Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

My first try at a Sauli piece. I had started learning this on a 4 string ukulele, but I am wanting to focus on the 6 course Mandolino more, so I switched over to my Guitalele. I used Aquila high A guitar strings on it, and was able to get it up to B tuning. 6 course baroque Mandolino tuning is GBeadg, basically in the modern mandolin or violin range. I’m in the same intervals, but just lower in pitch.

Sauli’s partitas, according to the source I found, were intended for a 4 course instrument with the e up a half step to f. That was how I tabbed it at first, but I decided to try and play it on the Guitalele without raising the 4th string.

it works fine, but you can see a few spots were I got a bit lost. Near the end I hit a double stop a half step too low, and then shifted up and continued on to the end.

I did find a 6 course method on line, from 1840! By then the baroque Mandolino had evolved into the Lombardic or Milanese mandolin, a bowl back instrument with 6 single strings, played with a plectrum, in that same baroque tuning. I believe they were commonly in use in certain parts of Italy up to around 1900 or so.

this one needs more work, but in process is part of the learning process! Sorry for the road noise! Time has been scarce of late.

Bravo Tom! I love the use of the guitalele and the fact that it's recorded in your car is even more amazing, well done!

Hello dears,

Sauli rules ! For those interested, the great mandolinist Avi Avital just issued a live recital in which he played Sauli's 3rd partita with flair and virtuosity... Enjoy

Wow! That was glorious. Thanks so much for sharing. And what an outstanding instrument he's playing.

Hello dears,

Sauli rules ! For those interested, the great mandolinist Avi Avital just issued a live recital in which he played Sauli's 3rd partita with flair and virtuosity... Enjoy

Yes, that was amazing!

A great inspiration, as I seek to learn these pieces. I didn’t even know of Sauli until a few months ago. What a wonderful discovery!

Thanks for sharing this!

Here's a fun tune written by Mike Batt & Chris Spedding (The Wombles) and inspired by Mozart. I've arranged this in Low G and there's a link to the TAB in the video description at YT. I hope you enjoy this one, it's a great little tune!

A very lovely little tune that was beautifully played. Thanks for that.

Here's a fun tune written by Mike Batt & Chris Spedding (The Wombles) and inspired by Mozart. I've arranged this in Low G and there's a link to the TAB in the video description at YT. I hope you enjoy this one, it's a great little tune!

That is a very sweet tune! Thanks for sharing.

I was in Australia 2000/2001 are the Wombles still on the go?

Beautiful! Your performance and sound quality are wonderful! These recent pieces belong on iTunes!

I know we have SOTU for themed weekly challenges, but what I'm interested in playing rarely falls into that category (although it certainly can, just not usually within a week!!). I would like to invite members of our community who like to play classical or early music (or music inspired by those styles) on their ukulele(s) to share what they're working on.

Rules: anyone can join and you can post either just a sound file, or to a sound-file sharing site (like Soundcloud) or a video (any video, don't care if it's YouTube or Vimeo or what). The only condition is that the music needs to be classical or early music, or contemporary composers writing in/inspired by these styles (e.g. Sam Muir has many pieces that she's composed that would fall into this category, same with Choan Galvez).

Edit to add: any tuning! Baritone, tenor/concert/soprano, linear, reentrant, slack key, alternate tunings, whatever!!!

Also please don't let the perfect be the enemy of good. I would far sooner hear something of what you're working on than have you wait until it's perfect to post. Please share what you're working on, the lumps, bumps, awkward pauses and all. And then if you post the same piece again later, link to your original post so that we can hear and celebrate in your progress.

I've not done anything new specifically for this (hoping to get an opportunity to record something later this week), so just to get the ball rolling, here's something I'd posted earlier, an arrangement by our own Putter's Collection of Early Music for Low G Ukulele:

Reds - All in a Garden Green - Playford - arr. Putter.mp3
Wonderful initiative!

I'm a horrible player, so I'll have mere observer status until I can get something well-mastered. I appreciate the challenge!

I agree with @engravertom, both the performance and the recording are quite wonderful. It is amazingly difficult to play so effortlessly. Thank you and please post more.

Alan

Welcome!

Very simple pieces are appreciated also.

Do you play high g or low G? Both?

Looking forward to seeing what you bring!
I’ve got a very bright Moon Bird with a high G that needs warming up. A Low G string set is on the way, courtesy of the kind and efficient customer service dept at D’addario.

Ultimately, I’d like to have nice Low G set up and High G instrument so I can broaden the scope and access to Baroque and Classical.

I’ve got a very bright Moon Bird with a high G that needs warming up. A Low G string set is on the way, courtesy of the kind and efficient customer service dept at D’addario.

Ultimately, I’d like to have nice Low G set up and High G instrument so I can broaden the scope and access to Baroque and Classical.
So many, many Moon Bird fans here, Cliff. The MB sounds terrific in low G; I believe that’s what the designers had in mind. I’d love a Moon Bird concert.

That is a very sweet tune! Thanks for sharing.

I was in Australia 2000/2001 are the Wombles still on the go?
Thanks Amie! Hopefully you enjoyed your time in Australia, it was a very busy time here with the Olympics. The Wombles were a British group, they were the fictitious inhabitants of Wimbeldon Common, London, and were very popular in their time.

Top Bottom