Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

A new member joined UU last summer with the stated desire to learn ukulele, in order to play her favorite song, malaguena. Unfortunately, she has since left our community. I played the malaguena score she posted occasionally throughout last summer, up until I forgot about it. A few days ago, a stunning malaguena was posted here, and then I remembered. This is not a work in progress, but a work recalled from cobwebs. It's a bit rough.

View attachment 165339

I looked for Malagueña in my copy of Volume I of the Graded Repertoire and couldn't find it (granted, I might just not have seen it) - is it in a different publication?
Hmm, starting to think I might need this Jeff Peterson book..
Lol yes!

Reactions: TBB
Reactions: TBB
Here ’tis:

I wish there were something similar for high 4th. I know there are many collections out there, but I don’t know of a comprehensive method or graded collection of classical ukulele music for high g. I think Samantha Muir has a beginner level book.

Anyway, my journey is going ok. This thread and budding community is a great help to me! I’m more motivated than ever! 🙂

I looked for Malagueña in my copy of Volume I of the Graded Repertoire and couldn't find it (granted, I might just not have seen it) - is it in a different publication?
You didn't miss it, it is not in the Repertoire book. It is a free download from the YouTube lesson link or right here. Jeff classifies it as a Grade 5 piece.

Cool! It looks like a good workout even for high g. Thanks for sharing!
I am looking forward to working on the separate sections that Peterson breaks down in his video and just using them as exercises for now. Maybe... One day... I'll be able to string them all together!

I agree! I’m very hopeful that this thread is going to help me to focus, I seem to have so little time for uke at the moment I can’t afford to be switching indecisively between pieces!
I have found this thread to be so inspiring! And very heartening to hear others' works in progress shared.

Here's something that I occasionally doodle on ukulele. My timing is not the traditional timing, particularly in the second part. It's how I like it though. I also play it unadorned, because I enjoy the peaceful openness between the notes.

Ar Hyd y Nos" (English: All Through the Night) is a Welsh song sung to a tune that was first recorded in Edward Jones' Musical and Poetical Relics of the Welsh Bards (1784).

Last edited:
Here's something that I occasionally doodle on ukulele. My timing is not the traditional timing, particularly in the second part. It's how I like it though. I also play it unadorned, because I enjoy the peaceful openness between the notes.

Ar Hyd y Nos" (English: All Through the Night) is a Welsh song sung to a tune that was first recorded in Edward Jones' Musical and Poetical Relics of the Welsh Bards (1784).

That's a beautiful piece! I will have to look for that, too (so much music...)

Very nice! I like your style of interpretation, and you get a great clear and strong sound from your soprano!

Top Bottom