charango acoustics?

pondweed

Reaction score
Seeing an old broken charango on ebay with its armadillo back, I wondered about the sound generally on these things. Has anyone cobbled together a decent ukulele player from one? Or tried? Plainly I wouldn't be destroying a decent instrument...

They are super-ukuleles, with extra strings and even an extra course. That does mean that the top is built quite sturdy, in order to cope with all that tension. Switching to just four string will make a very quiet instrument, with a broad neck. I've also learned that the armadillo backed charangos are usually tourist grade, and can even be quite smelly...

Jake Wildwood strung one as an 8 string ukulele

They are super-ukuleles, with extra strings and even an extra course. That does mean that the top is built quite sturdy, in order to cope with all that tension. Switching to just four string will make a very quiet instrument, with a broad neck. I've also learned that the armadillo backed charangos are usually tourist grade, and can even be quite smelly...
ha! You've successfully ended my new-founded interest! Nice playing from Jake W though.

ha! You've successfully ended my new-founded interest! Nice playing from Jake W though.
What about this ended your interest? Is it the tone, strings? You could string it on unison but as low G? It's an interesting scale length between soprano and concert.

If you don't mind my asking the what's or why's?

What about this ended your interest? Is it the tone, strings? You could string it on unison but as low G? It's an interesting scale length between soprano and concert.

If you don't mind my asking the what's or why's?
Absolutely. Don't really want the extra string complication, and I now realise it is overbuilt (for this) in comparison to a 4 string. But also the animal detail. I hadn't thought about the tourist grade bit, and that was the draw in the first place.... thinking it was a canny version of a bowlback.

Absolutely. Don't really want the extra string complication, and I now realise it is overbuilt (for this) in comparison to a 4 string. But also the animal detail. I hadn't thought about the tourist grade bit, and that was the draw in the first place.... thinking it was a canny version of a bowlback.
When I look at Charangos I look to the more modern ones without an animal or carving on the back. And I have considered buying one too, and stringing as an 8 string ukulele.

Top Bottom