Acquired Concert or Tenor Pohaku Deco (Further Edited)

Price
Depends.
Shipping
N/A
Size
Concert or Tenor

SkeeterAB

Reaction score
Hi All,

After trying a crazy number of ukuleles in the past few months I realized that there is one more thing I am looking for, a certain harp-like tone that I have so far only found in my Pohaku Deco concert 10 (Mahogany) and in my aNueNue Moon Bird soprano.

My Pohaku Deco is the smaller Pohaku concert 10 size that is in between a soprano and a concert. I would really love to find a used Pohaku Deco in a concert or tenor size. I would prefer one that is not mahogany as the one I already have is mahogany, but I could still be tempted by a lovely mahogany one. I have looked at his other styles, but mostly it is his Deco ukes that I find irresistible.

I bought my aNueNue Moon Bird soprano because it was at a sufficiently low price I could try it out without breaking the bank. The sound is amazing, but I would really prefer a concert or tenor size. I am a big fan of cedar and will eventually want to buy a cedar topped ukulele so a Cedar Bird is really tempting too. If anyone has a concert or tenor size used Moon Bird or Cedar Bird to sell, I would likely be interested.

*Edit-I just bought a used tenor Cedar Bird, but am still interested in a concert or tenor Pohaku Deco and a concert Moon Bird.

*Further Edit-I just bought a used concert Moon Bird.

I realize both of these are long shots as they are popular ukuleles that people tend to keep instead of sell, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Anita

p.s. Now that I have figured out what I want next, you might see some of my recent impulse/catch and release purchases pop up in the Marketplace today and in the next week.

Last edited:
I have played the Moonbird, cedar bird, UT3K and Lion. I like the UT3K best, then the lion, cedar, Moonbird. All based purely on sound not looks. I really like the Koa sound on their built. Ian O’Sullivan has 2 that he played on the TUS podcast and I think you can’t get better sound samples and playing demo than that. I know he has a UT5K and another that I can’t remember from an older podcast.

Is there a difference between a Pohaku "Deco concert 10" and a "Concert 10"?

Is there a difference between a Pohaku "Deco concert 10" and a "Concert 10"?
The Concert 10 is the size, which is a size term specific to Pohaku ukes. Link to size reference guide below.

Deco is a group of styles that he (Peter Hurney) uses for some of his ukuleles. They are inspired by the Art Deco period. He uses “Deco” in the name for many of them and refers to them as “Deco” in his description. He used to use a special “Deco” label inside on the neck block that is different than his normal label, but the more recent ones have the normal label. Most of his Deco ukes have a head with an art deco shape and design with an art deco inspired inlay.

He makes ukes with a wide variety of styles not just art deco. Here is a link to a gallery of some of his ukes showing his different designs and styles.

Here are links to some of his Deco ukes, which range in price based on materials and complexity of design.

Here is a link to the one I have:

Last edited:
Hi All,

After trying a crazy number of ukuleles in the past few months I realized that there is one more thing I am looking for, a certain harp-like tone that I have so far only found in my Pohaku Deco concert 10 (Mahogany) and in my aNueNue Moon Bird soprano.

My Pohaku Deco is the smaller Pohaku concert 10 size that is in between a soprano and a concert. I would really love to find a used Pohaku Deco in a concert or tenor size. I would prefer one that is not mahogany as the one I already have is mahogany, but I could still be tempted by a lovely mahogany one. I have looked at his other styles, but mostly it is his Deco ukes that I find irresistible.

I bought my aNueNue Moon Bird soprano because it was at a sufficiently low price I could try it out without breaking the bank. The sound is amazing, but I would really prefer a concert or tenor size. I am a big fan of cedar and will eventually want to buy a cedar topped ukulele so a Cedar Bird is really tempting too. If anyone has a concert or tenor size used Moon Bird or Cedar Bird to sell, I would likely be interested.

I realize both of these are long shots as they are popular ukuleles that people tend to keep instead of sell, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Anita

p.s. Now that I have figured out what I want next, you might see some of my recent impulse/catch and release purchases pop up in the Marketplace in the next week.
If I were you, I'd have Peter build exactly what you want. Doesn't take very long, and his prices are an absolute bargain. And the whole process is fun too.

I have played the Moonbird, cedar bird, UT3K and Lion. I like the UT3K best, then the lion, cedar, Moonbird. All based purely on sound not looks. I really like the Koa sound on their built. Ian O’Sullivan has 2 that he played on the TUS podcast and I think you can’t get better sound samples and playing demo than that. I know he has a UT5K and another that I can’t remember from an older podcast.
Thank you. I appreciate the advice from someone who has actually played all of them.

Have you considered 'Oli ukuleles? Mika from the Ukulele Site said in the video that this cedar/acacia concert sounded harp-like

Have you considered 'Oli ukuleles? Mika from the Ukulele Site said in the video that this cedar/acacia concert sounded harp-like

I hadn’t really thought about ‘Oli ukes because I was looking to buy used and they are pretty new. That one you linked to is really lovely. Thank you for the suggestion:) I will have to look around for comparisons with the Moon Birds and listen to sound samples.

I love it when they sample one they clearly just want to cuddle. That is just gorgeous sound!

I hadn’t really thought about ‘Oli ukes because I was looking to buy used and they are pretty new. That one you linked to is really lovely. Thank you for the suggestion:) I will have to look around for comparisons with the Moon Birds and listen to sound samples.
Literally spent 3 1/2 hours at their store in Haleiwa a week ago playing every ukulele I wanted to put my hands on, and can confirm, the cedar/acacia Oli is an amazing AMAZING sounding/looking ukulele. I couldn’t put it down and when I did, I went right back to it to play to think about my decision. Lol, ultimately left with an ANueNue UC100 because it was what I was looking for. I prefer concerts, and the Oli I played was a tenor. If I was set on a tenor, no doubt that would’ve been the choice 110%. Very warm, stunning looks, easy to play, ergonomically pleasing, and amazing volume.

Hmm, if I had heard about the Oli before buying the Cedar Bird I might have bought the Oli instead. That is what I get for my lack of patience:) I do love the Cedar Bird, but the cost of that particular Oli is significantly less than I paid for my used Cedar Bird.

Hmm, if I had heard about the Oli before buying the Cedar Bird I might have bought the Oli instead. That is what I get for my lack of patience:) I do love the Cedar Bird, but the cost of that particular Oli is significantly less than I paid for my used Cedar Bird.
Really another reason why I recommend that ukulele. What you get for the price is CRAZY. not exaggerating at all with that. the whole Oli line are amazing amazing ukuleles. But again… the cedar/acacia stood out compared to the rest in n my opinion. Even including the KOA version. The sound of the cedar/acacia blew me away. Brey, the guy working the shop that day even knew what was up when I started playing it. Thing was magical.

Top Bottom