Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

New here (I’ve been lurking, but somehow hadn’t found this thread). Will catch up on 35 pages, but I’m delighted to see so many folks here! I got my first uke six months ago, strummed for three days, turned left at Bear Dance, and haven’t been seen since. I will record something soon, as it should encourage everyone else of any ability to post 🤣
Welcome!! It's so great to have you here and I'm delighted that you are of the "classical" tribe and have discovered our little corner of the ukuverse!

Welcome!! It's so great to have you here and I'm delighted that you are of the "classical" tribe and have discovered our little corner of the ukuverse!
It’s funny - as I violin player I qualify as “classical avoidant”, but a lot of the early and folk music I love seems to have ended up in the corner with classical in the world of ukulele. Glad to be here, and thank you for gathering us!

It’s funny - as I violin player I qualify as “classical avoidant”, but a lot of the early and folk music I love seems to have ended up in the corner with classical in the world of ukulele. Glad to be here, and thank you for gathering us!
Welcome aboard! I too have just been playing for a few months, and find the classical side of things most fascinating to explore.

Last night I met up with my friends here for our monthly jam session, playing everything from Cumbia rhythms to Linda Ronstadt to Marley/Beatles/ Dylan/Pink Floyd. We usually have about 4 singers, 3-4 guitars, and myself on the lone ukulele. <grin>
Last night one of the guitarists showed up with this thing— new to me called a Quartet. Tuned almost like a guitar except the high strings tuned to C and F rather than B and E. Was rather cool sounding! He let me try it out but I was of course way lost on any chord patterns.
1715466448009.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! I too have just been playing for a few months, and find the classical side of things most fascinating to explore.

Last night I met up with my friends here for our monthly jam session, playing everything from Cumbria rhythms to Linda Ronstadt to Marley/Beatles/Dylan/Pink Floyd. We usually have about 4 singers, 3-4 guitars, and myself on the lone ukulele. <grin>
Last night one of the guitarists showed up with this thing— new to me called a Quartet. Tuned almost like a guitar except the high strings tuned to C and F rather than B and E. Was rather cool sounding! He let me try it out but I was of course way lost on any chord patterns.
View attachment 173078
Cool! Is it steel strings and plectrum?

And it may be that I'm mis-remembering the name correctly. Quartet? Quattro? Cuatro? Anyway it was tuned all in fourths: A-D-G-C-F therefore the familiar guitar/uke chord pattern shapes do not apply...
It looks like a Puerto Rican Cuatro. I have not looked into that instrument yet. But 4ths tuning is familiar to me from dabbling in Baroque mandolino tuning. The tuning you show is one step down ( plus an octave ) from a 5 course baroque mandolino. You could play some Vivaldi on that!

It looks like a Puerto Rican Cuatro. I have not looked into that instrument yet. But 4ths tuning is familiar to me from dabbling in Baroque mandolino tuning. The tuning you show is one step down ( plus an octave ) from a 5 course baroque mandolino. You could play some Vivaldi on that!
Tom, I had a sneaking hunch you might know something about this one. Yeah, I recall it's owner saying something about it being the guitar of Puerto Rico now that you mention it. It was a unique sounding instrument by itself, though it tended to get a bit lost with the three other guitars (+ a uke...) playing. I managed to pluck out a few simple melodies on it but was all lost when it came to strumming. I only had a short time to mess with it, and honestly it wasn't very perfectly tuned either but it sure was fun to check it out and I hope he brings it back again next time. Sounds like he acquired it in somewhat less-than-perfect shape so he's been working at bring it back to life.

Tom, I had a sneaking hunch you might know something about this one. Yeah, I recall it's owner saying something about it being the guitar of Puerto Rico now that you mention it. It was a unique sounding instrument by itself, though it tended to get a bit lost with the three other guitars (+ a uke...) playing. I managed to pluck out a few simple melodies on it but was all lost when it came to strumming. I only had a short time to mess with it, and honestly it wasn't very perfectly tuned either but it sure was fun to check it out and I hope he brings it back again next time. Sounds like he acquired it in somewhat less-than-perfect shape so he's been working at bring it back to life.
Some chords, in case you get another opportunity. 🙂

I’m about halfway through the thread and listening to all your wonderful tunes. It’s clear someone has to set the beginner bar here, so let me cheerfully do that!

This is Open Dance, from Sam Muir’s 12 Progressive Studies book. I’m getting fairly comfortable with this one, but working on speeding it up now, and sometimes my fingers lose the plot. You can hear my autistic duet partner singing in the background.
View attachment Open Dance.m4a

Second is a snippet of a more challenging piece I just started working on yesterday (told you, cheerfully setting the low bar!). This is a tune that does one of my favorite things - it sounds awesome at its intended speed, and also when played waaaay more slowly. It’s Der Haupff Auff, from Tony Mizen’s Lute to Uke book, and he plays it at about 160bpm. I’ll be thrilled to play it well at 70bpm, but I think it sounds really nice at that speed!
View attachment Der Haupff Auff.m4a

(Recorded with voice memo on my phone, and with new strings that are still pretty muted, so this isn’t showing off Canto’s pretty voice very well!)

Last edited:
I’m about halfway through the thread and listening to all your wonderful tunes. It’s clear someone has to set the beginner bar here, so let me cheerfully do that!

This is Open Dance, from Sam Muir’s 12 Progressive Studies book. I’m getting fairly comfortable with this one, but working on speeding it up now, and sometimes my fingers lose the plot. You can hear my autistic duet partner singing in the background.
View attachment 173174

Second is a snippet of a more challenging piece I just started working on yesterday (told you, cheerfully setting the low bar!). This is a tune that does one of my favorite things - it sounds awesome at its intended speed, and also when played waaaay more slowly. It’s Der Haupff Auff, from Tony Mizen’s Lute to Uke book, and he plays it at about 160bpm. I’ll be thrilled to play it well at 70bpm, but I think it sounds really nice at that speed!
View attachment 173175

(Recorded with voice memo on my phone, and with new strings that are still pretty muted, so this isn’t showing off Canto’s pretty voice very well!)
These are fabulous, Debora! Thanks so much for sharing these lovely tunes, very well done!

View attachment 173174

View attachment 173175

Excellent start!! Well done and I'm so delighted that you have joined our challenge! I remember that I took a LOOOOONG time to get Open Dance to sound even close to what you've achieved so well done! I will have to look for that Lute to Uke book, too!

In case you haven't been overloaded with books, I highly recommend Daniel Ward's Arpeggio Meditations. Excellent exercises that help with skill development, can be played reentrant as written or bari or linear as tabbed.

This piece is so beautifully played here. Anyone knows what uke he is playing?

This is from way earlier in the thread, but in case anyone is still curious, the player notes in another video that his uke is a custom tenor from here https://yongensya.com/

These are fabulous, Debora! Thanks so much for sharing these lovely tunes, very well done!
Thank you :). They’re my first baby steps, but gosh they sound better on a uke than baby steps on a violin!
In case you haven't been overloaded with books, I highly recommend Daniel Ward's Arpeggio Meditations. Excellent exercises that help with skill development, can be played reentrant as written or bari or linear as tabbed.
lol - it arrived four days ago. I love the meditative aspect of looping arpeggios, and it looks like it will be a good next step (I’m about halfway done a first pass through Sam Muir’s arpeggio book).

Top Bottom