Can new strings make a Martin 0XK concert sound brighter?

hendulele

Check your fleas
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello all. My 0XK (bought from Mim) is a wonderful everyday, most-weather uke. It has great projection in the low- and midranges. But it's missing some brightness at the top end. So I bought three sets of strings (Fremont Blacklines, Worth Clear Lights, and Martin Polyguts) to see if any of them were brighter than the Worth Brown Mediums that were on it. I have my thoughts, but I'd love to hear yours. I'm far from a great player, but I hoped to bring out more chime in the tone, like my C1K (which also makes a cameo). Thanks!

I know what you mean. I have the 0X Bamboo soprano. I will say that it enjoyable to play. It has a great feel and a well balanced sound. I know what you mean about tone, as it has a somewhat warmer midrange than you would find in a solid wood instrument. That is not a bad thing, but it is a slightly different voice, much like if one plays a flea. Trying to get it to sound exactly like a wood instrument could drive one crazy.

I think your assessment of the strings is a good one. I think the set I currently have on mine are Worth brown light. They sound and feel good.

I'm not a fan of Worth Browns. Like Martin M600 or Worth CM much better, especially if you want a bright clear sound.

I don't always like the browns, but in this case I sometimes found hard strumming would create a bit of an "edge" in the sound. The Worth brown's seem to temper that a little. (of course I reserve the right to completely change my opinion a week from now)

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Worth Browns. Like Martin M600 or Worth CM much better, especially if you want a bright clear sound.
It came with M600s, which I usually like. They didn’t ring out, either. The Browns were a little better. I imagine it’s the instrument and the build. I have a Famous/Kiwaya eco laminate. It’s light as a feather comparatively and much brighter than the Martin (even when you allow for the difference between soprano and concert scales).

I haven’t sprung for Living Waters. They may be next … after I play the crap out of these Worths!

I like the M600's the best on the OXK.

The Aquila Sugar strings might be worth trying.

The Aquila Sugar strings might be worth trying.
I wish I had a spare set around. I chose the Polyguts simply because Martin uses them on their other ukes, which of course are solid wood, etc. etc.

I like the M600's the best on the OXK.
All the (very helpful and appreciated) suggestions confirm that strings really are a matter of personal taste and playing style/skill, even on identical instruments!

It came with them. They didn’t have the right zing (and I like the basic Martins generally).
That's odd. I have about 100 Ukes with various string sets on them. The Martin fluorocarbons are the zingiest of the lot. I swear that they feel and sound more like steel strings than any other non-steel strings I've ever used. They are high tension, with a very crisp sounding attack, and have a lot of high overtone ring to them. To my ear, they sound great when playing guitar type stuff, like Travis picking, etc.

Many fluorocarbon string suppliers label their thinner/lower tension strings as "bright". Maybe it would help to pick such relatively thin strings. Otherwise right hand technique and where the strings are played relative to the bridge is probably the biggest factor to influence brightness.

If you haven't tried them, I'd give Oasis Brights a whirl. Nice flouro tone, but the C string isn't as fat and dominant, for a more balanced sound, IMO. Plus one pack provides 2 sets, and you can use them on sop, concert or tenor sizes.
Nice to know. I usually feel that the Martin C string is a bit boomy on soprano

That's odd. I have about 100 Ukes with various string sets on them. The Martin fluorocarbons are the zingiest of the lot. I swear that they feel and sound more like steel strings than any other non-steel strings I've ever used. They are high tension, with a very crisp sounding attack, and have a lot of high overtone ring to them. To my ear, they sound great when playing guitar type stuff, like Travis picking, etc.
I do very little finger picking, and recommend the Martins for players in our group who want an easy to find alternative to Aquilas.

Strings are personal!

Top Bottom