Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

A little tip: if you tune your a string down to g on a low G Uke, you can play banjo tabs. Sometimes you have to compensate for the 5th string, but many banjo tabs use the 5th string of the banjo infrequently, or not at all. The 5th fret of the first string equals the open fifth string on the banjo.

Gceg is a legit historical Uke tuning, too.

Banjos are often DGBd, which is the same intervals. The tabs transfer over perfectly.

I’ll be posing eventually, but not right away. Too too bashful.

You are all terrific—fabulous thread, Amie. And I hope a permanent one. I was just musing a few days ago about how SOTU doesn’t leave a lot of wiggle room for a classical player to sneak in! No criticism of SOTU there! It is what it is (which is wonderful), but it’s chiefly popular music.

Edit: Also, the weekly “theme” format wouldn’t invite a lot of old music that’s known by catalog numbers & so on.

Last edited:
I’ll be posing eventually, but not right away. Too too bashful.

You are all terrific—fabulous thread, Amie. And I hope a permanent one. I was just musing a few days ago about how SOTU doesn’t leave a lot of wiggle room for a classical player to sneak in! No criticism of SOTU there! It is what it is (which is wonderful), but it’s chiefly popular music.
Do what I did...just record and post the audio. Much more comfortable for us stage-frightened folks!

OK, I just did this one. It's by this J.S. Bach guy...you may have heard of him before. :giggle: This arrangement is from Jeff Peterson's awesome book Graded Repertoire for Ukulele - Classical. I'm playing my Beansprout POC/Walnut Tenor with Low "G" strings.

I may try another one or two soon. I'm stuck in the basement since I tested positive for Covid, and have nothing better to do while I isolate. I'm feeling great, with no symptoms, but I don't want to risk spreading anything to my wife.

Sounds great! I've just started working on that one recently. I'll post a progress version, too. Won't be that polished!

And now for something completely different... :p

Andante, Op. 241, No. 2, Ferdinando Carulli. Arranged by Samantha (Sam) Muir. Played on my Jupiter Sycamore & Redwood Tenor (High "G") through a Yamaha THR5A amp with added reverb. Several flubs/tangled fingers in there but overall I kind of like it. A work in progress...

I really like the reverb, it totally sounds like playing in a cathedral!! This is beautiful (love the Jupiter!), thank you Larry for jumping right in there.

Here's a work in progress, newly arranged from the piano sheet music. The opening theme of Mozart's Sonata No. 11 In A Major - transposed to C. Thanks.

Wow! That is very ambitious (to my experience). Thank you so much for sharing. I look forward to hearing this again when you feel like you've got a little more past the current work in progress point.

Actually, I'm really looking forward to that for anyone who shares what they're working on, please consider revisiting that piece again in a while and sharing with us again!

A little tip: if you tune your a string down to g on a low G Uke, you can play banjo tabs.
Is that what you did with that Moon Over Ruined Castle piece that you'd played? Very cool!
You are all terrific—fabulous thread, Amie. And I hope a permanent one.
I couldn't agree more. I am delighted by the offerings and participation! This had been a total win and we've only just begun.

And now for something completely different... :p

Andante, Op. 241, No. 2, Ferdinando Carulli. Arranged by Samantha (Sam) Muir. Played on my Jupiter Sycamore & Redwood Tenor (High "G") through a Yamaha THR5A amp with added reverb. Several flubs/tangled fingers in there but overall I kind of like it. A work in progress...

Love this, Larry! I’m inspired to look up a Low G version and give it a try. You have a great touch.

Last edited:
Is that what you did with that Moon Over Ruined Castle piece that you'd played? Very cool!

I couldn't agree more. I am delighted by the offerings and participation! This had been a total win and we've only just begun.
Yes, those tabs are for Gceg or dgbd. The Machete is dgbd, an octave above a baritone. I am a half step below that, to be accurate. 🙂

Last edited:
Wow. I play this on the piano. I love it on banjos!! That's beautiful!

Honestly, I think playing classical music on non-traditional instruments is delightful, and if you want to bring banjo-esque sound to the table, make it happen R-man! I am open for a lot of options here. I mean, since we are on an ukulele forum, let's try to make sure there are some ukuleles in here somewhere, but I can be pursuaded.
It's been a challenging week to date. This piece brought tears of joy to my soul. Thank you!

It's been a challenging week to date. This piece brought tears of joy to my soul. Thank you!
I'm sorry that it's been a challenging week, but I am glad to hear that those beautifully played banjos perked you up a bit. Music can be pretty darned good that way.

A little tip: if you tune your a string down to g on a low G Uke, you can play banjo tabs. Sometimes you have to compensate for the 5th string, but many banjo tabs use the 5th string of the banjo infrequently, or not at all. The 5th fret of the first string equals the open fifth string on the banjo.

Gceg is a legit historical Uke tuning, too.

Banjos are often DGBd, which is the same intervals. The tabs transfer over perfectly.
You lives and learns, thank you.

I guess that fitting a low G to a Uke would free-up the ‘g’ string to be moved to the ‘a’ (first) string position. (Giving GCEg tuning, higher open tuning than the banjo but instep with its top four strings - spacing of fourth, major third, minor third.)

This might open up new tabs for people … where would be good places to look, and look for any and all types of music.

Last edited:
You lives and learns, thank you.

I guess that fitting a low G to a Uke would free-up the ‘g’ string to be moved to the ‘a’ (first) string position. (Giving GCEg tuning, higher open tuning than the banjo but instep with its top four strings - spacing of fourth, major third, minor third.)

This might open up new tabs for people … where would be good places to look, and look for any and all types of music.
If you Google a song title with banjo tab after it you might find stuff at the banjo hangout forum.🙂

Top Bottom