Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

Back to the Canon, I tried this arrangement by Mrpook. It's in C, but you can tune up to D6 or use a capo on the second fret. The tabs are in the description (link to his Google Drive).

Thanks for the link to this arrangement!

Actually, the other thing that's great about Jeff Peterson's videos is that he demonstrates how you need to keep your right hand relaxed and the power comes from the big knuckles down, not from the fingertips. My teacher really emphasizes the importance of this technique. It's perhaps a subtle distinction, and you might think you're already doing it, but see if you can differentiate the feeling between picking with your fingertips vs the power coming from the biggest joint and your fingertips being flexible and relaxed to achieve that beautiful flow!

Packed my coughing and spluttering daughter back home to London this afternoon (she’s actually a lot better 😊) and finally had a chance to record something for this lovely thread.
Chopin’s Nocturne op.9 No.2, one of my favourite pieces. I used to enjoy playing it on the piano, which isn’t to say anyone enjoyed listening to me playing it on the piano 🤣 Anyway, here it is on soprano ukulele. Definitely a WIP, I think I need to work on the phrasing and timing and ideally I’d like to commit it to memory.

(Recorded on my iPhone, so apologies for poor sound)

Packed my coughing and spluttering daughter back home to London this afternoon (she’s actually a lot better 😊) and finally had a chance to record something for this lovely thread.
Chopin’s Nocturne op.9 No.2, one of my favourite pieces. I used to enjoy playing it on the piano, which isn’t to say anyone enjoyed listening to me playing it on the piano 🤣 Anyway, here it is on soprano ukulele. Definitely a WIP, I think I need to work on the phrasing and timing and ideally I’d like to commit it to memory.

I am humbled by your playing. Honestly, I am speechless.

Absolutely beautiful, and it sounds just right, you nailed the musicality wonderfully. So there are some rough spots (barely! I'd be delighted if my rough spots were that brilliant), but this is such a lovely piece played with so much gentleness and love.

ETA glad to hear your daughter is improving!

Reactions: TBB

By leaving when she did, your daughter missed a very lovely treat. Fortunately for us, we had front row seats. Thanks for sharing your video, TBB. Your musicality shone through the entire Nocturne.

Last edited:

Beautifully played!

Absolutely beautiful, and it sounds just right, you nailed the musicality wonderfully. So there are some rough spots (barely! I'd be delighted if my rough spots were that brilliant), but this is such a lovely piece played with so much gentleness and love.

ETA glad to hear your daughter is improving!
By leaving when she did, your daughter missed a very lovely treat. Fortunately for us, we had front row seats. Thanks for sharing the your video, TBB. Your musicality shone through the entire Nocturne.
Thank you both so much. This thread feels like a kind of safe space, in the same way that SOTU does, it’s nice to be able to share things here without feeling like you’re exposing yourself to the scary masses!

Very nice!

What a lovely interpretation—so delicate and sensitive! And that pineapple sounds luscious. Thanks so much for this.

Ok, my first one recorded after this thread got started. This will qualify as “in progress “ for sure!

Lovely. Love the nice clear tones you pull from your uke.

That is beautiful! I love your interpretation of this piece! It’s a favorite of mine, too!

A new member joined UU last summer with the stated desire to learn ukulele, in order to play her favorite song, malaguena. Unfortunately, she has since left our community. I played the malaguena score she posted occasionally throughout last summer, up until I forgot about it. A few days ago, a stunning malaguena was posted here, and then I remembered. This is not a work in progress, but a work recalled from cobwebs. It's a bit rough.

View attachment 165339

Great work on this! I love the “major ish” middle section, and kudos for the tremolo!

Lovely, yes the notes are very clear and ringing. What strings do you have on it now?
I have 4 strings from a Timple set. The same strings I have on my soprano travel uke tuned as a machete, which I used for “Moon Over A Ruined Castle”.

I just didn’t like using tenor strings on this, as I had to tune low to get the tension I like, and those fluorocarbon strings sounded too muddy. I was hoping to get up to D tuning with these strings, but they are getting really tight at C#. Except for the C string. The intervals on the Timple are a half step different on the third string, so the gauge is not quite right for my use here.

I feel pretty confident that Reds will give me a bright sound, even if I tune down from C. But I have only done that on a concert scale. Maybe I will order concert strings and hope they fit the tenor scale.

thanks for the listen!

Top Bottom