Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

Love this thread, thanks Amie.
I thought about playing one of the most famous pieces of the classical guitar repertoire, on the ukulele.
The song is by Narciso Yepes and is titled Jeux Interdits.
Even though I used the low G strings, I still feel the lack of bass but I think that in the end the result is pleasant.
I would then like to know your impressions please 😊
Thanks, greetings everyone

View attachment 165096
Wow, that was really impressive, @HaleAle! So gorgeous.

OK, you've inspired me to play the home version of this game, (i.e. I won't be posting anything and will save your ears from harm, LOL), and decided to learn this one:

Yes!! This is the exact one I was thinking of as well. It's probably going to take me about forever, but I'll call it a stretch goal. I've downloaded the tabs, so step one of many is complete!! Let's get ittttttt!!!! 💪🏽

In the meantime, here's one I learned in 2021, have since forgotten, and am slowly re-learning now. So many songs and so little time!! (Note... the Blackbird Clara may do fine in the snow, but my freezing hands don't!!!)

#GymnopedieNo1

Last edited:
You guys are all wonderful, I LOVE hearing these classical pieces played on uke (and banjolele!).

I’ve narrowed my flitting down to a couple of favourites, but one of my daughters is currently back at home with suspected pneumonia so I don’t know when I’ll get a chance to record something.

However, I’m very much enjoying listening to everyone else’s contributions, this thread is a little oasis of positivity and peace for me right now 😍

Here is my arrangement of Greensleeves (16th century English folk song) for low G ukulele.
If you find some odd sounding chords, that's my fault. 😀 I hope you still enjoy the result.
Thanks for posting that and sharing your skill.

This is a general comment which I hope does not offend anyone, but when folk make a mistake or post something with an error in it the imperfections actually give me encouragement. Why would I say such a strange and potentially rude thing? Well, very few of us will ever play like a professional and many folk feel a little too shy and embarrassed to share what we can do. I’ve been playing instruments for many years; playing gives me pleasure, making music puts joy into the maker’s life. However, if I hadn’t realised - or decided - that it was OK to make mistakes and to not sound that good then I’d have given up.

Please, please folks bring on the music that you can make and let’s celebrate music making as made by ordinary folk who are just doing their best regardless of imperfection 👍. Some folk listen to records and note the imperfections in the hi-fi system, others ignore the crackles and the other imperfections and hear (past then to) the music. Let’s be folk who ignore the crackles and who (instead) listen to the music 🙂.

Last edited:
OK, you've inspired me to play the home version of this game, (i.e. I won't be posting anything and will save your ears from harm, LOL), and decided to learn this one:

Some time ago I recorded my own version of this beautiful song.
I admit that I took the first part from Corey Fujimoto's recording because I really found it wonderful 😅 then I changed the rest.
As soon as I can I'll try to look for it and maybe I'll let you listen to it.
Please just avoid comparisons😂🙏
Bye everyone

You do realize we're posting our own works in progress, right?

Yup, @Joyful Uke does - and has indicated that this one is staying at home (FOR NOW!... maybe we can encourage a posting eventually, when we've all demonstrated a bunch of work in progress that is ahem, less than polished).

@Renaissance-Man that was great on the banjolele! Thank you for sharing. (now I want a banjolele... sigh)

decided to learn this one:
I've downloaded the tabs, so step one of many is complete!!

Do either of you (or anyone else) have a recommended/suggested source for tabs for Canon in D?

In the meantime, here's one I learned in 2021, have since forgotten, and am slowly re-learning now. So many songs and so little time!! (Note... the Blackbird Clara may do fine in the snow, but my freezing hands don't!!!)

That was beautiful (cold hands and all - boy do I know that symptom, my hands are often cold when I go to my music lesson, and that always makes for a frustrating lack of fluidity, which is always hampered by just playing in front of someone not my family who barely pay attention to me, lol). I look forward to when you've re-learned it again so we can hear another version (maybe even on another one of your lovely instruments - that scroll-able Instagram post was brilliant!).

I’ve narrowed my flitting down to a couple of favourites, but one of my daughters is currently back at home with suspected pneumonia so I don’t know when I’ll get a chance to record something.

I'm sorry she's sick, I hope that she's better soon. I've not even had taken a moment to pick up my ukulele this week since my lesson on Tuesday, so yeah, I hear ya!

Please, please folks bring on the music that you can make and let’s celebrate music making as made by ordinary folk who are just doing their best regardless of imperfection 👍

YES!! Exactly! Very well put, Graham, and your post nails it, exactly my feeling about this. I am so, so pleased with how many people have been brave enough to share their work, whether it was as polished as it's ever likely to be, or just a beginning.

As soon as I can I'll try to look for it and maybe I'll let you listen to it.
Please just avoid comparisons😂🙏

Nope - no comparisons (especially not to Corey!). We are allowed to compare between our own recordings (i.e. if someone posts something now, then the same something a few months from now) so that we can appreciate the subtle (or maybe gestalt-like) differences in the performance. But other than recognizing that we each play differently from each other, let's leave the comparisons out of the picture, even if we play exactly the same piece.

This is an all skills performance allowed and encouraged kinda thread. Don't feel you have to pick something complex or difficult to share or that you have to be Corey-like to post here. Simple is just fine. Imperfect is encouraged. Sharing something simple, played slowly and carefully, with the best effort that you are able to perform at, is much better shared than sitting in your own space not shared. This has become such a wonderful thread!

Nice!

Just a note about this arrangement. It's Low "G" (aka linear tuning). If you try it on reentrant, High "G" tuning, it's gonna sound weird.
Perhaps it will sound “experimental”. 🙃😉

Interesting that in baroque guitar music, sometimes there were apparently sudden octave leaps in the melodic phrases. A reentrant guitar sometimes runs out of real estate, just like reentrant ukes do.

Of course even linear instruments run out of real estate. Folks who try to play baroque lute music on a 6 (or even 8 or 10!) string guitar find that out, as well.

I think I will give that a try on a reentrant Uke, and see what happens! Thanks for sharing the tab!

"You do realize we're posting our own works in progress, right?"

So far, you can have the sound of me listening to Corey's version and printing off the tab. Makes for a pretty boring post. ;)

I don't have recording equipment and don't have the interest in spending the time and money to accomplish that. (No, I don't have a smart phone either.)

That would really just add stress to what is a fun hobby.

Unrelated to the above, but I want to wish @TBB's daughter a speedy recovery.

Do either of you (or anyone else) have a recommended/suggested source for tabs for Canon in D?
But of course! (Just had the ridiculous idea of this thread being written completely in classical talk/vernacular or whatever proper term).

If thou click'th on the YouTube description from Corey's version, thou shall see a link to The Ukulele Review!! There, one will find many a video and link to a plethora of songs, including those that fit within the topic of this thread (Prelude in E Major, Canon in D, and Presto ... I DARE YOU!!! I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU!!!!) ok... that last bit was in 'A Christmas Story' vernacular. 'Tis acceptable to stray from thine own intentions.

Anyways... enjoy!!!

"Do either of you (or anyone else) have a recommended/suggested source for tabs for Canon in D?

This is the version I was telling you about...
Definitely simpler than Corey's, but I think it's still fun to play.
If you want to try I can send the tab (it's handwritten but quite understandable).
If anything, don't give compliments😊

PS:I had to decrease the quality of the file because it was too large 😔

Attachments

• Canon in D.mp3
    3.1 MB
Here is my arrangement of Greensleeves (16th century English folk song) for low G ukulele. If you find some odd sounding chords, that's my fault. 😀 I hope you still enjoy the result.

Very nice! Great arrangement and beautifully played! Love the major ending. (Picardy third?)🙂

#GymnopedieNo1

I would love to hear your take on this 3 years later. I think it's quite fun to go back to songs you learned once and see just how far you've come.

Also, this thread is quite fun to listen to. I'll pop in now and again even though I won't be participating as I don't play classical (some of you in the Seasons probably know all too well).

I am so glad that Amie started this thread. I know that a lot of the members here play ukulele primarily as an accompaniment to their singing. Personally, I hate my voice, I have the vocal range of a bullfrog with laryngitis, and the only singing I enjoy is other people's songs. So, the opportunity and encouragement to record and share instrumental pieces, particularly in the classical genre, is right up my alley (NOT the tin pan one!). I hope a lot more of you are encouraged to put out your own instrumental versions of classical tunes, and maybe at some point, we can add challenges for other instrumental styles (jazz, folk, country, bluegrass, Celtic, etc.) As has been pointed out, nobody here expects perfection! Most of us here are not professionals but we like to make music, no matter how flawed. Keep the recordings coming. I guarantee you that no one will be critical but only encouraging! :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom