk spending and not being able to play :(

You might want to consider a “tenor” guitar. I had to give up 6 string guitar because of arthritis in my hands, and have no issues playing the 4 string…

Whatever you buy, get a professional setup done and play light strings. This will improve the playability of any guitar. It’s worth the investment and will protect your hand health.

I’ll second the Eastman suggestions, but you can also find a nice used Martin or Taylor for $1000 if you hunt patiently.

Good luck!

Are you looking for an all mahogany or spruce top with mahogany back and sides??? There are a lot more options if spruce and mahogany is your choice. One you might be interested in is a Yamaha Red Label FG3, it's a fantastic guitar that gets rave reviews. I've played them and it has a beautiful tone. Sweetwater sells them for $879.00.

Eastman are making great guitars, again alot of love and respect on the guitar forums. The E6D-TC at $1199 is an amazing guitar, also the ED-1 deluxe at $799.
I helped a student buy an ED-1 recently. It’s a super nice guitar. Tonally it is pretty bright to my ears - more like a Taylor than a Martin D-18. The sapele was quite figured and the guitar was beautiful in all respects.

Tough to beat a Seagull. Some hate the headstock shape but my son has never regretted paying far less than for a Martin and getting a great guitar.
Simon And Patrick guitars are also made by Godin (maker of Seagull), but have a more normal looking headstock. I've had their low end parlor and folk sizes, and thought both were excellent guitars for the price.

You might want to consider a “tenor” guitar. I had to give up 6 string guitar because of arthritis in my hands, and have no issues playing the 4 string…
That surprises me. Tenor guitars are usually tuned in 5ths, which means longer fretting hand stretches for most chords. Perhaps you use Chicago tuning, DGBE?

Whatever you buy, get a professional setup done and play light strings. This will improve the playability of any guitar. It’s worth the investment and will protect your hand health.
To add to this; my 24.9" scale 00 strung with Pyramid silk and steels is the easiest-playing guitar I own. So maybe consider a short scale as well.

I’ll second the Eastman suggestions, but you can also find a nice used Martin or Taylor for $1000 if you hunt patiently.

Good luck!
I found a used Martin at a colleague. Loved it, just a little out of my price range. But damn you're right, it played well.

Top Bottom