Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

Thanks Amie! Hopefully you enjoyed your time in Australia, it was a very busy time here with the Olympics. The Wombles were a British group, they were the fictitious inhabitants of Wimbeldon Common, London, and were very popular in their time.
Oh I'm thinking of the Wiggles!! Lol whoops! Sorry for the mix-up!

Yes I really enjoyed Australia. Saw the Olympic torch relay three times as I made my way around (even have a photo of me holding it near Uluru!). Then I returned after the Olympics and lived in Brisbane, plus travelling, for the better part of a year. I'd always wanted to go to Australia because of the unique flora and fauna, and I was not disappointed! Amazing geology and gorgeous scenery too. Plus drive through beer stops, which kinda blew my mind 😂

Here is my arrangement of Greensleeves (16th century English folk song) for low G ukulele. If you find some odd sounding chords, that's my fault. 😀 I hope you still enjoy the result.

Gyönyörű! Nagyon szépen köszönöm. Laudetur!

Packed my coughing and spluttering daughter back home to London this afternoon (she’s actually a lot better 😊) and finally had a chance to record something for this lovely thread.
Chopin’s Nocturne op.9 No.2, one of my favourite pieces. I used to enjoy playing it on the piano, which isn’t to say anyone enjoyed listening to me playing it on the piano 🤣 Anyway, here it is on soprano ukulele. Definitely a WIP, I think I need to work on the phrasing and timing and ideally I’d like to commit it to memory.

(Recorded on my iPhone, so apologies for poor sound)

Brava!!

Wonderful initiative!

I'm a horrible player, so I'll have mere observer status until I can get something well-mastered. I appreciate the challenge!
Pretty sure the whole point of this thread is to encourage the less than polished sharing of what we're working on. No pressure. This is an invitation, not a demand. But please know that we are looking forward to hearing anything you'd like to share. I mean, I am also thoroughly enjoying the very skilled players who are sharing what they're working on, definitely keep that coming too! But I don't want people to feel intimidated, that regardless of their skill level, please feel encouraged to participate and share.

It won’t let me play these without downloading soundcloud and creating an account 😕 Don’t know if that’s a new thing but I haven’t had this problem before.
Maybe there has been an update un the meantime, but I am able to listen to the tracks on a Chromebook. I haven't tried from a phone, though. I'd suggest trying again from a laptop or similar.

My first try at a Sauli piece. I had started learning this on a 4 string ukulele, but I am wanting to focus on the 6 course Mandolino more, so I switched over to my Guitalele. I used Aquila high A guitar strings on it, and was able to get it up to B tuning. 6 course baroque Mandolino tuning is GBeadg, basically in the modern mandolin or violin range. I’m in the same intervals, but just lower in pitch.

Sauli’s partitas, according to the source I found, were intended for a 4 course instrument with the e up a half step to f. That was how I tabbed it at first, but I decided to try and play it on the Guitalele without raising the 4th string.

it works fine, but you can see a few spots were I got a bit lost. Near the end I hit a double stop a half step too low, and then shifted up and continued on to the end.

I did find a 6 course method on line, from 1840! By then the baroque Mandolino had evolved into the Lombardic or Milanese mandolin, a bowl back instrument with 6 single strings, played with a plectrum, in that same baroque tuning. I believe they were commonly in use in certain parts of Italy up to around 1900 or so.

this one needs more work, but in process is part of the learning process! Sorry for the road noise! Time has been scarce of late.

Thank you for sharing this with us. Beautifu!l And quite motivating for me as I'm just coming back to the use and want to focus on Baroque and classical.

Pretty sure the whole point of this thread is to encourage the less than polished sharing of what we're working on. No pressure. This is an invitation, not a demand. But please know that we are looking forward to hearing anything you'd like to share. I mean, I am also thoroughly enjoying the very skilled players who are sharing what they're working on, definitely keep that coming too! But I don't want people to feel intimidated, that regardless of their skill level, please feel encouraged to participate and share.
I am quite encouraged to learn and participate in the challenge - but I've never done finger style before, only strumming. So, this will require more than "polish".... And I won't subject my adoring fans in waiting to my puerile efforts just yet.

A fairly basic arrangement of Dunbury Castle from Playford vol 3 done for the latest SOTU season. I kept the accompanying lines very simple so I could still play it without my fingers getting tied up in knots.

Dunbury Castle. PFD3.119.jpg

A great tune, and really well played, Andrew. Thanks for sharing the tab with us. Looking forward to giving it a try!

Yes that was quite nice... that piece seemed very evocative of what I would imagine for castle-music back in the day.

Last edited:
A fairly basic arrangement of Dunbury Castle from Playford vol 3 done for the latest SOTU season. I kept the accompanying lines very simple so I could still play it without my fingers getting tied up in knots.

View attachment 171088

Well done! And tabs plus notation! Thanks for this, @acharman. You play beautifully.

Top Bottom