Can you play only on the fretboard?

Yeah, I reacted to this the same way as Rusty and Bill Sheehan. Perhaps her delivery of this message was done well, though? Looking for a positive here - maybe she was trying to be helpful. Anyway, in the fingerstyle guitar world, there are many talented folks who play this way, except they use their strumming/picking hand to play only on the fretboard. It's kinda cool at first, but after a minute, all I want is for a return to the use of two hands to play.

This interaction is so odd, though. She was forward/clueless enough to suggest that she could improve your performance, but declined to show you how. Gah! You must have given a great performance to elicit that kind of reaction. Also, I think people confuse buskers with amateurs. You clearly are not an amateur, from what I've read in these forums. And then, I think people also confuse amateurs with "not as good as professionals," which is also a misguided assumption.
Thank you for the recognition FM. I don't know how long she was watching me play, but I was fine tuning my multi-fx pedal during songs. Busking is productive way for me to experiment in a live setting before my actual gigs.

I've never really considered the relationship between buskers and professionals. But that makes sense.

I have seen people fill in notes with fretboard plucking, similar but a little more than hammer ons and pull offs. Never seen a whole song done exclusively on on the fretboard except by a one-armed player on FB.

A while back, I posted a video of a girl who velcroed a kalimba onto her guitar, and played the guitar with one hand and the kalimba with the other hand, in tandem. The video was taken at one of her large venue concerts. Now, before you think it's one of the same, the difference is she's not playing just the guitar. She's playing two instruments simultaneously, and playing them well.
I like the videos posted in this thread too. My favorite is the guy who's childhood stroke didn't get in the way of his desire to play guitar. His playing is great, and his demeanor is the best. I wish I knew him personally.

She was wearing black and she was visiting from France, haha

Cultural differences can surprise. Us Brit’s have much commonality with both other European countries and North America but a few trips abroad - or even to the extremes of our own country - shows how very different we can be too. We might never know whether her comments were completely genuine or something else, they have prompted an interesting discussion though.

Last edited:
Sounds like a load of old bollocks to me.

I’d happily show you how to do it, but you shouldn’t let other people play your instrument. Smokebomb!

What she didn’t tell you was that her name was Tony Levin, and uke may not be the best instrument for the technique.

There are so many techniques for guitar and ukulele out there, and what she mentioned isn't all that rare among guitar players.

It's like going up to a sushi chef at his/her restaurant and saying it would be great for the restaurant if they served hot dogs.

edit: One handed playing:

Amazing talent! I would think this style is more achievable on guitar than uke due to more sound out of longer scale length, bigger deeper body, and with steel strings. I wonder how they record such full sound from only neck playing on acoustic?

Nice man. I always wonder how well the sound picks up? Is that just an active preamp or mic'd up? I really can't imagine getting enough volume for stage that way with a basic set up
Bro that was just unplugged with my iPhone!!

Bro that was just unplugged with my iPhone!!

A case then of when a player does have the skills to warrant a really good instrument.

To me this thread has been an education in that this style of play on a Uke was pretty much unknown to me. I think a really good instrument is needed and it likely works much better on the bigger scales too.

(https://ukulelemagazine.com/gear-re...urability-and-beauty-from-a-natural-composite
Blackbird Farallon, tenor, price approaches $2000)

Thanks for sharing your video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom