Can we say Aloha in Montana?

Putts

Reaction score
Hiya! Retired old dude here. Family and a business got in the way of really practicing Jazz on my uke, but I tinkered for 30 years. Now that I'm retired I can hit it full force...except I'm pathologically lazy so I had to find a way to force the issue. So, I started teaching beginners---best way to learn is to teach, so they say. I'd played classical guitar as a kid, spent some formal and informal time learning music theory, and YouTube can fill in a lot of blanks. (Matt Stead and Matt Dahlberg kinda gave me all I need to know to do a good job with beginners.) The pandemic sort of made shambles out of the uke community here so I figured we needed to start farming for new uke players. I teach beginners workshops at two local senior centers; did a series at one of the rural school's adult ed program; and start a beginner's lesson and jam session at the local mall. Gonna do more this fall at the local public libraries and more of the adult ed programs.

Got a bunch of ukes, but most are loaners. I tell beginners not to bother buying ukes before they come in for the lessons. I loan them a uke so they can see if it's something they want to stick with, and talk to them about which size and make would be best for them.

IMG-4991-M.jpg

Love the little Makala Sharks; they stay in tune amazingly well and are nice and loud. The Waterman on the other hand are dead sounding and quiet. I have two more loaners, but they're out getting played somewhere.

IMG-4990-M.jpg

I've got a Weber Hyalite Mandolin with uke tuning; very handy around a campfire to project and keep up with the guitars. And an Applause Soprano with fluorocarbon strings that's the loudest soprano I've ever heard.

IMG-4989-M.jpg

L to R: A cheapish Cordoba Tenor with Aquilla Reds and Fremont Soloist low G and a Lanikai tenor with high G Aquilla Sugar. These are the ukes I run around with for lessons. Next is a Godin Multiuke for when I need to amplify my stuff. I do a little song leading at the mall so I plug in there. And lastly, my absolutely lovely Kawika Tenor. drool It's currently out getting refretted...unbelievably, I have managed to wear down a bunch of frets over the years. It's at a really fine luthier who's going to radius the fretboard as well (16-20 inch, he's not quite sure yet.)

And here's me. Sorry about that.

IMG-4992-M.jpg

You're really into it, and I love that! Your ukulele obsession tee shirt didn't go unnoticed either. I've got a feeling about these things, and my feeling is you're gonna fit in here just fine. :)

The title of this thread sounds like a song that needs to be written!

Aloha! Sounds like you own the aloha spirit and state of mind.

welcome to the forum.

Cool story. I think you can say aloha in Montana but not ookulele.

You can say aloha anywhere! Nice collection, and it's nice to see a face with the name!

Welcome to UU, Putts!

Fabulous pics of your (loaner) ukes and that corner of your music room. I hope that some of your pupils/students catch the uke bug as seriously as you have!

Welcome to UU Putts and a big Aloha from Chicago! Quite an impressive first post, glad you found us.

Hi Putts, welcome to the UU Forum. What a great backstory. Thank you for teaching so many beginners.

Your inventory of ukes is very impressive.

And welcome to retirement.

Thanks for the kind comments, folks. It's a pleasure to finally start posting here. Don't know that I'll be prolific or anything, but I know I'll stick around...hell, I been lurking for years.

I just posted the teaching material I created for all the lessons I do over in the tips and tricks area. I'd love for you to take a look and tell me whether it's worthwhile material. You'll find it here.

Hiya! Retired old dude here. Family and a business got in the way of really practicing Jazz on my uke, but I tinkered for 30 years. Now that I'm retired I can hit it full force...except I'm pathologically lazy so I had to find a way to force the issue. So, I started teaching beginners---best way to learn is to teach, so they say. I'd played classical guitar as a kid, spent some formal and informal time learning music theory, and YouTube can fill in a lot of blanks. (Matt Stead and Matt Dahlberg kinda gave me all I need to know to do a good job with beginners.) The pandemic sort of made shambles out of the uke community here so I figured we needed to start farming for new uke players. I teach beginners workshops at two local senior centers; did a series at one of the rural school's adult ed program; and start a beginner's lesson and jam session at the local mall. Gonna do more this fall at the local public libraries and more of the adult ed programs.

Got a bunch of ukes, but most are loaners. I tell beginners not to bother buying ukes before they come in for the lessons. I loan them a uke so they can see if it's something they want to stick with, and talk to them about which size and make would be best for them.

IMG-4991-M.jpg

Love the little Makala Sharks; they stay in tune amazingly well and are nice and loud. The Waterman on the other hand are dead sounding and quiet. I have two more loaners, but they're out getting played somewhere.

IMG-4990-M.jpg

I've got a Weber Hyalite Mandolin with uke tuning; very handy around a campfire to project and keep up with the guitars. And an Applause Soprano with fluorocarbon strings that's the loudest soprano I've ever heard.

IMG-4989-M.jpg

L to R: A cheapish Cordoba Tenor with Aquilla Reds and Fremont Soloist low G and a Lanikai tenor with high G Aquilla Sugar. These are the ukes I run around with for lessons. Next is a Godin Multiuke for when I need to amplify my stuff. I do a little song leading at the mall so I plug in there. And lastly, my absolutely lovely Kawika Tenor. drool It's currently out getting refretted...unbelievably, I have managed to wear down a bunch of frets over the years. It's at a really fine luthier who's going to radius the fretboard as well (16-20 inch, he's not quite sure yet.)

IMG-4992-M.jpg
Wow! How generous of you to lend ukes to beginners. I can’t comment on the monetizing of your materials—others here will have some ideas. But it sounds like the learners in Montana have lucked out! Welcome to UU, @Putts!

PS: The shirt says it all.

How did I miss this thread?! Welcome to UU and I agree with what's already been said, I think you'll fit in great 😊.

Nice!

We bought 28 Kalas this year to support teaching about 50 forth and fifth graders how to play. I learned on a yellow shark myself. The quality is surprisingly good.

There is a secret section in the Kala website that only sells to educators, with amazing discounts and free shipping. Next time you need to purchase more, contact them and see if you can talk your way into accessing those discounts. We were able to get laminate KA-15 wood ukes for less than the cost of those sharks and dolphins!

IMG-4991-M.jpg

IMG-4990-M.jpg

IMG-4989-M.jpg

IMG-4992-M.jpg
Wow you have amazing talent and so happy and grateful that you are teaching! You are a walking encyclopedia of information!

Top Bottom