Caramel Soprano Acacia Koa Ukulele Kit - review

bazmaz

Reaction score
One of my regular forays into the world of 'Amazon only' Ukuleles...

I'm all for affordable ukuleles, decent ones get new players hooked and help keep the ukulele community/economy vibrant.

Your reviews of the "big river" ukes are always enjoyable, interesting and important for folks that have few purchase options besides amazon for a first ukulele, or even folks just wanting to stick a toe into ukulele waters.

OTOH, I'll take the Singer cherry sunburst tenor to go, please.

cheers!

I'm all for affordable ukuleles, decent ones get new players hooked and help keep the ukulele community/economy vibrant.

Your reviews of the "big river" ukes are always enjoyable, interesting and important for folks that have few purchase options besides amazon for a first ukulele, or even folks just wanting to stick a toe into ukulele waters.

OTOH, I'll take the Singer cherry sunburst tenor to go, please.

cheers!
Thanks - this is easily beaten though, so don't think it's once of the decent ones. They do exist. Just in small number!

Barry, I wonder what you meant by "There is a touch of laminate echo ..." I didn't know that laminate echo was a thing. I only mention this because I've occasionally toyed with the notion of getting a uke with laminated back & sides but a solid spruce or cedar top. Is there an echo here because the entire body is a laminate, and a heavy laminate at that?

Thanks - this is easily beaten though, so don't think it's once of the decent ones. They do exist. Just in small number!
. . . and, as I will personally attest, luck of the draw plays a huge role. If I were to build another kit uke, I'd buy from Stewart MacDonald and not Big River.

Barry, I wonder what you meant by "There is a touch of laminate echo ..." I didn't know that laminate echo was a thing. I only mention this because I've occasionally toyed with the notion of getting a uke with laminated back & sides but a solid spruce or cedar top. Is there an echo here because the entire body is a laminate, and a heavy laminate at that?
I think there are great laminates (that sound almost indistinguishable from solid wood ukes - such as Kiwaya make) and also laminates that kind of 'sound laminate'. Putting aside the ultra thick $20 things - I find that comes through on the middle ground laminates, at least to my ears, as a 'boxy' or 'hollow' sound to the tone. I find a lot of these laminates have good sustain (and often hear people say they find their first steps into solid wood sound quieter') - but I think thats because it's easy to over drive a laminate body.

To my ears this isn't the worst example, but it's there - a kind of boxy, echoey element to the tone when played hard.

Not sure if there is any science to that- but it's how i've always described my perception of it. I think it might be because this is thick - not sure.

All I know is not all lams do it, and the higher end lams certainly don't.

Top Bottom