Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

You're explaining it very well. I'm making an attempt to use almost all/most of Jeff P's recommended fingerings, which struck me as doing exactly what you're saying. And it feels like I'm also intuit the notes on the fret board much better. I'm working on overcoming having played guitar (ever since trying to learn all the Beatles songs in '65), the brain is still adjusting to ukulele tuning 'transposition'. It tends mess me up a lot!
Lol I was struggling with violin transposition for about 6 months of my ukulele efforts. Now I'm struggling with ukulele transposition trying to learn guitar 🙃

Here is an Elizabethan lute piece by composer/lutanist Thomas Robinson, a contemporary of John Dowland.
I was having trouble playing it solo, so I made a virtue out of necessity and split the parts into two. I like the sound of the ukulele on these early pieces, it seems to capture the mood quite well.

That was beautiful! I'm with modwitch, I really want to try to record some multi-part pieces but I'm not quite there yet.

Here is an Elizabethan lute piece by composer/lutanist Thomas Robinson, a contemporary of John Dowland.
I was having trouble playing it solo, so I made a virtue out of necessity and split the parts into two. I like the sound of the ukulele on these early pieces, it seems to capture the mood quite well.

I really love this one, Laurence! And fully agree with the other comments about the split screen effect, it looks fantastic!

Lol I was struggling with violin transposition for about 6 months of my ukulele efforts. Now I'm struggling with ukulele transposition trying to learn guitar 🙃
What kind of guitar? 🙂

My brain would murder me dead if I tried a third kind of transposition right now. You’re a brave human.

That was beautiful! I'm with modwitch, I really want to try to record some multi-part pieces but I'm not quite there yet.
Dang it my multi-quote broke. Is there a thread somewhere explaining how to do this? I use the acapella app for singing, but there’s too much lag going on for instrumentals. And it occurs to me that my new uke has a pickup and possibly this is useful.

Dang it my multi-quote broke. Is there a thread somewhere explaining how to do this? I use the acapella app for singing, but there’s too much lag going on for instrumentals. And it occurs to me that my new uke has a pickup and possibly this is useful.
I use this app for the multiple video frames.

I record one audio track separately, then use that audio to record the other video and audio tracks. I use an audio and visual count in of 8 clicks for the first video. Then I use 4 for the other videos. They all start after the first 4 beats of the first audio.

Maybe I can do a tutorial someday!

I use this app for the multiple video frames.

I record one audio track separately, then use that audio to record the other video and audio tracks. I use an audio and visual count in of 8 clicks for the first video. Then I use 4 for the other videos. They all start after the first 4 beats of the first audio.

Maybe I can do a tutorial someday!
Thanks, I will play. That’s the same thing I do for singing parts in a capella. Are you recording with a mic or…? I should probably just try it. Uke might work more like singing does. Recording violin is a whole ‘nother problem, including not being able to hear the second part while you play 🤪.

Thanks, I will play. That’s the same thing I do for singing parts in a capella. Are you recording with a mic or…? I should probably just try it. Uke might work more like singing does. Recording violin is a whole ‘nother problem, including not being able to hear the second part while you play 🤪.
I do record with a mic, or direct in through an interface if the instrument has a pickup. I use headphones to listen to previous tracks as I record subsequent tracks.

Thank you! I just tried a really quick effort with the app I use for singing, and it looks like it will be okay for uke as well. Same deal, use earbuds. That’s a disaster on violin, but it looks like it will work here. Fun ahead 😁.

(Adding - sorry, I’m derailing all the threads today. But this is relevant to how a novice can do more classical music. Splitting it into parts is awesome. I’m trying it right now with a piece I can’t manage).

OMG this is FANTASTIC!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I love your "snare" drums.
Thank you! You are very kind!

This one has 3 separate snare drum tracks, recorded on an electronic drum kit I no longer have. The drone effect was a track featuring one note from the Uke played rapidly through the whole piece, then reverbed and delayed to death.

This was for the seasons a few years ago. Drums are my main instrument, but I hardly play anymore.

No video footage, just slides. I hadn’t figured out synching video at this point.

I do love the pipe band style of snare drumming, though!

A soprano longneck is not quite the same as a set of pipes, however. 🙂

Top Bottom