CNC again

Timbuck

Reaction score
My Son Mike is starting to show some interest in CNC wood carving for musical instruments ... normally he uses CNC for his electronic Drums business mostly on metals and plastics, but he has now started testing out different cutters on scraps of wood... I don't know what's on his mind but it could be Ukulele making.

IMG_5837.jpeg

Nice! Cool to have a son following in your footsteps! Taylor guitars has been using CNC to produce their necks for many years- I suspect many other companies as well.... does a great job of producing superb necks!

I believe many makers using cnc these days use it to do the first pass shaping of the neck. Often even leaving the headstock and heel for later. If they are using dovetail joints, that cut would have to be performed during a different step of the process. Still a massive time savings and repeatable accuracy.

Taylor Guitars was one of the first major companies also to master the bolt-on neck as a legitimate attachment method for acoustic guitars.
Also the first "non-clubby" acoustic guitar necks compared to Gibson and Martin.

I think you will find that Levin, Fylde not to mention several 30's factories had mastered the bolt on neck long before Taylor

I think you will find that Levin, Fylde not to mention several 30's factories had mastered the bolt on neck long before Taylor
I do believe you may be right... I was thinking modern era only.

I owned a vintage S/H Harmony plectrum guitar in the 1960s with a bolt on neck and it was also adjustable with the same bolt at the back of the heel , not internal. A bit like this one. I still have the bolt somewhere it has a square head like a drum tension screw.

IMG_5962.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom