Caught out again

Timbuck

Reaction score
I've just had a uke returned cos the marker dots were 1mm off the centre line ... it's true I'm human....I can't let that happen again can I ? So I've made this drilling fixture so I can't go wrong In the future.... remind me to get a new pair of specs o_O

14166703-D4CA-454A-949D-8F5E559A1EA3 by Ken Timms

I've just had a uke returned cos the marker dots were 1mm off the centre line ... it's true I'm human....I can't let that happen again can I ? So I've made this drilling fixture so I can't go wrong In the future.... remind me to get a new pair of specs o_O

Ken- Not meaning to get into proprietary specifics, but can such an honest mistake be corrected short of changing out the entire neck?

Well, you are a better man than I would have been. 1mm off centre, on a fully handmade musical instrument? Some people should stop listening with their eyes.

(clever jig!)

1mm off? Horrible! I can arrange its disposal, will even cover the shipping. ;)

Add to your listings: "players with OCD, buy at your own risk"
I greatly respect Ken for owning up to such an honest mistake in this forum. Meaning no disrespect to Duckyl or EDW, it's entirely reasonable for anyone who's willing to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a handmade uke to insist on a detail as basic as the fret marker dots being precisely in line with the space between the 2nd and 3rd strings. The expectation of near-perfect acoustics, aesthetics and craftsmanship is, after all, the most basic reason for such a high end purchase.

I greatly respect Ken for owning up to such an honest mistake in this forum. Meaning no disrespect to Duckyl or EDW, it's entirely reasonable for anyone who's willing to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a handmade uke to insist on a detail as basic as the fret marker dots being precisely in line with the space between the 2nd and 3rd strings. The expectation of near-perfect acoustics, aesthetics and craftsmanship is, after all, the most basic reason for such a high end purchase.

I can relate to that perspective. For me the cost of Ken’s Ukes is a lot of money and part of the package is all round perfection. Yes it’s a hand made instrument and yes the purchaser is being picky but at the end of the day the customer is only wanting what he believes that he’s paid for and what he paid was (to me) a lot.

Good on Ken for taking it on the chin and working towards having a happy customer.

FWIW- I was joking. I will admit, that if I noticed it, it might drive me crazy. 🤪

My koa Timms has a flaw in the wood on the back plate at the neck block. It looks like a tear or an imperfection in the wood. As it’s under the block there are no structural issues at all. I cherish this instrument, it is so sweet sounding and with such clarity. I couldn’t be happier that it found its way to me.

I'm actually happy if the bits of my ukuleles are only 1mm away from where they should be.
Miguel

It's refreshing that Ken will take the time to fix something that goes out with his name on it. It shows integrity. There are guys out there who charge much more and wouldn't make the repair without a complaint. It's a hobby for him, but he sure does put out a great looking uke. I hope to play one some day.

I think the response should be, return that immediately, that one was for the Royal Coronation expressly ordered by his Majesty that way.

Top Bottom