Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

Thank you! You are very kind!

This one has 3 separate snare drum tracks, recorded on an electronic drum kit I no longer have. The drone effect was a track featuring one note from the Uke played rapidly through the whole piece, then reverbed and delayed to death.

This was for the seasons a few years ago. Drums are my main instrument, but I hardly play anymore.

No video footage, just slides. I hadn’t figured out synching video at this point.

I do love the pipe band style of snare drumming, though!

A soprano longneck is not quite the same as a set of pipes, however. 🙂

Gorgeous, Tom. How did you manage to create the effect of a drone (if that’s the right term) in the background?

Here is an Elizabethan lute piece by composer/lutanist Thomas Robinson, a contemporary of John Dowland.
I was having trouble playing it solo, so I made a virtue out of necessity and split the parts into two. I like the sound of the ukulele on these early pieces, it seems to capture the mood quite well.

This blows me away, Laurence. So beautiful, and so cleverly synchronized. Bravo!

Last edited:
Gorgeous, Tom. How did you manage to create the effect of a drone (if that’s the right term) in the background?
I just played a single note in a fast triplet feel through the whole song in a separate track. I then added compression, lots of reverb, and a ton of delay. Then I may have duplicated the drone track and offset it a tiny bit in the timeline. I will have to go back and see if I can decipher what I did. I hope I still have the project somewhere.

Thanks for listening!

A study by Dionisio Aguado, arranged for high g ukulele.

Ooooh, I really like that Aguado study, Tom. (I’m a sucker for anything written in the key of D minor.) Thanks for the tab!

Aloha Folks!

It’s been a while, actually three months, since my last post. Thanks for all the likes from you guys, and please excuse me for not replying everyone in time. Work schedule has been fairly busy for me.

That said, I have been learning and practicing this song since January though. Recorded it just now, well, in a bit of a rush. Tab is from a local player here, Kilu, who teaches ukulele online, and it’s beautifully arranged. Here comes my playing, Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence.

Cheers,
Jean

Dang! I’ve been waiting for YouTube to upload for more than an hour.
Finally…

BE9CE43B-5BF2-4989-9A6E-C022F8D7B5B2.jpeg

7D113A18-0D7C-4EDB-BADE-F6BA5B73A0D9.jpeg
06066403-DDF6-4DEC-878C-1965BAC6637E.jpeg
F390736F-0C62-4E3D-BC5F-DEACF073173C.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's a nice piece written by Francisco Tarrega (1852 - 1909) a well known Spanish Composer and guitar player from the Romantic period.
This prelude is just one, of many, beautiful pieces composed by Tarrega.

Wow! beaut stuff Campbell! I love the compositions of that era of guitar. You really have to ratchet back on demo-ing these great sounding ukes though - I can't afford it!

Aloha Folks!

It’s been a while, actually three months, since my last post. Thanks for all the likes from you guys, and please excuse me for not replying everyone in time. Work schedule has been fairly busy for me.

That said, I have been learning and practicing this song since January though. Recorded it just now, well, in a bit of a rush. Tab is from a local player here, Kilu, who teaches ukulele online, and it’s beautifully arranged. Here comes my playing, Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence.

Cheers,
Jean

Dang! I’ve been waiting for YouTube to upload for more than an hour.
Finally…

View attachment 174235

View attachment 174236
View attachment 174237
View attachment 174238

Wow! That was great! I loved that movie, and your performance was captivating also! Really enjoyed it!

Wow! beaut stuff Campbell! I love the compositions of that era of guitar. You really have to ratchet back on demo-ing these great sounding ukes though - I can't afford it!
lol right? I keep going back to listen to the sound samples in the listing for the tenor he has for sale, and then this convo happens inside my head:

“It’s a tenor. Your hands don’t do that. They will hurt and that is bad.”
“But it has a 35mm nut and that will help and also his soprano I bought is perfection and it’s a great strategy as a beginner to buy from a player who plays what I want to play. This must be a fantastic fingerstyle instrument.”
“All true. Doesn’t matter. It’s too big. Your hands will hurt.”
“<small voice> the blackwood is really pretty.”
“YOUR HANDS WILL HURT.”

🤣🤣🤣

A new instrumental piece. I might be able to record it tomorrow. The fruit of all of your kind encouraging words!

It’s got bells. And Italian. I couldn’t resist. (Except for the sixteenth notes at the end. Tom will have to show how those are done 🤣). Il Coro Della Compane by Tom McArdle, reckless novice edition, with autistic duet partner.
View attachment Tom’s Bells.m4a

Top Bottom