Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

Love this thread, thanks Amie.
I thought about playing one of the most famous pieces of the classical guitar repertoire, on the ukulele.
The song is by Narciso Yepes and is titled Jeux Interdits.
Even though I used the low G strings, I still feel the lack of bass but I think that in the end the result is pleasant.
I would then like to know your impressions please 😊
Thanks, greetings everyone

View attachment 165096
The result is very pleasant, indeed! Wonderful playing!

Thanks everyone for sharing all the sheet music/tabs! Wow, ask and ye shall receive!
I hope a lot more of you are encouraged to put out your own instrumental versions of classical tunes, and maybe at some point, we can add challenges for other instrumental styles (jazz, folk, country, bluegrass, Celtic, etc.)
I would love this too. I don't play any other genres, but I was very tempted to start a folk music thread. I very much encourage someone else to start some more threads like this one!

I agree, I love having the instrumental and work in progress theme going on here (although there are definitely some much more polished posts, too! Something to work towards).

Thanks for posting that and sharing your skill.

This is a general comment which I hope does not offend anyone, but when folk make a mistake or post something with an error in it the imperfections actually give me encouragement. Why would I say such a strange and potentially rude thing? Well, very few of us will ever play like a professional and many folk feel a little too shy and embarrassed to share what we can do. I’ve been playing instruments for many years; playing gives me pleasure, making music puts joy into the maker’s life. However, if I hadn’t realised - or decided - that it was OK to make mistakes and to not sound that good then I’d have given up.

Please, please folks bring on the music that you can make and let’s celebrate music making as made by ordinary folk who are just doing their best regardless of imperfection 👍. Some folk listen to records and note the imperfections in the hi-fi system, others ignore the crackles and the other imperfections and hear (past then to) the music. Let’s be folk who ignore the crackles and who (instead) listen to the music 🙂.

I embrace the imperfections because it means a human soul was responsible for the music -- rather than artificial intelligence.

I'm sorry she's sick, I hope that she's better soon
Unrelated to the above, but I want to wish @TBB's daughter a speedy recovery.
Thank you ☺️

I’ve always liked Chief Noda’s page, there aren’t a huge number of tabs by today’s standards, but he has arrangements for both reentrant and linear tuning. I’m sure I read on here that Chief Noda had sadly died a few years ago, I’m very grateful that his page has remained up.

The tab comes up very large, which can be a bit awkward if you’re someone who likes to print their music out!

(He has both high and low G arrangements of Pachabel’s Canon (in G))

Last edited:
A heads up! The season of the ukulele that starts tomorrow is about our musical heroes.

If one of your musical heroes happens to be a classical composer or musician… maybe you could share something on the seasons AND here over the next week.

Gaspar Sanz happens to be one of my musical heroes. I will see how it goes this week.

Just so you all know, imperfect instrumentals are welcome on the seasons, but YouTube is necessary for participation. It is also allowed to post only audio with a still image on a video. While appreciated, you don’t have to appear on screen if you don’t want.

In any case, I am going to continue to post here, and sometimes in the seasons when I have something that fits both.

🙂

Here's the second movement of Beethoven's Sonata Pathétique, as arranged by Ukulele Mike. Thanks.

That's a wonderful arrangement for ukulele, I really like all the variations, thanks for sharing with us.

And thanks @engravertom for the heads' up about the next season, that's great. I doubt I'll ever have it together enough to post to a seasons, but it's possible once my repertoire expands that a coincidence might align!

Okay, it’s Spanish, but it’s got a fair amount of tremolo so hopefully I’m not a scofflaw!

Here is Malagueña, work in progress on my Tyde Tenor. Great listening to everyone’s playing.

Ok…🙃🙂🙌🏻 …Wow! That’s great! I think Spanish stuff is right on and belongs here for sure. That stuff goes all the way back to the Vihuela and Baroque guitar periods. Great Picado and rasgueado! I’m not missing the two bass strings at all. Thanks for sharing this! 🙂🙏

Okay, it’s Spanish, but it’s got a fair amount of tremolo so hopefully I’m not a scofflaw!

Here is Malagueña, work in progress on my Tyde Tenor. Great listening to everyone’s playing.

Oh my goodness!!! That was magnificent!! And I love your Tyde Tenor. That is a marvellous instrument. Wow. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I look forward to when you've got the whole piece under your fingers!

Well, @engravertom used up all the over-the-top emoticons I would’ve picked to express my admiration. That was stupendous. I cannot believe the talent that has responded to this thread. It’s inspiring, and humbling. And that Tyde tenor! Wow!

I’m speechless. Well, I do have one comment — you forgot to include any of “the lumps, bumps, awkward pauses” that ploverwing noted in her original post. :) Nevertheless, your Malagueña gives us lesser mortals something to aspire to.

Joking aside, many thanks for posting your marvelous contribution, Mike. Viewing this thread is beginning to feel like attending a concert. In my PJ’s. :)

I’m speechless. Well, I do have one comment — you forgot to include any of “the lumps, bumps, awkward pauses” that ploverwing noted in her original post. :) Nevertheless, your Malagueña gives us lesser mortals something to aspire to.

Joking aside, many thanks for posting your marvelous contribution, Mike. Viewing this thread is beginning to feel like attending a concert. In my PJ’s. :)

Jan- so sweet. Thank you! I am first and foremost a Spanish guitarist but I’ve found the uke to be the guitar’s equal (and sometimes better) and pulling out nice melodies. Which is a roundabout way of saying I find myself playing a lot more uke than guitars these days!

I’ve moved on to another section
of the song and trust me there are a ton of lumps and bumps!

Well, @engravertom used up all the over-the-top emoticons I would’ve picked to express my admiration. That was stupendous. I cannot believe the talent that has responded to this thread. It’s inspiring, and humbling. And that Tyde tenor! Wow!
Thank you so much Patti! Agreed this thread has been a pleasure to participate in as both a player and a lover of good music!

Top Bottom