Can anyone recommend a TV?

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Looking for a 32 inch TV. Can be non-smart TV.
Looking at reviews, nothing stands out. I will buy it in person, but would like to have an idea of what I might want before I deal with salespeople.

It won't get much use, doesn't need smart TV features, but decent picture and sound are wanted.

If anyone has any suggestions, they will be appreciated.

Edit to add:
Easy set up wanted as well. Reading reviews, it sounds like some are complicated. We're used to: plug it in, attach an antenna, scan for channels, and you're good to go. (i.e.: non-smart TV.)

Last edited:
By your edit - The one I've posted will work fine with just the "rabbit ear" channels. I have ears connected for the rare times my internet goes out. But if you have internet (you obviously do!) the free streaming is not that hard to set up. It walks you through everything. I don't think anyone make an antenna only TV.

I have a Samsung, and I love it. Bought at Sam's Club 4 years ago. First looked at the brand because I have a Samsung VCR/DVD player-recorder that has been through the war and refuses to die. And an old 20" tube set that works fine, with the digital converter. Then I found the TVs come with free streaming called Samsung TV Plus. It's over 200 channels. A lot is the same ones on pay TV. Nothing premium, most have commercials. A few look like some kid in a basement is running them. A few seem to have a shoebox full of DVDs they play over and over. I deleted all the ones I don't like from my channel guide and still have maybe 75 that are worth seeing what's on. For free, I can't complain.

There is a screen that connects to everything you might be paying for, like HBO, Netflix and Paramount Plus.

I understand most other brands have streaming included as well, probably very similar to mine.

It will connect by, IIRC, four different cables, or Wi-Fi which is what I do.

Last edited:
Looking for a 32 inch TV. Can be non-smart TV.
Looking at reviews, nothing stands out. I will buy it in person, but would like to have an idea of what I might want before I deal with salespeople.

It won't get much use, doesn't need smart TV features, but decent picture and sound are wanted.

If anyone has any suggestions, they will be appreciated.

Edit to add:
Easy set up wanted as well. Reading reviews, it sounds like some are complicated. We're used to: plug it in, attach an antenna, scan for channels, and you're good to go. (i.e.: non-smart TV.)
Modern tv's aren't difficult to set up really. Non smart tvs are out there but you have to look for them. We purchased a "smart" tv for my 95 yr old mom and simply didn't connect to the router. That way she was able to watch the few channels she enjoyed without the difficulty of all the streaming services and data collection. Samsung, LG, and Sony are at the top of the tv brand heap currently with TCL, Hisense are more reasonably priced brands with good reputations.

https://cordcutting.com/devices/ota-tv/ Looks like ota tv is still a thing.

https://www.rtings.com/tv - the go to website for tv ratings and info.

Modern tv's aren't difficult to set up really. Non smart tvs are out there but you have to look for them. We purchased a "smart" tv for my 95 yr old mom and simply didn't connect to the router. That way she was able to watch the few channels she enjoyed without the difficulty of all the streaming services and data collection. Samsung, LG, and Sony are at the top of the tv brand heap currently with TCL, Hisense are more reasonably priced brands with good reputations.

https://cordcutting.com/devices/ota-tv/ Looks like ota tv is still a thing.

https://www.rtings.com/tv - the go to website for tv ratings and info.
Thanks. That's good to know. This is also for a senior citizen who has always been terrible at using any devices.

I see that Best Buy has an inexpensive non-smart TV but the reviews are not good. Probably will have to buy a smart TV and just not connect it to the WiFi.

The usage will most likely be just watching a DVD every now and then with me manning the DVD player, (until the library stops carrying them, should that happen), or maybe I'll plug a tablet into HDMI to stream from the library. Maybe OTA TV every now and then, but she's got a very old TV that still works for that.

I was able to buy myself a non-smart TV just before the pandemic, but I guess they've mostly been phased out now.

By your edit - The one I've posted will work fine with just the "rabbit ear" channels. I have ears connected for the rare times my internet goes out. But if you have internet (you obviously do!) the free streaming is not that hard to set up. It walks you through everything. I don't think anyone make an antenna only TV.

I have a Samsung, and I love it. Bought at Sam's Club 4 years ago. First looked at the brand because I have a Samsung VCR/DVD player-recorder that has been through the war and refuses to die. And an old 20" tube set that works fine, with the digital converter. Then I found the TVs come with free streaming called Samsung TV Plus. It's over 200 channels. A lot is the same ones on pay TV. Nothing premium, most have commercials. A few look like some kid in a basement is running them. A few seem to have a shoebox full of DVDs they play over and over. I deleted all the ones I don't like from my channel guide and still have maybe 75 that are worth seeing what's on. For free, I can't complain.

There is a screen that connects to everything you might be paying for, like HBO, Netflix and Paramount Plus.

I understand most other brands have streaming included as well, probably very similar to mine.

It will connect by, IIRC, four different cables, or Wi-Fi which is what I do.
Yep, she's got a super old TV working with the converter box. No HBO, Netflix, PP, or anything like that will be used.

Best Buy has an Insignia brand TV that is a non-smart TV, but reviews aren't good. Seems like we're pretty much forced to buy a smart TV these days, even if we'll never use the "smart" components. Glad I got mine just before the pandemic hit so I don't need to pay for a "smart" TV when all I need is a dumb TV. :)

I have a non-smart Samsung, and the brand has worked out well for me too.

FWIW, last I looked there were simple little DVD players for around $30. I've got one connected to my old Samsung tube TV in the bedroom.

FWIW, last I looked there were simple little DVD players for around $30. I've got one connected to my old Samsung tube TV in the bedroom.
Thanks. I've got the DVD player but now need something to connect it to. It's currently connected to a TV that works just fine but requires going down a long flight of stairs to get to.

This is for my mom. She is insisting that she can get down the stairs with my help, and I'm insisting that we shouldn't try. She'll be coming home in a few days. She ended up in the ER after a fall 4 weeks ago and I don't want a repeat of that. She wasn't even trying stairs at the time, though she had been feeling unwell, which is the main reason for that fall. But if I get something set up before she comes home, there won't be any need for her to even think about trying those stairs for now.

I tend to overthink things, and suspect that is what I'm doing with the TV purchase. I should just buy something, ignoring all the bad reviews, (which they all seem to have, a least at the lower end of the price range), and hope for the best, I guess.

Dumb TV's are good. The smart TV's are spying on you.
Anyway, I'm not sure what brands you get, yet I have an uber cheap FFalcon brand 24" TV that has been faultless for several years.
Model 24F1.
The 32" version does have a checkered reputation, yet the smaller model is faultless and a good picture. The sound is OK.

Thanks. I've got the DVD player but now need something to connect it to. It's currently connected to a TV that works just fine but requires going down a long flight of stairs to get to.

This is for my mom. She is insisting that she can get down the stairs with my help, and I'm insisting that we shouldn't try. She'll be coming home in a few days. She ended up in the ER after a fall 4 weeks ago and I don't want a repeat of that. She wasn't even trying stairs at the time, though she had been feeling unwell, which is the main reason for that fall. But if I get something set up before she comes home, there won't be any need for her to even think about trying those stairs for now.

I tend to overthink things, and suspect that is what I'm doing with the TV purchase. I should just buy something, ignoring all the bad reviews, (which they all seem to have, a least at the lower end of the price range), and hope for the best, I guess.
I know the feeling about over thinking a purchase. The tv we bought was around $400 usd and was big enough my mom could see it. We also had a simple universal remote (clicker) so she could turn the stations. We got used to "diners drive ins and dives" on from morning til' night. ;)
Pro tip: if you have tv cable ask your provider if they have big remotes for seniors.

I know the feeling about over thinking a purchase. The tv we bought was around $400 usd and was big enough my mom could see it. We also had a simple universal remote (clicker) so she could turn the stations. We got used to "diners drive ins and dives" on from morning til' night. ;)
Pro tip: if you have tv cable ask your provider if they have big remotes for seniors.
No cable, just OTA and DVD player.

Too bad there isn’t more of a market for non-smart TVs.

Dumb TV's are good. The smart TV's are spying on you.
Anyway, I'm not sure what brands you get, yet I have an uber cheap FFalcon brand 24" TV that has been faultless for several years.
Model 24F1.
The 32" version does have a checkered reputation, yet the smaller model is faultless and a good picture. The sound is OK.
I have a 32 inch non-smart TV that seems to be chugging along well. I didn’t know that there were problems with that size in particular.

The decision gets more complex now….

I went with the $85 non-smart TV. I got it set up, hooked up the DVD player, and it looks good enough to me. I didn't have time to mess with the settings yet, but suspect that I can make the picture quality a little better, too. The remote will be easy for my mom to use, (she is not into technology at all), and we can watch DVDs together until they all disappear from the world. Netflix is about to send out their last mailings of those, but the library still has them. And we can stream from the library by connecting a tablet, (which I already had), so we're good to go, I think.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I might make use of the suggestions for me. :) So far my TV is doing it's job, but you never know.

My mom bought a smart TV and pretty much doesn't use the smart aspect (although she does use it to connect to the interwebs so she can watch YouTube). She loves OTA and has purchased some pretty serious antennae so she can get more consistently reasonable reception to some of the slightly harder to get channels (yes, I am talking about you, PBS).

ETA - and you know, OTA isn't about free for us, because Mom does buy cable. It's about getting to watch the shows she wants to watch, which are a lot of the older (60's through 80's) shows. So that might be something worthwhile for your mom, too.

My mom bought a smart TV and pretty much doesn't use the smart aspect (although she does use it to connect to the interwebs so she can watch YouTube). She loves OTA and has purchased some pretty serious antennae so she can get more consistently reasonable reception to some of the slightly harder to get channels (yes, I am talking about you, PBS).

ETA - and you know, OTA isn't about free for us, because Mom does buy cable. It's about getting to watch the shows she wants to watch, which are a lot of the older (60's through 80's) shows. So that might be something worthwhile for your mom, too.
Sometimes my PBS doesn't come in with my amplified rabbit ears, and they don't pick up when my TV scans for channels. I have to enter the channel manually. The reception is iffy. So, I don't even try to watch PBS unless I somehow know of something that's coming on I'd like.

My older Sony 32"in suddenly sounds like an old tube TV with the sound going out. It blew me away.

Thanks for the thread. I'll have to read all of it! Seems like a complicated decision.

I hope the one you picked does the job!

(I can't stand TV with 1/3 of my time watching commercials anymore!)

My older Sony 32"in suddenly sounds like an old tube TV with the sound going out. It blew me away.

Thanks for the thread. I'll have to read all of it! Seems like a complicated decision.

I hope the one you picked does the job!

(I can't stand TV with 1/3 of my time watching commercials anymore!)
So far, the $85 non-smart TV seems to fit the purpose well.

When commercials come on, I hit mute and read. It’s even worse to be stuck with commercials if you’re paying for TV, IMO.

If my mom feels up to it, we’ll watch a DVD this weekend and give the new TV its first extended viewing, but from my playing around with it, I think it will be fine. Now I just have to convince the dogs that it’s OK that we’re changing their routine.

Top Bottom