Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

That was lovely, Timm! And @engravertom, as a composer, you must get such a thrill hearing your stuff being performed so beautifully by so many of your fans! 👏👏 👏

(PS: Tom, I’d love to have the low G version you arranged for David Goldberg.)
Yes, it is very rewarding! It motivates me to keep writing and arranging!

Here you are!

😀

Well Tom, I liked hearing your piece so much I had to also give it a try. After playing so many exercises lately in the key of F, it was refreshing to try something new in A.
So... I challenged myself to see if I could learn and get through it all in one single session this morning. It's not terribly polished, sounds rather tentative in spots and I have to admit there is an edit between the first half and the second half where I fumble fingered it, but here's what I came up with after practicing it hard for a couple of hours (the fingers are now sore!) .
Thanks for sharing your score.

View attachment 175630
Sounds wonderful!! Gentle and soothing. Tom’s bells are spreading 💖

Well Tom, I liked hearing your piece so much I had to also give it a try. After playing so many exercises lately in the key of F, it was refreshing to try something new in A.
So... I challenged myself to see if I could learn and get through it all in one single session this morning. It's not terribly polished, sounds rather tentative in spots and I have to admit there is an edit between the first half and the second half where I fumble fingered it, but here's what I came up with after practicing it hard for a couple of hours (the fingers are now sore!) .
Thanks for sharing your score.

View attachment 175630
That sounds great!!! Thanks for recording it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Help from the arranger folks? This is part of Music Box Melody, one of Daniel Ward’s arpeggio meditations. I need an alternative to the two bars of D7 bar chording. I can do the first bar with usual D fingering + pinky, but that won’t work for the next bar. This isn’t a “practice and you’ll get it” issue (which is the case for the terrifying chord at the end of that line 🤣), it’s a case of Debora needs to not apply that kind of stress to the ligaments of her left hand. Ideas? Melody is traveling on the A string, so those notes are the most important to retain. I just need something underneath them that sounds nice, and I can’t figure something out. I could just take out those two lines, but then I wouldn’t get to practice the terrifying chord at the end of the line 😁.
IMG_0015.jpeg

Help from the arranger folks? This is part of Music Box Melody, one of Daniel Ward’s arpeggio meditations. I need an alternative to the two bars of D7 bar chording. I can do the first bar with usual D fingering + pinky, but that won’t work for the next bar. This isn’t a “practice and you’ll get it” issue (which is the case for the terrifying chord at the end of that line 🤣), it’s a case of Debora needs to not apply that kind of stress to the ligaments of her left hand. Ideas? Melody is traveling on the A string, so those notes are the most important to retain. I just need something underneath them that sounds nice, and I can’t figure something out. I could just take out those two lines, but then I wouldn’t get to practice the terrifying chord at the end of the line 😁.
View attachment 175657
If no one else gets to it I will look at it tonight.

One hint. If you try notes up the neck on strings 2-4, you can leave the open a to replace the 2nd fret on the g string.

Not sure yet if it will work. That’s the approach I might look at first.

If no one else gets to it I will look at it tonight.

One hint. If you try notes up the neck on strings 2-4, you can leave the open a to replace the 2nd fret on the g string.

Not sure yet if it will work. That’s the approach I might look at first.
Thanks Tom! The A string is sadly doing melody things, so it’s not available. Oh wait, you mean move the melody? I didn’t try that. I’m also in the library and ukeless now, but will contemplate when I get home.

I got as far as it might make sense to drop the bottom D, it’s the problematic note as far as stretches and alternatives go, since there’s only one place to play it. I’m fine with altering the arpeggio pattern, or anything else someone can figure. I’m guessing there’s a different chord base that might sound okay here, but I’m still in preschool music theory in terms of understanding chords!

Last edited:
Yes, move the melody to the g string, two frets up. Or it may need to go the e string.

This is one reason why reentrant tuning is our friend!
Thanks, this is a new direction to head. I was trying to move everything but the melody, and that wasn’t working! I appreciate the help :)

Wow, thank you so much, @Camsuke and @engravertom!! I will try all the options you’ve come up with - this is as much about the learning as the eventual playing (I will likely be doing lots of alternatives to bar chords in future, too). Thank you for taking the time to do this, it really is appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom