C.F. Martin & Co. in Pennsylvania, established nearly 200 years ago, is adjusting to a changing economy

DJ Mango

Reaction score
Behind paywall :
https://www.wsj.com/articles/maker-...with-fulfillment-centers-for-workers-aeac9f73

im-824532

I would far rather work at Martin than at an Amazon warehouse.

edit: I mean, I can understand wanting the higher initial wages… but with Martin the job security, profit sharing, and matched 401k as well as the skills built over time are quite valuable. Let alone the working conditions.

Last edited:
Can’t read it because of the paywall, but I love the T-shirt of the worker in the picture. Has a sort of Aloha/pirate gestalt.
Arrrloha

The first paragraph of the article is basically the story :
"For nearly two centuries, workers have hand-built guitars and other acoustic instruments here in the Lehigh Valley, with applicants sometimes waiting years for apprenticeships. But over the past decade, economic changes have put C.F. Martin & Co. in the odd position of having to compete for workers."

For some articles sometimes after a few days the paywall comes down .

im-824529

Dominic Fontana had to wait about a year and a half after applying for a job at C.F. Martin & Co.

I imagine when you work for a large company like Martin, you get stuck doing the same repetitive job all day, instead of making an instrument from start to completion. I don't think I would get a lot of satisfaction working that way even if you eventually get to do each job after a few years. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I imagine when you work for a large company like Martin, you get stuck doing the same repetitive job all day, instead of making an instrument from start to completion. I don't think I would get a lot of satisfaction working that way even if you eventually get to do each job after a few years. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Assembly work is just that, whether it's a guitar or a jet aircraft engine. I would be interested in knowing how they're adjusting to the changing economy...

Bill1, I’d like to extend to you an invitation to join SEA, the Society for the Elimination of Acronyms.
(😉 Hope you don’t think I’m picking on you. Lots and lots of people qualify for membership these days. 😊)
I don't know what a CBD is. First search results (after the ads) were Cannabidiol (a psychoactive molecue in the weed plant) and Carribean Development Bank. Don't think the poster meant either, not sure he wants others to know what he means?

I don't know what a CBD is. First search results (after the ads) were Cannabidiol (a psychoactive molecue in the weed plant) and Carribean Development Bank. Don't think the poster meant either, not sure he wants others to know what he means?
Central Business District

I just want to say first off that I pulled into Nazareth, was a feeling bout half past dead. :censored: I can't hear Nazareth without thinking that.

I can't see the article but according to Indeed.com 2nd shift production worker gets:
  • $17 to $24 Hourly
  • 401k, Dental, Life Insurance, Medical, Vision,
  • Full-Time
Job Description
World-renowned leader in acoustic guitar and string manufacturing has job openings in various production areas. On the job, training, experience operating woodworking machinery, using hand tools, close attention to detail and guitar playing skills would be a plus but is not mandatory.
We offer a wide variety of manufacturing jobs ranging from but not limited to, working with CNC machines, Robotics, general assembly, finishing and polishing, and the final stringing and inspections of our world-famous guitars.

I wonder if dealing with guitars all day, I would be less inclined to pick one up and play when I'm not at work. Maybe. It's hard to not see it as a fantasy job for a guitar player but might not be as fun as it seems if you are putting tuners on headstocks 40 hrs a week.

I wonder if dealing with guitars all day, I would be less inclined to pick one up and play when I'm not at work.
I recall an interview with Midge Ure a few years ago, in which he was asked if he enjoyed playing music for himself when not touring. He replied that he never touched the guitar at home because it was his job.

I just want to say first off that I pulled into Nazareth, was a feeling bout half past dead. :censored: I can't hear Nazareth without thinking that.

I can't see the article but according to Indeed.com 2nd shift production worker gets:
  • $17 to $24 Hourly
  • Full-Time
Job Description
World-renowned leader in acoustic guitar and string manufacturing has job openings in various production areas. On the job, training, experience operating woodworking machinery, using hand tools, close attention to detail and guitar playing skills would be a plus but is not mandatory.
We offer a wide variety of manufacturing jobs ranging from but not limited to, working with CNC machines, Robotics, general assembly, finishing and polishing, and the final stringing and inspections of our world-famous guitars.

I wonder if dealing with guitars all day, I would be less inclined to pick one up and play when I'm not at work. Maybe. It's hard to not see it as a fantasy job for a guitar player but might not be as fun as it seems if you are putting tuners on headstocks 40 hrs a week.
Article mentions there is a profit sharing program .

"... Martin said that a few years ago he had to face the reality that profit-sharing isn’t as immediately attractive to a new generation of workers as the higher hourly wages the new warehouses were paying. ...

" ... “We had to confront the reality that they’re paying more,” he said. An annual profit-sharing bonus doesn’t pay the monthly bills, he came to realize. And so the company boosted its hourly wage. ... "

... " Wages for entry-level production co-workers currently range from $17 to $29 depending on the role and experience, said Ripsam. “In addition, we provide profit-sharing, which we believe adds up to a competitive total compensation,” he said. " ...

" ... “We have this precious context, and what we do is so special,” he said. “I think people who come here have to be attracted to that.” ... "

im-824531

Housing prices in the Lehigh Valley have been climbing, putting pressure on labor costs.

• $17 to $24 Hourly
  • Full-Time
Job Description

I think there is the assumption that Martin factory workers are all guitar players and living the dream. I wonder how many are that and how many are just factory workers. My friend worked for John Deere for thirty five years making spindles for cotton pickers. He wasn't a cotton picker, he was a factory worker.

Top Bottom