Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

Had a very fun afternoon exploring the options Tom and Cam came up with for me to avoid extreme barre chords. It was great learning for me to see just how many options there were. Tom, your first three, moving the melody to the G string, all cause me the same beginner challenge of not accidentally muting the A string, but they all work. I like the last one quite a bit. Then I got to this beauty:
Or, you could slide down from the F# to the D, depending on the tempo.

View attachment 175665
🤣🤣😂🤪😈😵‍💫😆🤣😂
I am naming this composition “Modwitch’s Drunken Slide”. It’s fun and hilarious and I’m absolutely terrible and you should all try it 😁
Here's another variation that might suit.

View attachment 175674
This works, and keeps the melody on A, which is easier for my brain. And then I laughed when I realized Cam’s best trick was just leaving out a note. If I leave out that same A note at the beginning of the second bar, I can actually play the rest of it as originally written. Stretching second fret to fifth is doable for me, it was the barre at the second that was a step too far. But I actually like Cam’s version better because it gets that A back in there as the second note.

Anyhow. This piece is now within my reach, I think, although it’s going to take some work. Worth it though, it’s really lovely. Thank you!!!!

J.S. Bach - Jesu, Joy of man's desiring (arr. John King)
on "Bucket", my Scarabée Elite soprano by Caravelle Kitchen

Yesterday I managed to get all the right notes in the right order during a live stream on TikTok so I came here to celebrate that milestone with you guys since nobody cares about classical ukulele over there 😅
View attachment Copy 1327Cad1-6027-48C4-A989-63B08fa3f091.mp4

Yesterday I managed to get all the right notes in the right order during a live stream on TikTok so I came here to celebrate that milestone with you guys since nobody cares about classical ukulele over there 😅
View attachment 175788
Fabulous! And your uke really shines here—those lovely sustains that keep the choir singing.

That was amazing! The tone you were getting in some of the fast passages…. My very fave part was about 2/3 of the way through when you looked up at the camera. “Nailing this, I sure hope that thing’s recording!” (I don’t have any idea what you were actually thinking, but that was my narration in the moment, and it made me laugh).

PS love that your ukulele is named Bucket!

Last edited:
That was amazing! The tone you were getting in some of the fast passages…. My very fave part was about 2/3 of the way through when you looked up at the camera. “Nailing this, I sure hope that thing’s recording!” (I don’t have any idea what you were actually thinking, but that was my narration in the moment, and it made me laugh).

PS love that your ukulele is named Bucket!

At that part of the piece I'm back at first position for a few bars so I looked at the camera to check my spectator count, which was zero, so reassured I carried on 😁

It's called "Bucket" because it's my third Scarabée made by Matthieu and I didn't just want to call it "the elite", it sounded wrong. So I begged Matthieu for a real name. He wanted to have it chicken-related so we agreed on "Bucket" 😄 Nice fit for a big-bodied hollow and very light soprano.

View attachment 175788
Oh my goodness! That was delightful, thank you for sharing!! Hey, if you're ever inspired to attempt this on one of your harp ukuleles, please share here, I wanna listen!! Any time you wish to share here, welcome! It's great to have you join us (we care about classical ukulele :love:)

Thank you folks ☺️
Oh my goodness! That was delightful, thank you for sharing!! Hey, if you're ever inspired to attempt this on one of your harp ukuleles, please share here, I wanna listen!! Any time you wish to share here, welcome! It's great to have you join us (we care about classical ukulele :love:)
Thanks! This one on a HarpUke would definitely be too much a challenge for me. But I'll scout for a piece I could hypothetically arrange for the HarpUke. That's a good idea.
I had to go back and listen again today, just to watch your incredible finger work on both right and left hands. Bravo!

Give us more!
Thank you :D I can do much better. When I see Sam Muir's rendition of this piece, the way her fingers fly across the fretboard seemingly without touching any fret I know I have so much room to improve.

Top Bottom