Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

Oh, Amie, what have you done? :)
You've got a few committed folks, who are "in" already! I pledge my support, although I probably won't be "in" full-time, but I will participate.
Hey, are banjoleles also allowed (half joking, half not)?

Wow. I play this on the piano. I love it on banjos!! That's beautiful!

Honestly, I think playing classical music on non-traditional instruments is delightful, and if you want to bring banjo-esque sound to the table, make it happen R-man! I am open for a lot of options here. I mean, since we are on an ukulele forum, let's try to make sure there are some ukuleles in here somewhere, but I can be pursuaded.

I’m up for this. I’m planning on ukulele or
“( ) lele” myself.

I have a logjam of ideas that I have never shared or made time for. Thankfully I have regular life stuff to attend to that will keep me from flooding this space. 🙃 But I don’t imagine that I will ever run dry for things to share. 🙂

I gotta do this. I have a bunch of classical pieces I can choose from. Mostly arrangements from Jeff Peterson, Sam Muir, and Mustafa Kamallidin. I could also dip into Choan Galvez's repertoire, but a lot of his stuff isn't necessarily classical. Give me a day or so to pick something and throw a recording together. It won't be perfect...far from it...but it'll give me a goal to chase.

I could also dip into Choan Galvez's repertoire, but a lot of his stuff isn't necessarily classical.
Do it!! I love Choan's work, please do include something by Choan! It qualfies!
It won't be perfect...far from it...but it'll give me a goal to chase.
That's just fine. If you can tolerate having something imperfect out there (I do understand that not everyone can), I'd really appreciate hearing what you've got. I'm so glad that you'd like to join us, thank you!

This is the second mention of Mustafa Kamallidin on this thread; I've never heard of this person and in case someone else hasn't either, here you go for some inspiration:

OK, I just did this one. It's by this J.S. Bach guy...you may have heard of him before. :giggle: This arrangement is from Jeff Peterson's awesome book Graded Repertoire for Ukulele - Classical. I'm playing my Beansprout POC/Walnut Tenor with Low "G" strings.

I may try another one or two soon. I'm stuck in the basement since I tested positive for Covid, and have nothing better to do while I isolate. I'm feeling great, with no symptoms, but I don't want to risk spreading anything to my wife.

OK, I just did this one. It's by this J.S. Bach guy...you may have heard of him before. :giggle: This arrangement is from Jeff Peterson's awesome book Graded Repertoire for Ukulele - Classical. I'm playing my Beansprout POC/Walnut Tenor with Low "G" strings.

I may try another one or two soon. I'm stuck in the basement since I tested positive for Covid, and have nothing better to do while I isolate. I'm feeling great, with no symptoms, but I don't want to risk spreading anything to my wife.

Sounds good! I like that arrangement, too. I have not heard that piece just as a stand alone melody before, but it works really well! Great first choice!

And now for something completely different... :p

Andante, Op. 241, No. 2, Ferdinando Carulli. Arranged by Samantha (Sam) Muir. Played on my Jupiter Sycamore & Redwood Tenor (High "G") through a Yamaha THR5A amp with added reverb. Several flubs/tangled fingers in there but overall I kind of like it. A work in progress...

I'll be enjoying listening to the music that is posted.

I intended to play classical music in the early days when I was deciding what I could play on a ukulele, but somehow, I've veered off into very random directions instead.

@Larry U , hope you recover quickly from your bout with Covid.

I'll be enjoying listening to the music that is posted.

I intended to play classical music in the early days when I was deciding what I could play on a ukulele, but somehow, I've veered off into very random directions instead.

@Larry U , hope you recover quickly from your bout with Covid.
Thanks. So far, it's no worse than a very minor head cold. I'm testing again today and I hope it shows that I'm over it.

And now for something completely different... :p

Andante, Op. 241, No. 2, Ferdinando Carulli. Arranged by Samantha (Sam) Muir. Played on my Jupiter Sycamore & Redwood Tenor (High "G") through a Yamaha THR5A amp with added reverb. Several flubs/tangled fingers in there but overall I kind of like it. A work in progress...

I really enjoyed that! I have thought about that Yamaha amp for a while, but don’t have an instrument that plugs in right now. It’s like having your own portable cathedral to play in! Love how your Uke sounds through it.

I really enjoyed that! I have thought about that Yamaha amp for a while, but don’t have an instrument that plugs in right now. It’s like having your own portable cathedral to play in! Love how your Uke sounds through it.
It's pretty versatile with a lot of different effects. It's good for fooling around in my man cave but probably underpowered if you actually wanted to perform in public.

Oh, Amie, what have you done? :)
You've got a few committed folks, who are "in" already! I pledge my support, although I probably won't be "in" full-time, but I will participate.
Hey, are banjoleles also allowed (half joking, half not)?

Bach on banjos! Old Johann Sebastian would’ve gotten a huge kick out of this, I’ll betcha. Wonderful!

Top Bottom