Calling all harpist

plunker

Reaction score
A real neophyte here.
Question: I have two 10 hole in C. When one gets loaded up, tapping doesn't seem to help much, I go to the next one. One seems to draw much better than the other even when all dried out. Both were cheapies. If I kept them in rice would that absorb the moister better. Next I just received one of these. Blows and draws great. Notes seem to be the same both high row and low row. Finding the notes seem harder and isolating the notes seem harder. Also seems to have a brighter sound, and with blowing easier, sound control seems to be harder, i have to concentrate to keep the volume down. Do the different brand have different tones? Any suggestions on isolating the holes better, like I said seems much easier on 10 hole. Thanks, but don't expect a video soon.
1639841069317.png
/

A real neophyte here.
Question: I have two 10 hole in C. When one gets loaded up, tapping doesn't seem to help much, I go to the next one. One seems to draw much better than the other even when all dried out. Both were cheapies. If I kept them in rice would that absorb the moister better. Next I just received one of these. Blows and draws great. Notes seem to be the same both high row and low row. Finding the notes seem harder and isolating the notes seem harder. Also seems to have a brighter sound, and with blowing easier, sound control seems to be harder, i have to concentrate to keep the volume down. Do the different brand have different tones? Any suggestions on isolating the holes better, like I said seems much easier on 10 hole. Thanks, but don't expect a video soon.
View attachment 137679
/
Your 10 holes are probably Diatonic harmonicas, the one shown is a Tremelo.
If you Google these two types, you will probably find a better description of the differences between them than I can provide here.
To complicate matters, various other types are also available, check out Chromatic, for example.

Vintage

As VintageGibson said, the new one is called a tremolo harp. This is a diatonic harp with the top and bottom holes tuned almost the same, but one just a bit out of tune, resulting in a vibrato (wavering of pitch). These are no good for blues techniques, but can sound really neat for some songs and tunes.
As far as your 10 hole C harps, when a reed gets stuck, you can sometimes get it loose by sticking it in boiled water. This will often loosen the stuck reed.
I hope you have plastic combs on these harps, because the water will sometimes cause the wooden combs to swell. In the sixties it was common practice to soak harps to make the reeds bend more easily, and the only harps worth playing (before the Blues Harp was introduced) was the Marine Band (called the Echo Super Vamper in Europe) and these had a wooden comb that would swell when it was soaked. I would cut them back with an exacto knife, but this made them feel funny on my tongue. He takes them out of a glass of water (I assume it's water) and puts them in his rack.

Top Bottom